Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Beat me to it. Search "Z1000 mid pipe" on eBay and there you go.

·
Registered
794 Posts
No, you cut the stock exhaust behind the O2 sensor. No tune needed. No, you don't get a 20 HP gain. You do get rid of the CAT heat.

Reactions: agurudev

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yes, they claim you lose 6 pounds. Sound is my biggest concern. I'm going to run it with stock mufflers and want it to NOT be much louder. My tinnitus inflicted loss of hearing is most likely caused by my previous love of loud pipes.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You know if you replaced your battery with a Li-Ip battery you'll probably lose 4 lbs.

I mean all that trouble for 6 lbs. and maybe nicer sound.....better off replacing the mufflers. Just my opinion. Yeah I know. It's not my money to spend. :censored: It probably would look slimmer without the cat.

·
Registered
794 Posts
My main goal is losing a bunch of heat. One thing the '18 has a lot more of than my '11 or '14 is HEAT. The least bit of slow/stop riding in the heat and the heat just roils out from under the bike. I don't know if it's new Euro or EPA standards or my specific bike or what but my '18 reeks when you start it (rich mixture to heat up cat) and just radiates heat when I stop. Fine in the winter, not so fine this summer. Everything else about it is great and it gets 1 to 1.5 more mpg than my previous ninjas did.
I think it's highly unlikely 4# or 6# weight loss is noticeable.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My main goal is losing a bunch of heat. One thing the '18 has a lot more of than my '11 or '14 is HEAT. The least bit of slow/stop riding in the heat and the heat just roils out from under the bike. I don't know if it's new Euro or EPA standards or my specific bike or what but my '18 reeks when you start it (rich mixture to heat up cat) and just radiates heat when I stop. Fine in the winter, not so fine this summer. Everything else about it is great and it gets 1 to 1.5 more mpg than my previous ninjas did.
I think it's highly unlikely 4# or 6# weight loss is noticeable.
I agree that the heat on this bike in stock trim is quite a bit. The sole of my right feet used to get a lot of the heat, especially like you mentioned in the stop-go traffic.

The replacement to a Y-pipe helped quite a bit, I have posted pics elsewhere in the forum. I also de-catted it when the Y-pipe was installed and ran with stock cans for some time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I agree that the heat on this bike in stock trim is quite a bit. The sole of my right feet used to get a lot of the heat, especially like you mentioned in the stop-go traffic.

The replacement to a Y-pipe helped quite a bit, I have posted pics elsewhere in the forum. I also de-catted it when the Y-pipe was installed and ran with stock cans for some time.

How did it sound with the cat delete and stock cans?

·
Registered
374 Posts
My solution to heat at stops: don't stop. LOL! Or here in California we get to split lanes and keep moving, thank goodness!

·
Registered
315 Posts
How did it sound with the cat delete and stock cans?
Little more bassier than stock and very slightly louder, sorry, don't have videos and I now have aftermarket cans on them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My solution to heat at stops: don't stop. LOL! Or here in California we get to split lanes and keep moving, thank goodness!
I wish, you should see the traffic here in Bangalore. Had posted a pic earlier in another thread

·
Registered
141 Posts
Question....I have the Leo Vince LV one Evo slip on's on my 14.....they mated up perfectly to the stock header. If I get the Akra 4-2 full Headers, will my Leo slip ons's still bolt on/mate up to them?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I wish, you should see the traffic here in Bangalore. Had posted a pic earlier in another thread
I've seen it Agurudev. I've experienced traffic in other parts of Asia as well. I know it's bad. Bikes go anywhere where there's room to keep moving. Vehicles deadlocked and not moving and/or creeping along. Having said that, traffic where I live, can be quite bad at times depending on which area you're in. And if there's an accident, you could be stuck there creeping along for a while. And 98% of people are in cars and trucks.

The worst traffic I've ever experienced was in a small community north west of the urban jungle of Southern California. Ironically out in the countryside. It was 98 deg F outside with 80% humidity. The town was filled with tourists and signal lights and pedestrians lined the streets. I couldn't lane share because there was no room. My VFR800's coolant temp gauge was hovering at 215-220 deg and the fan was on FULL power high. Heat from other vehicles around me was filling the air. My bike was blowing hot air all around me. I couldn't move to get air flow so the bike was sitting in heat soak. Yeah it sucked.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
183 Posts
I've seen it Agurudev. I've experienced traffic in other parts of Asia as well. I know it's bad. Bikes go anywhere where there's room to keep moving. Vehicles deadlocked and not moving and/or creeping along. Having said that, traffic where I live, can be quite bad at times depending on which area you're in. And if there's an accident, you could be stuck there creeping along for a while. And 98% of people are in cars and trucks.

The worst traffic I've ever experienced was in a small community north west of the urban jungle of Southern California. Ironically out in the countryside. It was 98 deg F outside with 80% humidity. The town was filled with tourists and signal lights and pedestrians lined the streets. I couldn't lane share because there was no room. My VFR800's coolant temp gauge was hovering at 215-220 deg and the fan was on FULL power high. Heat from other vehicles around me was filling the air. My bike was blowing hot air all around me. I couldn't move to get air flow so the bike was sitting in heat soak. Yeah it sucked.
Do you remember what city you were in?

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've never been in Bangalore but I have spent time motorvating around Kolkata. I suspect it's similar. It's great when a couple of cows decide to lie down in the middle of an intersection blocking 5 lanes of traffic from all directions.

But like OCL, I ran into the worst heat/traffic here in the states. Remember the eclipse a couple years ago? Went to eastern Oregon to watch it. Getting OUT of eastern OR there was a line of cars that ran all the way back to Portland (I think). It moved 2 car lengths every 5-10 seconds and by noon it was >100 degrees. My buddy on his Triumph Tiger had it die. It fried the battery and, as we later found out, the R/R and stator. The trusty 2014 Ninja got hot but kept on going with the fan on much of the time.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Question....I have the Leo Vince LV one Evo slip on's on my 14.....they mated up perfectly to the stock header. If I get the Akra 4-2 full Headers, will my Leo slip ons's still bolt on/mate up to them?
It should. And I daresay it would. I started off with G&G Moto2 cans on stock header but didn’t find any joy in that setup so got the Akrapovic headers and the cans fitted perfectly with those. Exhaust can manufacturers are aware that the best headers are made by Akrapovic and Arrow so I’m sure that is taken into account by them when designing the mounting system. The Y-pipe diameter is always the same anyways so it’s just a matter of pulling the springs on to the ‘hook’ welded to the Y-pipe.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts