Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im needing to find a good phone holder mount for my 2012 nk1, i need to check it from time to time because of my work, when im on a mountain ride etc its inconvienant to stop ever so often just to check it,the sw motech gps mount that attatches to the front screws holding on the tank looks neat but i really didnt see a phone attatchment so i dont know if you could retrofit anything to it, what do you all use

·
Registered
711 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree that the RAM mount system overall is very flexible and and well designed. But I have to warn you all that the X-Grip holder released my phone at 60 MPH (on my Harley not Ninja). I wouldn't trust it anymore. The phone fell into the grass on the side of the road and I was able to recover it unharmed because of the rubber Otter case. I ended up making my own holder that the phone slides into and locks in. But it's still supported by the RAM mount system.

RAM mount, hands down. I bought one and can't think of why I never bought one before.

http://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Motorcycle-X-Grip-Holder-Phones/dp/B010HT2U0G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463856690&sr=8-2&keywords=RAM+mount+phone+stem

RAM Mounts - Mobile Mounting Solutions for Phones, Tablets, Laptops, Camera & more

First link is the product I used. Second is the company's website. They have many different applications.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yikes older rider i dont want that lol

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah, I was lucky it was a two lane straight flat road without much traffic or it could have been quite dangerous.

And the thought of loosing a smart phone these days with everything we keep on it is very frightening.

You need a fool proof design for something as valuable as your phone.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm using a Motorcycle Larry stem ram ball nut (with ball) and a 2" arm and X ram mount.

Stem ball nut (don't forget to order the ball too) : CONCOURS 1400 TRIPLE TREE RAM BALL NUT [8016 CO 1400 TCNUT] - $31.95 : MotorCycleLarry.com, Wholesale Parts Factory Direct

The 2" arm : Amazon.com: RAM Mounts RAM DBL SOCKET ARM A-LENGTH Body Other Bases BLK- RAM-B-201U-A: Cell Phones & Accessories

The X mount : Amazon.com: Ram Mount Cradle Holder for Universal X-Grip Cellphone/iPhone with 1-Inch Ball - Non-Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

The X mount has a rubber safety thing behind it that you wrap around the corners of the phone for extra safety...

I've only been using it a month but so far, it's holding up.. Even without the safety piece it's not getting loose on the dirt roads, 2 lanes or amusing speeds on the freeway...

I'm using an IPhone 6.. If you have one of the phablets you may need the bigger X mount (or one of the other style Ram mounts).

~Mark

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, it's worth mentioning I have a Note 4 which is large, plus the big Otter case. So a normal X Grip was too small and I had to order a bigger one. Maybe they should have put a stronger spring in the big one to handle the extra weight.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I agree that the RAM mount system overall is very flexible and and well designed. But I have to warn you all that the X-Grip holder released my phone at 60 MPH (on my Harley not Ninja). I wouldn't trust it anymore. The phone fell into the grass on the side of the road and I was able to recover it unharmed because of the rubber Otter case. I ended up making my own holder that the phone slides into and locks in. But it's still supported by the RAM mount system.
Yikes!

I do have reservations about the X-grip that RAM uses holding my phone with the OtterBox on. With more minimalist cases (like my Incipio) it doesn't bother me as much, as it holds it more firm.

I have tickled the higher RPM ranges of the higher gears without having any lose issues with my phone. I'm not at liberty to say what speed.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I use a Ram but mount it off the left brackets. Only issue I have is that I need to remove the phone if I put the screen down to 'race' mode.
GaryK for the win. I will from here forward refer to the windshield positions as sport touring, sport, and race...lol

Well played Sir.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes garyk i like that terminology, i keep mine in the race mode lol, i was looking at th southwest motech ninja 1000 guick release mount, it sayys it accepts ram 208 and bag attatchment, looks like there is no way the phone could come out of the bag but one guy reported phone wentinto over heat mode while zipped up in the bag.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I use the SW Motech mount on my bike and love it. When you unclip it its as if theres nothing there. Now I bought it for use with my old Garmin GPS, but that kinda crapped out on me. So I got an universal ram mount for my cell phone that bolts right to the Motech mount, which accepts certain RAM bolt patterns.

I cant find it, so I'm not sure how large it can get, but this is the picture on RAMs site (but no link to it ironically)

When i get home ill take a picture of my setup, the phones pretty snug in there too. ( A LOT more snug than the picture suggests)

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
I ended up going this route:

Stem Mount:

I went with this stem mount because of complaints about the RAM/rounded rubber compression type ones spinning and not being very stable. This one fits in perfectly, shipped quickly from the UK and works great. Attached to it is a RAM 2" inch extension and then a X-grip for larger phones (I have a 2015 moto x). I have not had any issues with the x-grip holding the phone, but I will say that you will want to take the rubber pieces off, put a few drops of glue into them and re-seat them back down on the metal legs. Mine were working there was off.

Mount is nice and stable, doesn't bounce around. I will say that you want to make sure that it has some angle to it, if you don't, braking and cornering will cause the screen to rotate, which is you are using it as a gps, might make things a little difficult. So long as you are moving, if it rains, it stays fairly dry there as well so if you ever get caught out, you should be fine to get pulled over somewhere to put it in a waterproof place.

Some Pics:

http://i.imgur.com/pfrPJ3I.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mP4z623.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Kkg7376.jpg

·
Registered
125 Posts
RAM mount, hands down. I bought one and can't think of why I never bought one before.

http://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Motorcycle-X-Grip-Holder-Phones/dp/B010HT2U0G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463856690&sr=8-2&keywords=RAM+mount+phone+stem

RAM Mounts - Mobile Mounting Solutions for Phones, Tablets, Laptops, Camera & more

First link is the product I used. Second is the company's website. They have many different applications.
This is the exact one I use.. Works perfect and I can use landscape or portrait mode no problemo.... Holds my Nexus 6P (Big *** phone) no sweat and even has very little vibration...

Best overall mod for the buck that isn't invasive and is easy as pie to install..

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I use the SW Motech mount on my bike and love it. When you unclip it its as if theres nothing there. Now I bought it for use with my old Garmin GPS, but that kinda crapped out on me. So I got an universal ram mount for my cell phone that bolts right to the Motech mount, which accepts certain RAM bolt patterns.

I cant find it, so I'm not sure how large it can get, but this is the picture on RAMs site (but no link to it ironically)

When i get home ill take a picture of my setup, the phones pretty snug in there too. ( A LOT more snug than the picture suggests)
Do you use the sw motech mount that mounts by the two screws that hold the gas tank on.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Geeze theres alot of mounts out there, im looking at all the options you guys posted, really appreciated

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I believe thats what im ordering iron crux, does it mout on top of the tank tabs or do you lift the tank up and put the mounting part under the tank tabs then put your bolts back in

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea thats the one I use. It will hold any RAM-B-238-compatible RAM Mount, and is not in the way of the instruments.
Im trying to figure out iron crux what to order, im wanting to mount one of the bags mounts which has a flat plate made in it to mount, looking at the quick mount that goes to your tank it has a side bar to select like a gps mount for different gps i think the bag i looked at said would fit a 238 mount but i dont see that option

1 - 20 of 38 Posts