Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2015 NK1 and want to do a tail tidy. So I got a Yoshimura license plate holder and do want to eliminate the turn signals too. Custom Dynamics is a company that sells lots of LED products and they do have one for the NK1, but the 2015 version won't be released for another 5 weeks or so. That got me thinking maybe there is something as good or better.

I have looked at videos of other products but its hard to tell how good or bright they are.

So here's the question: Has anybody done this mod and which brand of integrated tail light did you use. And most important, are you happy with the light that you chose?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean regarding the 2015 N1K release. It should be the same as the 2014 version which is already out. The Blaster X one from Custom Dynamics is actually made by Custom LED (unless something has changed). Based on videos and feedback I could find on this version vs the Moto Dynamic version, I went with Custom LED. I really liked the feature set and feedback from side by side comparisons seemed to be unanimous that this version is brighter. I can tell you, just like my Custom Dynamics turn signals on Harleys, this thing is blindingly bright if you look at it straight on. No regrets with my decision. I did go with the Moto Dynamic tail tidy and am happy with the unit, after I painted the plate LED (as it was blindingly bright from behind until I made it a focused beam)

FYSA, I also purchased the relay (keeps standard blinker speed if removing factory turn signals) and switch (lets you access the programming and strobe mode, though I didn't change anything). I'm sure both units are adequate, but like I said, I'm happy with my decision.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you look at Custom Dynamics web page that shows the Blaster X is says for 11-14 NK1. When I called to order one, I told them as far as I knew the 2014 and 2015 bikes were identical. So they called the manufacturer and they said there was some technical change on the bike that required them to do an update for the 2015 and 2016 models. The person at Custom Dynamics was just relaying the info from the manufacturer so I really don't know what could have possibly have changed for 2015.

But your info on the Blaster X is very helpful and based on that I am willing to wait to get that tail light vs. opting for another brand.

Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Interesting. I'd call CustomLED to find out more first-hand before waiting. I called with some questions and they were great in helping me out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I called the manufactured of the Blaster X- Custom LED and talked to the owner John.

He was extremely helpful and knew for sure that the Blaster X fit NK1s from 2011 to 2016. The info I was getting from Custom Dynamics (a dealer who sells the Baster X) was totally wrong. I am not sure where they were getting their info from regarding this tail light needing an update for 2015-16 models.

I placed an order from Custom LED because the owner was so helpful and clearly knew everything from a technical standpoint.

If you are considering an integrated tail light, this would be an excellent choice.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good feedback and I'm glad they were able to get you all set up. I think you'll really like it. I like Custom Dynamics, but like other resellers, misinformation can definitely happen. When there is a manufacturer with good customer support like CustomLED, we might as well cut out the middleman for inquiries.

Install is quick and straightforward. Good luck and enjoy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts