Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Throttle Cables

I just checked the Service Manual. It looks like you can easily disassemble the handlebar throttle case and remove the cable ends. Then, just pull them down, around and back up to handlebar.

No way! :surprise:It can't be that easy.

·
Registered
10,537 Posts
Welcome, Strubes.

Unless you worked it into the purchase price, you pay for the 600 mile service. You dont have to do it to keep the warranty going.

As far as cost, theres no fixed price. A shop can charge whatever they want for the service. Its not much more than an oil and filter change.

By all means, do the service. If you can do it yourself, then go for it. If you dont do your own service work, the 600mile service has a lot of "check" items. We will hope the shop really does them. You can illegally download a service manual, or buy one. Those will show exactly how to take care of the items on the list.

If you break another clutch cable, be sure and order one for the 2017 and newer bikes. The stock cable usually snaps right where it leaves the perch. The new cable has bent metal in its housing and I THINK it will hold up better, long term. Bar risers typically tear the hell out of a clutch cable as they aggravate the bend, just as it leaves the perch.

Also, if you have worn out the cable, consider replacing the part in the clutch called, "rod". Part number 46102-0083. It's about 40.00. Not difficult to change if you have clutch experience.

With the older clutch, that rod takes a beating. It's not unheard of to have its little end snap off. No one will have it in stock, so it will avoid down time and a tow truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I concur w/everything he just said. The Murph risers added a significant amount of comfort for my aging, beat up shoulders. Ditto for the V-Stream.
Lee
This was very helpful guys. Just put the same windshield on mine and Murph shipped me the risers today! Looking forward to the new setup. Thanks!

41 - 44 of 44 Posts