Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have bar end mirrors? If so, what do you have? What kind of mounts and install does it require?

Also any info about mirror block off kits would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Day Tripping sold a set recently that are absolutely fantastic (I bought them). I will link them at the bottom for your reference. They get the mirrors out beyond my arms so I can actually SEE behind me. Took a moment to get used to, but I don't think I can go back to the stock antennae mirrors.

I'm not sure the info on the mirror block off plates. I think I have heard that they are Suzuki GSXR parts?

CRG Hindsight Lanesplitter Bar End Mirror - RevZilla

RhinoMoto Bar End Mirror Mount for Z1000 03-14 - SoloMotoParts.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
The CRG mirrors look great. I have trouble seeing well with the stock mirrors. these seem like an improvement. Do you get rid of the stock mirrors after you install these?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I did.

I rode with the stock mirrors for two commutes (re: one day) and found that I kept using all four mirrors. Well, that looked goofy.

So I removed the stockers and have no desire to add them back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Day Tripping sold a set recently that are absolutely fantastic (I bought them). I will link them at the bottom for your reference. They get the mirrors out beyond my arms so I can actually SEE behind me. Took a moment to get used to, but I don't think I can go back to the stock antennae mirrors.

I'm not sure the info on the mirror block off plates. I think I have heard that they are Suzuki GSXR parts?

RhinoMoto Bar End Mirror Mount for Z1000 03-14 - SoloMotoParts.com
If you order the bar end mirror mounts directly from Rhinomoto they are 59.99 instead of 69.99. They also have the CRG hindsights on there for 65 instead of 72, and since you are getting the mirror mounts directly, you can pick your style!

Bar End Sliders

(click the purchase online link)

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you order the bar end mirror mounts directly from Rhinomoto they are 59.99 instead of 69.99. They also have the CRG hindsights on there for 65 instead of 72, and since you are getting the mirror mounts directly, you can pick your style!

Bar End Sliders

(click the purchase online link)
Awesome! Anyway other's can be saved I'm all for. I just used the links I provided for they were the ones I had. I lucked out and picked them up from DT on this forum previously, used.

As for the block off plates, I'm not sure which ones they were. They were also provided, so...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of your replies and links.

I have heard it is very difficult to remove the stock bar ends due to the red lock tite and Tarzan strength that seems to be common on all of the factory bolts. I've been thinking of putting on new grips at the same time as the mirrors and mounts, but not sure which ones to go with.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Each to there own, but the thought of making the handlebars even wider is not something I would want. I'd be stuck in traffic the whole time. The standard mirrors aren't great (aren't bad either!), but they can be pulled in and make lane splitting very easy.

Reactions: Robsalvv

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bar end mirrors add width?

Just wondering for anyone who has used CRG or any other quality bar end if they add width to the bike? I usually keep mine inside and I already have to fold the stock mirrors in to get it through the door way so I dont want any more width. I know most do have the ability to fold in however I dont want it to look goofy with really wide handle bars and mirrors sticking out. Trying to find something that will be sleek and get rid of the ugly antenna stock mirrors. Always appreciate suggestions and links to sites if ya got em!

·
Registered
681 Posts

I have heard it is very difficult to remove the stock bar ends due to the red lock tite and Tarzan strength that seems to be common on all of the factory bolts. I've been thinking of putting on new grips at the same time as the mirrors and mounts, but not sure which ones to go with.
Its not difficult to remove the bar ends. I got rid of the stock grips and have Spider Peak grips. They are nice, better than the hard stock grips. Nicer to look at too. These are not slip-on grips, you have to remove the stock grips to put them on. Not a major difference in comfort and appearance but nice nevertheless.

Reactions: Batman2015

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the D-Axis bar end mirror by Driven on my N1K... It's not as good as a convex CRG mirror, but I didn't want a round mirror on an angular bike... vanity - it gets the best of me! I bought some billet block-offs for a Gixxer. The holes line up, but you have to add your own hardware because the Suzuki's have a threaded mount and we don't.

·
Registered
71 Posts
With the bar end mirrors can you look into them without taking your eyes off the road in front of you? It seems like your line of site would drop considerably in comparison to the stock fairing mounted mirrors? They do look way better.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Looks good,,,I wanted to do this however I was concerned about them not being in the sight line,,. The stockers are a step up from the 650R which are next to useless at 60 miles an hour on the freeway,,.
Cool windshield Black Sheep,,,,what is it? Looks like a Puig with painted parts,,,,,,,,,,,,, work well on the black bike?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Ment to say I was concerned that the bar ends were "out" of the sight line,,you need to take your eyes of the road,, IE,,,, the traffic stopping quickly in front of you?
Having never tried bar ends this is question and not a criticism?

I was thinking one on the left for merging and leave the stockers in tact,,.

·
Registered
709 Posts

Yes! I messed up the bar end screw taking it out the first time. The trick is to use mostly heat, not so much the impact driver. I decided to take out the ragged screw I made such a mess out of and put in a new one. The second time I went through this I was dealing with blue loctite instead of red, but i think the procedure would work well for red.

Get a pistol grip soldering iron, these are the more powerful ones without a flame.
Attach the "hot knife" end to the soldering iron and push that into the philips slot of the screw.
Use the soldering iron's higher setting and hold it there for a good 10-20 minutes. The bar end weight will start to feel warm before the screw transfers enough heat to the loctite.
At various intervals between 12 and 20 minutes use a P3 screw driver and carefully attempt to turn the screw. I say carefully because it's hard to prevent it from slipping seeing that the handlebars are not fixed. That's how I messed up mine.
Eventually it turns and you can remove it.
Clean the red loctite off the screw threads with acetone
Use blue loctite when re-installing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
With the bar end mirrors can you look into them without taking your eyes off the road in front of you? It seems like your line of site would drop considerably in comparison to the stock fairing mounted mirrors? They do look way better.
Looks good,,,I wanted to do this however I was concerned about them not being in the sight line,,. The stockers are a step up from the 650R which are next to useless at 60 miles an hour on the freeway,,.
Cool windshield Black Sheep,,,,what is it? Looks like a Puig with painted parts,,,,,,,,,,,,, work well on the black bike?
Yes, you will have to "look down" to see behind you with a bar end mirror. It hasn't been an issue for me... I don't stare at it, I just glimpse quickly.

And yes, my windscreen is the Puig model. I just taped it off and sprayed Plasti-dip on the backside. I can peel it off and go back to original in minutes!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I found the easiest way to get the bar ends off is to use a #3 screwdriver with a squared off handle and then use a large adjustable wrench for leverage. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I would kind of like bar ends also. But I have HVMP bar ends. I'm assuming that's a no-go unless anyone has an idea how do it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
http://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/sale/9489-bunch-parts-sale.html#post106097

I bought these here, from DT.

Mirror:
Bar Ends:
http://www.solomotoparts.com/RhinoMoto-Bar-End-Slider-for-M8-Bolt-Ninja-Mirror-Mount-for-Z1000-ZX6R-RR-07/?source=PJX&publisherId=43737&clickId=1822773239&utm_source=Pepperjam&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=Pepperjam-Affil

I love them. I simply couldn't have a bike without them at this point. I ended up mounting up both sides for the sake of visibility. Yes I have to glance down - but no more than I would to check my speedo/dash/etc. Best of all? I don't have my shoulders blocking 2/3 of my view anymore like I did with the stock mirrors.

Yes, I could have gone with the extenders, but even still I am broad shouldered.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts