Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the bike was parked for about 2 weeks and battery was completely dead barley glowing the dash but no numbers or anything visible inside cluster and upon attempting to start needles to say it just made clicking chirping sounds and died.

I have nothing plugged in like a phone or gps and very surprised that a 2-3 month old bike with barely 1000 miles on would do that. I've had other bikes parked for 2 months and they started right up with the oem battery already being 4-5 years old.

What gives?

I called my local dealer and they told me to take it in so they can check and see if they can pinpoint the cause of draining battery.

Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bad battery, sounds like. Unless you accidentally left the ignition in the "P" position, which is super easy to do. Of course, if you did that, the battery would be completely flat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm guessing a defective battery
I guess so it's really strange.

Bad battery, sounds like. Unless you accidentally left the ignition in the "P" position, which is super easy to do. Of course, if you did that, the battery would be completely flat.
John, no I didn't leave the bike in P. It just went flat.
We'll see what the dealer says tomorrow. Should be interesting lol.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have to remind myself every time I lock the forks and turn the key to the far left. I have to move it one indent to the right so I don't leave the parking lights on. I'm not saying that's what you did but it is tricky.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

I've been back to the dealer many times 4-5 for the same issue since i posted here. Dealer spoke to Kawasaki about the issue and were told to replace the battery with a new one so they did. Sure enough 2 1/2 weeks later same thing D.E.A.D!

So i charged it up 6 hrs 2 amp slow charge and called them again. Was told to bring it in so they can look again.

Took bike in they ran their tests and couldn't pinpoint anything that could be wrong so the only thing or should i say excuse they found were the HID's. They were like oh it could be it so to rule that out change the headlight bulbs back to OEM. I've had HID's on all my previous bikes and not once otten problems. So when i got home i changed out the bulbs back to stocks.

Today was gonna go on a ride went to start the bike and uhhh you've guessed it.. D.E.A.D!! This is beyond frustrating!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Any signs of overcharging / dry battery ? I'd install a voltmeter and watch it for awhile to look for a pattern.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had another brand bike that had the same issue.
It turned out to be the instrument cluster had been installed incorrectly and one of the wires was making contact with something that cut and exposed some strands of the wire which grounded and slowly drained my battery.
this turned out to be a common problem with this brand, and model year.
I had brought the bike in repeatedly, and they could never find the problem until enough bikes with the same problem came in and they finally figured out that one wire was being routed wrong...
replaced the IC, and rerouted the wire and the bike was great after that...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Assuming you have changed the battery and all tests indicate you have a good alternator I would guess you have something draining the battery.

Years ago I had a problem with a car doing this and could not find the problem for weeks (new battery, tested alternator,etc...)until a friend got in the trunk and I shut it and sure enough the light was not going off (defective switch). Someone else had a glove compartment light not go off either.

I don't know what could cause a drain on your bike but look it over real good and see if you can find something. If you did mods you might want to start there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My battery dies constantly. At first I may have been guilty of turning the key too far but now I'm very careful about that. Every time I go to the bike its dead...... I love the bike but I hate dead batteries... I keep mine in storage and there is no power source or I would keep it on a tender.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
My battery dies constantly. At first I may have been guilty of turning the key too far but now I'm very careful about that. Every time I go to the bike its dead...... I love the bike but I hate dead batteries... I keep mine in storage and there is no power source or I would keep it on a tender.
How long does the bike sit in between rides? Bike batteries are small and much more fragile than large car batteries. If you have it sitting for weeks on end, I would probably take out the battery and put it on a tender in the house.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would just take it to another kawasaki dealer. Electrical problems are tricky. If it's under warranty, I don't see why you have to deal with it after speaking ding your hard earned money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts