Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my 2019 Ninja 1000 is too quiet. What are some good slip-ons
out there that sound good, and maybe not too expensive? Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Razilla seems to point to the megaphone? But they are pricey! The Vance and Hines urban brawler one is discontinued I believe. They were very reasonable as far as price. I was going to try to find a used set but I am gonna go with a header.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Not sure how loud you are wanting to get. That belly wart is going to limit how much louder any slip-on could be. Even if you just stuck a drag pipe on the bread box outlet, it is only going to get so loud. If that'll work for you, there are a number of exhaust diverters (no cans) that you can get. They are all reasonably priced and should save you a good bit of weight too.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Two Brothers Black Series on my Z1000, and its a tad too loud for me. Are the $1200
Akrapovic worth it, or the $1000 Yoshimuras?? And on EBay there are some $60 Chinese Specials.

·
Registered
374 Posts
There are Chinese specials, then there are Chinese made Western brands, like Black Widow, Delkevic, etc. Some are really good. Others, is hit/miss. You'll find plenty of examples on You Tube. I do like the look of the TBR Black series. The Yosh are nice too. The Leo Vince are pricey but beautiful.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I had TBR Blacks on my Ninja with stock exhausts and really liked it. Got rid of the high frequencies and left a nice low tone. Looked great too. The 1 inch spacer on the hanger is to lower the pipes for luggage.

Reactions: dkaile and Volfy

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, I decided to go with the Two Brothers Black Carbon for $757 at Revzilla. Have them on
my Z1000, and like the low sound. They sell db silencers for them as well. Thanks for the posts.

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
Ocl, I think you are in to something there. There are chinese specials and I really wonder how long that list might be. I believe Akrapovic makes their own stuff. There are enough photos out there of their manufacturing facility to offer a decent amount if proof.

Some of the others, I'm not so sure. When I bought my Leo Vince slip ons, the set I bought was under 300. They had sets for 300...600....and 900. They all looked the same. It made me wonder if mine were really chinese built. No issues, it's a good system, but it was very cheap as compared to their other offerings.

My fake Rizoma rearsets are proof that China can build really good stuff.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I could not wait to get a Delkevic slip-on for my N400, the stock muffler was hideous and it sounded like an ATV with more engine noise.

My N1000 engine sound is quite pleasing even though the exhaust is pretty quiet. It's certainly not the sound I grew up with and that was a '72 CB750 with a 4-1 header and megaphone exhaust. And I am probably in the minority but I like the look of the dual exhaust on my '17. I would like a mid-pipe cover on the left side similar to the right side but can live with it.

Exhaust and ears are like seats and ***, we all have an *** but one seat don't fit all...

I think I will use the money for slip-ons to get Apex 4" clip-ons that will surely make riding more comfortable.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two Brothers makes their own too in the USA. Now they also sell db silencers, two different, to reduce noise by
2 to 3 db, or around 8 db, because their's are very loud otherwise. The Carbon Black M2 for $757 is a good deal, IMO.
By the way, I found these ear plugs to be excellent: Amazon.com: Reusable Silicone Ear Plugs - ANBOW Waterproof Noise Reduction Earplugs for Sleeping, Swimming, Snoring, Concerts, 32dB Highest NRR, 3 Pairs with Bonus Travel Pouch: Health & Personal Care
Without them, my Two Brothers would be painful.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
183 Posts
I have the Leo Vince Factory S Carbon slip ons. They look good, work with the factory bags, sound better without being obnoxious. Prices vary whether on eBay or going with an established business. A member on here named Jonathan Long did a nice YouTube video on the pipe. Check it out by using his name. I'm going to try and attach a photo of mine.
20200404_105506.jpg
20200131_064658.jpg
20191222_182335.jpg

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice! On a different note, I've always been a green fan, my 2011 z1000 is metallic green, but the
black color is pretty awesome too!

·
Registered
374 Posts
If I were to choose, I'd do these. I may be old school. I prefer these over the traditional TBR carbon weave.

Having said that, I really have no burning desire to replace my OEM. From an aesthetic standpoint looking through my personal lens, I honestly think the OEM muffler is unique and handsome compared to the bazooka sized sewer pipes they're using on today's newer bikes.

Untitled by rogue_biker, on Flickr

·
Registered
315 Posts
I love the SP Engineering slip-ons. They are in between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke. The best example of the sound on YouTube is on this link, listen to the 2nd part.

Reactions: OCL

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya, the stock muffler look good, but I need more noise to get more enjoyment out of driving the motorcycle.
Otherwise, silently floating on a cloud can be kinda boring.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
183 Posts
For some of us, the stock muffler gets in the way of our boots. In corners, putting toes on the foot pegs would be a bit awkward since we'd hit our feet on the muffler. It doesn't happen with most aftermarket.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One thing I like about the stock mufflers, is from the rear it reminds me of a 73 Z1 I had back in 1978.

·
Registered
794 Posts
You're not floating fast enough!
Ya, the stock muffler look good, but I need more noise to get more enjoyment out of driving the motorcycle.
Otherwise, silently floating on a cloud can be kinda boring.
You are obviously not floating fast enough...:cool:

Reactions: RobF and rcannon409
1 - 20 of 66 Posts