Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back to riding after about 30 years because of some health issues. Decided to get the 2020 Ninja 1000sx se model and I am impressed. In the old days I did all the basics to my 81 GS750EX Suzy myself, but now bikes have changed and some I will do and some the pro mechanic at the dealer will have to do.
Joining this forum will give me a better idea of a great many things.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yes Welcome. We will expect a ride report as you're one of the first 2020 owners. And believe it or not, I've been through Nanoose Bay on the way to Tofino. Day trip from here in Washington if you time your ferry rides right.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just got back to riding after about 30 years because of some health issues. Decided to get the 2020 Ninja 1000sx se model and I am impressed. In the old days I did all the basics to my 81 GS750EX Suzy myself, but now bikes have changed and some I will do and some the pro mechanic at the dealer will have to do.
Joining this forum will give me a better idea of a great many things.

I am back after 37 years, good for you!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Welcome back to the world of motorcycling. Funny thing, the other day I celebrated 30 years of consecutive riding almost every day as primary transportation. I first got my learner's permit at 15 1/2 years old.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I took nearly 30 years off after getting hit from behind while slowing for a stop sign. I've been back on bikes for over 10 years. It takes a bit to get back comfortable again.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Welcome from TX. Great that you are not from TX too. Cuts down on the conspiracy theories that we are buying up all the N1k's. :wink:

I took a 15yr hiatus for family and career. Wasn't pushed into it, just did not want the distraction. Never paid any attention to motorcycle relates stuff at all during that time but always knew I'd get back. Then 10yrs ago, the bug bit and I went nuts. To say I made up for lost times would be a gross understatement.

Good luck on your restarted journey. Have fun and stay safe.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

There sure are some old fuckers on this forum ;)
Hey, I resemble that remark! But you aren't that far behind...:smile_big:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was out from motorcycles too. Was watching a motorcycle insurance tv ad from geico in the middle of winter with snow on the ground and casually said to the wife "i'm thinking of maybe getting a bike again". To which she says sure, go ahead. i say really? she says yeah. So....10 days later i asked her to come look see in the garage (they delivered). Great when a plan comes together hehe!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Each time I hear about a biker who is old and riding, I just keeping wishing that I can continue to do the same as time goes on. Candle bearers for me. Welcome and wishing you many more miles of safe and happy riding.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Welcome, I am another old fucker, was off from riding for about 40 years then started getting that feeling again, I passed the first year I was contemplating then the next year I still had the feelings and my wife sealed the deal for me one day when we was looking at bikes she said go for it. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
Welcome back to the world of motorcycling. Funny thing, the other day I celebrated 30 years of consecutive riding almost every day as primary transportation. I first got my learner's permit at 15 1/2 years old.
You have been missing for a while. I'm glad you are ok...or at least ok enough to post.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When you guys come back from 30.40 year hiatus, do you take a riders class? Do you do anything to brush up on those lost skills? Can you make a U-turn within a parking space? Or is it just twist and roll across a few states and back?

I'm honestly curious. Because I had a high side and totaled my VFR and was away for 8 years. I started back on a bigger more powerful machine and was paranoid. I took her to a parking lot and practiced turning my head. I still wasn't trail braking. I've since taking an advanced rider class, and a intro to dirt riding. I didn't grow up on motobikes like some of you, so I feel I still need to play catch up with my skillset.

Cheers.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
i bought my bike right at closing, cold getting dark and had a 35 mile ride to get home, I had a few moments since being off a bike so long but I made it home in one piece and never looked back. Taking the riding course is always the best scenereo. Honestly after a couple of days it felt like I had always been on a bike,

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
123 Posts
I didn't have as long as hiatus as mine was just about 20 years. I was shaky for a bit and someone recommended that I take the rider class. So happy that I did because even though I was fully licensed, I learned new things and got rid of bad habits. I've been riding now for about another 20 years and always practicing.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I take the ERC with every new different bike I get just to get familiar/comfortable with it. I took it for the 2011 Ninja but not the '14 or '18.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Guess I get lumped into the old category, even while kicking and screaming about it. lol My sojourn: Honda 450 around 1981to the beautiful still 1982 CB 750. Sold it and from then, did a many tens of thousands of miles road cycling on a racing bike, and which I continue to do for as long as possible. Three years ago, finally fulfilled the desire to get back into motorycling by getting a Honda CB500. Had it stored for the winter where I got it until a massive fire at the place destroyed it, and scores of others. I'd intended on moving to a CB 650 anyway, but, that company did absolutely nothing to entice me back, so it was off to another dealer who sold Kawasakis. Within days, was the gorgeous Ninja 650, but within a year, wanted/needed more power, especially, I felt for the freeways. Within days, traded the 650 in and got the last green model available in Ontario in 2019. Couldn't be happier, and have noticed many guys on the forum took the same path upwards that I did. I've done a few mods myself and enjoyed doing them and the bike definitey looks a lot cooler now. So many times, stopped at a traffic light, someone beside you looks at the bike and compliments it, then you can only say: Yeah, I love it too. lol And I like to say to people thinking about getting a motorcycle that road cycling is a fantastic training mechanism for building in your defensive driving/driving/;riding skills. All the things we need as motoryclists are integral to staying alive on either machine. It's cool to have a machine that gets so few criticisms and a great reason to own our beloved machine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts