Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
I clicked on it. I had to.

The link went to sprocket center, but.....and after all that, I really expected something . A Virus? A seriously expensive chain, or maybe a sprocket.

So, I click and it says, ,"your cart is empty". If you are shopping there, pick the expensive one and you'll be ok.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about the low postings. My wife passed after a motorcycle wreck 3 years ago and I been a screwed up mess since then. But you didn't know that, so that's cool. I understand. Thanks for the comments. I'll try to contribute more. I have to do the chain, both sprockets, a rear tire, and rebuild the front shock tubes. Figure I'll tear into when the weather turns nasty. It's been since I have been riding. In fact, I rode today. It had rained for about a half hour pretty hard and since it had been dry multiple days prior, the crap on the road mixed with the water and became a soupy mess on the road surface. Slick as silicone snot. I switched to partial power, then activated the K track to position 3. I then went out and rode all over town. I found I could easily break a tire loose, but the bike would stumble and slow down, then reset and be ok. I LOVE the K-track.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
I have a 16 N1K and from my research this is the best O ring chain for the money I can find.

Thoughts?
I've found the longest lasting chain isn't O-ring, it's X-ring. DID 525 ZVMX plated. A bit more money, a bit longer lasting. 25-30k miles with any kind of reasonable care.

And Sprocket Center is a fine place to order from. I've used them several times.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I've found the longest lasting chain isn't O-ring, it's X-ring. DID 525 ZVMX plated. A bit more money, a bit longer lasting. 25-30k miles with any kind of reasonable care.
Same here. It's an excellent quality chain and worth the extra money.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I cannot add to anything as to which chain is best. I seldom have to replace chains. My only words of wisdom is that too loose is better than too tight!

Welcome to the forum. There are people here more screwed up than you are. It does not stop them from being good contributors :). There is a core group here who have owned N1Ks for quite a few years, and several, myself included, have owned more than one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cannot add to anything as to which chain is best. I seldom have to replace chains. My only words of wisdom is that too loose is better than too tight!

Welcome to the forum. There are people here more screwed up than you are. It does not stop them from being good contributors :). There is a core group here who have owned N1Ks for quite a few years, and several, myself included, have owned more than one.
Thanks!

This is what I have in my rder box that didn't show. Sounds good!
DID Chain 525 ZVMX Super-Street X'ring Chain - (choose color / choose length)

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
Doc, if that's in the cart, I don't know what chain I would recommend if you said you wanted something better . Welcome, and sorry to hear about your wife.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
You have what's needed to do the chain rivet, correct? You want to avoid using the clip, on a street bike. People do, but it isn't the best idea.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
Jim, did you ever have to deal with any of the endless chains? I don't remember what bike it was, but I did one, with my dad.

The chain was shipped without a link and you had to remove the swingarm to install. Not much fun when you had enough tools to change a spark plug, and not much else.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Jim, did you ever have to deal with any of the endless chains? I don't remember what bike it was, but I did one, with my dad.

The chain was shipped without a link and you had to remove the swingarm to install. Not much fun when you had enough tools to change a spark plug, and not much else.
No, never did. I’ve never had to take a swing arm off.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
I think it might have been on a cb750? The chain was massive. 630 size. I knew we were in trouble when my dad had to buy a socket, for the swingarm pivot, and he went to K Mart to look for one.

I was 7 and even I knew better than to go to K Mart.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have just ordered a Regina High Performance Endurance 525 chain with sprockets.
This is a chain which allegedly needs much less maintenance (lubing every 2000 kms) it was first used by BMW as option for the S1000xr model.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
We need details....that will be my next chain.

Who did you get it from? And how much? This is goofy, but will you please post a picture of the master link....before or after install is fine.

I know chains are like tires and oil. We all have our favorites. With that said, I don't think I would be able to come up with any argument to disagree with you. I believe you did find rhe best chain.

The only use report I saw wasn't 100% positive, but it if you read the story, the guy neglected it to death. He took "maintenance free" to heart and did nothing to the chain.

If you use common sense,and take care of it, I'll bet it gives a great service life.

Reactions: Factor5Fighter

·
Registered
31 Posts

Who did you get it from? And how much? This is goofy, but will you please post a picture of the master link....before or after install is fine.

I know chains are like tires and oil. We all have our favorites. With that said, I don't think I would be able to come up with any argument to disagree with you. I believe you did find rhe best chain.

The only use report I saw wasn't 100% positive, but it if you read the story, the guy neglected it to death. He took "maintenance free" to heart and did nothing to the chain.

If you use common sense,and take care of it, I'll bet it gives a great service life.

I’m with you.
I ordered it because I have mainly been riding shaft-driven motorcycles.
But I love my Ninja, and so much so that in the summer I will take her instead of the shaft driven garage mate she has, on a 4000 km trip through the Alps with a bunch of riding mates. That’s where the Regina comes in. The fact that the Ninja lacks a center stand and the high probability from experience that during the 10 days we will, at one point, hit some rain led me to that chain. I got the Ninja second hand and although the drive train is in good shape, I will exchange it for the Regina and new sprockets for the sake of piece of mind during the trip and beyond. Of course I know that Regina recommends to lube the chain after wet rides but with a ”normal” chain I would have to perform the lubing (I will carry a mini portable thingy to lift the rear) every other day (we will be riding most of the time around 300 km a day, to get there and back nearly 600 a day) and we are changing locations so everything which reduces hassle is more than welcome.
I ordered the chain online in Germany from Klaus Goerz, a small dealer with workshop. I payed 250€. I could have gotten it cheaper from the big online retailers but I had an intense exchange of mails with Mr Goerz before putting in the order and he was so helpful and available that it seemed only fair to buy it from him.
I will post pictures but mind you that I will only have it installed a couple of weeks before our departure in June. Until then I will put some more kilometres on the old one.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
The chain is not easy to find here in the USA. BMW has it, but it's expensive. Maybe I'll contact your guy to get one? Is yours marked BMW?

I've never had the money to have many dlc coated items. I've had a few tools, and suspension parts that had it.

If you guys havent seen this, dlc is slick and wear resistant. Diamond Like Coating. Think like a very high quality chrome, but better, and gold colored. I think you can also see dlc in black or rainbow. Rock would want a rainbow chain. It's somewhere around 500 to have fork tunes coated, not including disassembly, so it's expensive.

This stuff, rubbing the chains o rings has to be a good idea?

This fascinates me because if the chain doesn't wear, the sprockets have to last longer, I guess? They about have to.

I hope you'll keep us advised on this. If it really lasts longer, it might just be worth the extra money.

Reactions: kenors

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is still going to be my next chain. That thing took a 12k miles of abuse. With a little TLC I'd imagine that chain getting 3 or 4 times that mileage.

My last bike was a Harley. Say what you want about them but it was nice knowing the valves adjust themselves and belt drive meant eyeball it for cracks when you're bored.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts