Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting gas this morning, and when I went to close the gas tank with the key, I bent the crap out of it. It was almost a 45 degree angle. Now, I don't keep my spare with me, so I'm thinking I'm about to have to call someone. I was able to bend the key slowly almost straight, and it luckily worked in the ignition. I went back home and got my spare. Has anyone else had this happen with a Kawasaki key? Would this be covered under warranty? Also, can I go and get a spare made, or do I have to involve the dealer?
thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was getting gas this morning, and when I went to close the gas tank with the key, I bent the crap out of it. It was almost a 45 degree angle. Now, I don't keep my spare with me, so I'm thinking I'm about to have to call someone. I was able to bend the key slowly almost straight, and it luckily worked in the ignition. I went back home and got my spare. Has anyone else had this happen with a Kawasaki key? Would this be covered under warranty? Also, can I go and get a spare made, or do I have to involve the dealer?
thanks,
Adam
It is imperative that you Use both Hands with Kawasaki Gas Caps. 1 hand Keeping downward pressure on Fuel Door and the other slowly Opening the Lock mechenisim. Ive noticed this is the case with this 2014 model and my prior 2008 ZX6R.

Reactions: StumpyNB and mrsand

·
Registered
198 Posts
It is imperative that you Use both Hands with Kawasaki Gas Caps. 1 hand Keeping downward pressure on Fuel Door and the other slowly Opening the Lock mechenisim. Ive noticed this is the case with this 2014 model and my prior 2008 ZX6R.
Great tip and thanks to OP for the heads up. That could lead to a really bad day. I need to be more careful. I just turn and go w/o much thought.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
ebay has replacement blanks for cheap.....look carefully and you find some that are the exact part kawi wants 40,00 for.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blanks on ebay

Just found factory blank keys on ebay for $8 for two keys. Worth the investment. I like the idea of the two handed cap closure to make sure this won't happen again.
Adam

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bent one of my keys last month when I was in a hurry... Unbent it and it worked... Bent the second one yesterday with my luggage... Wondering, does the CDN Ninja 1000 2015 have a chip inside or no chip at all? If not, can I just buy "generic" blanks on ebay and have my OEM to be duplicated on those blanks? I found like 5 Kawasaki keys for 12$ or two for 8$. Thnx

Edit: Or, does Lowes for example would be able to duplicate my OEM key? I've been able to unbent both and they are working but would leave an extra one in my jacket...

5 PCS Black Blank KEY Uncut FOR Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R ZX10R ZX12R Z1000 Motorcycle | eBay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts