Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased an Arrow Indy Race exhaust can for my 2020 Ninja 1000SX. Have not removed cat or expansion box, so the Arrow did not make much sound improvement with dB killer installed. Attempting to remove dB killer proved much more difficult than it should have been and I pretty much ruined the piece trying to get it unjammed from the exhaust. Contacted Arrow directly (Italy) and their U.S distributor about defective construction or improper dB killer tolerance since I couldn't budge it by conventional external means, including penetrating oil, multiple pliers, vice grips, etc. Finally got it removed at a shop that used the equivalent of a body shop dent puller that hooked onto the back side of the dB killer. After multiple pulls with the heavy sliding weight, it finally worked its way out. Turns out that the dB killer in my canister does not even look like what Arrow specifies in their ads, so I'm not sure what was going on with my particular unit's manufacturing as it was one of the very first units made for the 2020 Ninja 1000SX. Arrow completely blew me off and said they purposely install them this tight to prevent them from rattling inside the canister (?). Total BS and they completely lost credibility with me for their poor quality control and lousy customer support. At least it now sounds somewhat deeper and louder than stock and it definitely looks better than the oversized bazooka muffler that comes on this bike.

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
The db killers have to fit tight. When the metal expands, it will shoot out if it's not a very snug fit, and the setscrew being in place. They are/were mostly an afterthought a few years back.

If you are buying a slip on for the 2020 bike, notice that arrow and everyone else shows them as emissions compliant. That's tells you the db killer is going to be insane.

The stiff we bough, years ago was all easy to work with. The db killer was barely in there and super easy to remove. With that said, they all said "offroad only". We all broke federal law when we put them on.

It also relates to this. No one wants to pay california a huge fine so we can easily remove db killers and tamper with emissions devices.

Not much choice unless you replace the entire exhaust with a "race" exhaust. Arow and Akra both have those.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The dB killer is also held in-place by a large and very stiff retainer ring with a welded tab backing it up. It wasn't going anywhere even if it was loose.

I just hope that (as of Jan 2021) the whole country doesn't end up like CA.

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
It sucks. They were serious about trying to make it tamper proof.

I guess its ebay and chinese if you want something you can easily modify?. It's nice not to ruin the db killer. It's a nice option to have on a long rode, but it doesnt sound like that's possible, anymore.

The italian systems like Arrow or Leo Vince were supplied with instructions that pretty much asked you to remove the db killer as they didnt want it installed...that was 2012. Leo vince even supplied a insert you used when the db killer was removed. It was the first thing you ran into when you opened the box.

Notice the insert mine has. It's basically a piece of tubing to keep the exhaust heat from melting the housing once the db killer was removed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the update.
I have a 2020 now and although I like the sound, I have to look away when I catch sight of the OEM RPG Muffler.
I'm on the hunt for a mo betta looking unit - Good to know about Arrow! Thanks! They were top of my list.
At least you got the right look and sound now (no small feat)!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some people go with aftermarket slip-ons for the looks, weight savings, added hp, and different sound. Look at the specs on these Akra slip-ons:

Notice the "noise level" is identical to stock (94 decibels) and that the weight savings is over 9 lbs. They also look a lot better than the OEM slip-ons and add a couple horses. I've never heard them in person but people say they sound a bit more race-like. Notice they're both EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and CARB (California Air Resources Board) compliant.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Noise Level sounds good!
Weight savings looks to be for the previous year bikes 17-19, they still show dual cans for the 2020, marketing dept is slacking.
Either way, I do like the looks of a Akrapovic.
Leovince and Yoshimura are looking good too.

One thing, I not sure if I'm going like -
There seems to be more concealment of the cat with the stock muffler, when removed and replaced with a slip on, the cat is more visible. May just be photo angles, but I hate to see more of that Kitty.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why not reach out to Akrapovic and ask them when they plan on putting out a EPA and CARB compliant slip-on for your bike? You can contact using the link below. I reached out to them once and they got back to me within 24 hours.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Some people go with aftermarket slip-ons for the looks, weight savings, added hp, and different sound. Look at the specs on these Akra slip-ons:

Notice the "noise level" is identical to stock (94 decibels) and that the weight savings is over 9 lbs. They also look a lot better than the OEM slip-ons and add a couple horses. I've never heard them in person but people say they sound a bit more race-like. Notice they're both EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and CARB (California Air Resources Board) compliant.
The guy I ride with all the time has an Akra on his 20. It looks great, saves weight, but I’ve ridden his back to back with my bike with the stock exhaust. I could not tell any difference in sound. It’s the only reason I have not bought an exhaust for mine....yet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts