Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two beefs this time, and in my view serious enough to warrant representation to higher authorities.
First is further to a previous thread about cancelling switches for turning indicators. It should be mandatory for all road vehicles fitted with turning indicators to have cancelling switches . Nearly every day I see indicators on bikes not switched off and some close shaves have occurred.
Secondly, all painted lines should be as skid proof as the normal road material by the addition of material that stops slipping.
Yesterday I was embarrassed when I failed to switch off the turning indicator, the other driver was quite magnanimous thankfully .
Today on a sweep at a 100kph I unintentionally moved over onto a white line with nearly a serious slide occurring ,on occasions one has to brake unexpectedly and a white painted area can cause a problem

·
Registered
367 Posts
Not having a turn indicator auto switch, makes you focus more on the indicators.
I don't see why this is a problem. I only forget my turn signals (for 30 seconds) one out of a 100 times.

About the white lines I agree.
I live in a 3 borders area. Luxembourgh, Germany & Belgium.
It is just ridiculous how much our lines slip vs Germany & Luxembourg (and how badly they reflect at night).
I've had a few occasions of slipping front & rear on white lines. It also depends on tires.
The PR3 was worst in it (still can't understand why as it performed super in rain).
Always cut the throttle & brakes when going over them, simple rule.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have two beefs this time, and in my view serious enough to warrant representation to higher authorities.
First is further to a previous thread about cancelling switches for turning indicators. It should be mandatory for all road vehicles fitted with turning indicators to have cancelling switches . Nearly every day I see indicators on bikes not switched off and some close shaves have occurred.
Secondly, all painted lines should be as skid proof as the normal road material by the addition of material that stops slipping.
Yesterday I was embarrassed when I failed to switch off the turning indicator, the other driver was quite magnanimous thankfully .
Today on a sweep at a 100kph I unintentionally moved over onto a white line with nearly a serious slide occurring ,on occasions one has to brake unexpectedly and a white painted area can cause a problem
Great points! Just curious... do any bikes have canceling indicators? If so I have never ridden one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hardleys have had self cancelling turn signals since the 90's.
My beemer also has them. I'm sure some other 'high end' bikes also have them...

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
MARK, my 79 xs 11 yamaha had self cancelling indicators. My 2012 Ninja, no.

The Yamaha system would, on occasion, shut off too early. I suspect lawsuits were filed, and a good 90% solution went away because it was not 100% accurate.

It was not perfect, but it was very good.

·
Registered
367 Posts
MARK, my 79 xs 11 yamaha had self cancelling indicators. My 2012 Ninja, no.

The Yamaha system would, on occasion, shut off too early. I suspect lawsuits were filed, and a good 90% solution went away because it was not 100% accurate.

It was not perfect, but it was very good.
With modern IMU's in the bikes, it should be flawless.
As they can take into account lean angle etc ... aka seeing when you have done your turning.
I guess it would only mistake if the main road would turn left, and the exit would go straight.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
127 Posts
kawasakis Vulcan 1700 line has them so they could easily put them on other model lines.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The painted lines are an issue here in California but I have noticed some tires are more sensitive to it than others. My stock Ninja tires were the worst. My PR3s on another bike were still bad. The PR4's better but still worrisome. On my Angel GTs, I still pay attention to them but much more manageable. I really only worry about them now at serious lean angles and hard on the gas with the Angels.

I don't know which is worse, some of those da mn semicircular reflectors that stick up, or the sunken ones that have a pretty big hole.

The absolutely WORST lane dividers, keepers, traffic aids I experienced were in the Dominican Republic. There were about 8" (20cm) high. The were little half domes sticking up. A trunk entered my lane from the right without paying attention and I had to move to the left. I had no choice but to hit one of those bastards at about 90km/h. It INSTANTLY destroyed the cast wheel on the car. I mean catastrophic, big pieces flying everywhere, instant loss of tire pressure type failure. I was in the middle of nowhere, at night and not a flashlight to be found in the car. Thankfully my I could use the light on my cell phone to try and get the car back on the road. No cell signal there so I was glad I could get moving fairly quickly. It wasn't the safest place to be broken down.

I'll never forget the first time I drove in Jamaica. I kept seeing these signs for "sleeping policeman". I kept thinking why would the tell us policeman are sleeping. What the heck? Then I noticed that not far from each of those signs there was a very large speed bump. So they warned about the speed bumps by calling them sleeping policemen. Think of the size of a stomach of a policeman eating a lot of donuts and you'll get the idea. For those of you outside the US, there is a common stereotype that police spend lots of time in the cities at restaurants eating donuts rather than outside on the streets.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Try this one on Don: In Ohio our genius dot decided to "pit" all of the on and off ramps. So basically the surface is like a cheese greater.. all swell if you are in cager.. but on the bike with our tiny surface areas it causes you to dance all over the place. Frikin genius! I would like to kick whoever thought this up square in the nuts!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Gary - I used to live in Ohio. I know exactly what you mean. I fell once when I hit a dog on an on-ramp outside of Columbus. It shredded my racing gloves like they were nothing. Then took my hands and back with it. It ate through my leathers like a wood chipper. All I can say is if I didn't have gear on, I probably would have died. As it was I lost a lot of skin and still almost died from shock.

·
Registered
483 Posts
it is almost like we need a change.org to let those genius's know how sketchy they are making the road surfaces.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I remember when they first came out with the grooved highways. Absolutely NO regard for motorcycles. Some of those early tires tram-lined so badly and followed those **** grooves often enough I thought I was going to die on a daily basis.

I still have some nice scars from the cheese graters on Ohio. At least after a few years they aren't quite as obvious. When you can chew threw leather like a wood chipper eats up trees, then not much you wear is going to protect you.

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
Something is wrong when this conversation could occur.

Roland, I have a free yamaha xs 11. 1979 model. I'll be over at your house, tomorrow morning and well swap the turn signal system over to your 2012 ninja 1000.

And I'd breathe a sign of relief knowing my turn signal issue is handled.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts