Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

Riding year round around here can be a little tough.

My job involves lots of short trips on the bike, lots of getting on and off it.

I've tried thick winter gloves, which I quickly discarded as they dampen any feel from the front wheel which I find quite unnerving riding on wet and greasy roads.

I tried heated gloves without much more success. The Keis ones I had generated barely enough heat to offset their relative thinness, but they were better from a feel perspective. The batteries were a pain, and wiring them to the bike isn't convenient in my situation.

As such, I wondered if anyone here had ever fitted bar muffs to their Ninja.

I can be of a pragmatic inclination when I want to, and I don't look cool anyway so they could be an option despite their ugliness.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
I haven't tried the bar muffs but I, like you, haven't found any thick winter gloves or heated gloves I liked and do ride most of the winter here. My solution was heated grips and hand guards. I didn't get the hand guards for the winter but I did notice that they really helped with keeping the wind and rain off the hands and kept them a lot warmer. They aren't an all day, in the rain/cold solution but for commuting they work great for me with my thin leather gloves. I've also found that silk glove liners add an amazing amount of warmth to my gloves without much loss of feel.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Hood Vehicle

Reactions: Euler's Identity

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use muffs in the winter, along with heated grips. They make a huge difference. Heated grips help a lot, but they won't keep your thumbs properly warm. The muffs keep your fingers toasty, and play a big part in making it possible to ride in comfort in freezing weather.

They do make things a little clumsy when pushing the bike around, and you need to get used to the way they feel when riding. But they're the best answer, in my opinion, for cold weather riding.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you both for your extremely helpful advices.

@kenors What make are your handguards from ? That blue was a great color for the Ninja, by the way.

@Sthomag What model of muffs did you get ? I'm looking for a pair that would feature at least a partial clear window onto the controls.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
The hand guards are Barkbuster Storm S7s. Not sure if you can get them where you are but here's their website.

Reactions: Euler's Identity

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
170 Posts
Yep, to combat hands being cold I added keis heated gloves, koso heated grips and barkbusters. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks to you both for your extremely helpful advices.

@kenors What make are your handguards from ? That blue was a great color for the Ninja, by the way.

@Sthomag What model of muffs did you get ? I'm looking for a pair that would feature at least a partial clear window onto the controls.
I don’t remember the brand anymore, sorry. As for the transparency, I‘ve never seen any with that feature. Frankly, I don’t think they would work very well. You just need to get used to where everything is by feel anyway, whether you’re using muffs or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts