Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Arrow Headers & Scorpion SlipOn on 2021 Ninja

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Eni90 
#1 ·

So after a side rear hit from a car at low speed (and the guy leaving the scene and dragging my slip on under his car afterwards :cautious:) I decided that it was a sign to swap the headers and get a new slip on.

Didnt want to go for Akrapovic full system since I think they are a bit overrated, so I ordered the Arrow headers at first and only one week later Arrow tells me that the slip on might be delayed up to 1 months and half o_O.

Screw it then lets go for something else , so the only possible fast delivery was the Scorpion Titanium.

Changes???? I love my ninja! Although the noise isn't as load as I would expect from a liter bike, its still pretty cool. Removing the old pipes with catalytic converter feels as if I have removed 30kgs from it. It feels as nimble as it should be or as if I have 190/55 rear tire.
The cream de la cream though? The QS :love: it simply goes now the through the gears totally effortless(no sponge feeling on upshifts anymore) especially on downshifts!

See less See more
#2 ·
I think it looks great. How does it sound? Can you get sound clip also?

#3 ·
Nothing special I'm afraid, but enough to hear it and be HEARD. I think the position of the slip on and its angle are what makes it be heard less from the riders perspective, if I can make a comparison it is similar (not that far though) as the system on the supersport bikes with slipons under the pillions seat (so far from the riders ears).

I'll try to catch some video and post it :)

#4 ·
Its quiet because your slip on has a db killer riveted into it. If a person wants a full exhaust, it's better to select something from the earlier bikes so you can avoid this. The db killer can be removed, but it's not as easy as it was, before the emissions rules become so restrictive.

The db killer makes the system quiet, but it also takes back most of the horsepower gain you have by using a full exhaust system.

#5 ·
Removing the DB Killer is the first thing I did after the first try, pop and bangs are on thing for sure that are effected from the new euro 5 regulations and probably also the near perfect fuel air ratio.

My comparison is to my old Z900, which was also a full system.

Also what I noticed is that if the bike drops on side of the slip on, the pipe connecting the slip on to the rest of the system will always hit/scratch the ground before the crashpads........ such a genius design.......

#6 · (Edited)
How bad was the db killer to remove? Was it buried like rge other ones?

The physical size of the slip on is huge compared to what we had on the older Arrow or Akra systems. Not older, really....the 2019 systems.

Your arrow looks identical to mine, except the link pipe piece, and slip on is way different. If you were replacing everything, and wanted the full sound, a 4-1 system from an earlier bike might have been a better choice. Yours looks great, though.

I think you are right about the "genius design" in that they had to stuff 10lbs of **** in a 5lb box as compared to the older, stock system. They had to follow that new link pipe pattern for the slip on only crowd, and how pissed would those people be if the new slip on they bought needed to be replaced, again, if they replaced the header. That would have avoided that clearance issue.

My old
er arrow link pipe is shaped more like this. I think yours looks better

#7 ·
How bad was the db killer to remove? Was it buried like rge other ones?

The physical size of the slip on is huge compared to what we had on the older Arrow or Akra systems. Not older, really....the 2019 systems.

Your arrow looks identical to mine, except the link pipe piece, and slip on is way different. If you were replacing everything, and wanted the full sound, a 4-1 system from an earlier bike might have been a better choice. Yours looks great, though.

I think you are right about the "genius design" in that they had to stuff 10lbs of **** in a 5lb box as compared to the older, stock system. They had to follow that new link pipe pattern for the slip on only crowd, and how pissed would those people be if the new slip on they bought needed to be replaced, again, if they replaced the header. That would have avoided that clearance issue.

My old View attachment 31868 er arrow link pipe is shaped more like this. I think yours looks better
Yes the pipes are totally the same cause of the same engine I guess and now that I remembered from your photo I think I also lost some ground clearance cause of those pipes....

I still have some space to raise the angel of the slip on (as I already have if you notice it from the link part to the pillion :cry:) so that if drops the only part that it will hit the ground will be the link pipe.......but I doubt that :cry:

I think Arrow is the only one that does that crappy ring holder for the DB, on Akrap, LeoVince and Scorpion for now they are all with screws in it!

p.s I'm seriously gonna end up crashing now, I cant feel any speed cause of non existing vibrations through the chassis anymore after the removal of the catalytic converter...

#8 ·
Do you remember how bad the bd killer was to get at on the new Akra stuff? Just the newest stuff. The one I was thinking of was the slip on in the Kawasaki catalogue. . It makes me think some sort of rule or regulation happened?

#9 ·
As far as I've noticed on the Akras on the other new bikes around (meaning 2019 and up) all of them just have a small screw on the side (a tad harder to gain access as the swing arm might somehow come in the way sometimes) and thats all!
Or did I get it wrong?

#12 ·
So heres a video from the sound of the full system with no DB on and also a photo of the new M9RR in 190/55 size.

One of my favourite sport sayings is the one from Nicky Lauda: God gave me an ok mind, but a really sensitive ***, that said the change from 50 to 55 is noticeable, not exactly in the good side of the spectrum, but theres no good without evil.

You can notice the rear being a tad higher, making the bike lean easier and even tempting to stay leaned or even try to tip in / lean a bit more than required. It makes the bike even funnier in traffic through town xD great stability through high speed turns and being M9RRs (already had them before on my old bike) means grip from cold to hot and from to clean to dirty roads.

Still need to figure out the optimal pressure though as I was riding 2.7 bar in the 50 size.

Downside......that added weight of tire is noticeable in acceleration and deacceleration (engine brake) u kinda need to use the brakes a bit more.......

Overall It kind of spoils the bike a bit and makes it a tad more sporty than touring. As per the TC issues mentioned elsewhere, no such thing at all.

20210814_095734_1.mp4 Ninja 1000 SX Sound

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.