1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I only rode one bike that had it. It was an 80's era Honda. It did work. The forks did not dive. They also would not absorb bumps as the forks were basically locked up once the calipers touched the disc. The bike would not turn if you had the front brake on as the forks didnt dive anything like a normal fork would.

In the years to come, I imagine we will have electronic assist steering. Geometry so steep it needs a computers help to the bike be stable. If you had that, maybe this would be needed? I'm not sure what it accomplishes, unless some other thing makes it so you have to use this . Back then it was a solution to a non problem.

Wait.....how about this linked into abs or traction control?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
My K1300S with the duolever front end was the only bike I ever had with minimal brake dive.

I bet Aprilia might pull off anti dive tech. They were on the cutting edge with allot of other electronics.

I want a Tuono again :sad:

·
Registered
458 Posts
The brief anti-dive era, which that article eluded to, ended because the mfrs found that brake dive isn't always a bad thing. It can quicken steering on corner entry and the weight transfer aides maximum braking effort. The key though is that it isn't always a bad thing. That means there are times when it is. I think that is precisely why Ape is revisiting anti-dive now. Technology has caught up to a point where the various electronic aides already in a lot of high end bikes can be incorporated into the calculation on exactly when to deploy anti-dive and how much to meter in, much like the more sophisticated traction control systems, of which Aprilia has been at the forefront of development.

It's a great time to be a motorcyclist. I sure hope I can stay in this game and ride the crest of the wave for as long as I can.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My K1300S with the duolever front end was the only bike I ever had with minimal brake dive.

I bet Aprilia might pull off anti dive tech. They were on the cutting edge with allot of other electronics.

I want a Tuono again :sad:
There are times I really enjoy the composure of the K1600GT front end. Then, there are times I really wish it had the communicative feedback of a good set of telescopic forks... like those Ohlins NIX30's on the '08 RSV1000R Factory I had. IMO this revisit of anti-dive is inevitable, and Ape, of all mfrs, has proven to have the cajones to pull off new tech dev.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
It took me a while, but this is why it looks familiar. Its an improved (?) copy of the The Preston Petty No-Dive. Roger DeCoster tried it as did Brock Glover, back in the 80's. You could buy the kit, but I never knew anyone who did.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sure does look similar.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I wonder how steep you could go, with steering geometry, if you knew the forks would not dive when you hit the brakes? It has to be for some reason like that.

The bullshit part is that it's built around traditional forks. If you looked at all the different style of "front forks" that are available, what we have is really not a good design. Almost anything else would work better, but theres no way we would ever accept the look. BMW tried, but they were still butt-fucked by having to make a system that looked like a normal fork.

This system that Yamaha licenses SHOULD have been a major improvement. It went to **** when someone from the design department did not like the look of the properly designed prototype. They started fucking with the arm length, and the shock angle, things like that, and they ruined it..

So, this aprilia thing might be awesome, but its built around a flawed concept.

This article is good....

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/why-are-there-no-alternatives-to-the-telescopic-fork-front-suspension

Attachments

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
If you had no brake dive and 18 degree rake wouldn't it be too easy to do major stoppies during hard stops?

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I dont know? Cant we twist this thing around and ask when fork dive would be a problem? On any bike I've ever been on, fork dive has not been a problem. You might add or subtract fork oil to change how much, but it's never been a problem.

Steeper geometry would be my only thought as to a way where a diving fork would suck.

On dirtbike, you are turning and have some front brake applied. If you do this correctly, with the rear end broken loose, the bike will change directions instantly, and it's fun. If you are in soft sand, it's really easy to have the front end lose grip, re-grip, and toss you over the bars. This would eliminate that.

Two wheel drive bike? Seriously, Aprilia rsv4 is still a top bike, and its 10 years old. Technology has pretty much stopped other than electronics. The Industy needs to do something.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
The guy who builds them is named Rick Peterson. I believe he was either rich, or made a lot of money from replating cylinders. I believe he sold the company. He may have come up with THE process to do this.....he is a real character, salesman type, so it was hard to ever know what was truth, or fiction.

His first conversions were on the Honda crf frame. At some point, the chinese companies bought the old design from Honda and he started converting the chinese 2009 type crf 450's. That keeps the price low. It looks like he has kits for the big KTM....that sounds fun...still, you can get a 450, two wheel drive bike for 9 grand. That's probably close to what mark paid for his 450 dirtbike, maybe less, although Mark's bike is from a real country. People loved the bikes....probably.

His web site is here. https://www.christini.com/bikes/christini-awd-framekit

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Rock, I think we are seeing only part of the story. At some point Aprilia will drop the second part and it going to make sense. Right now, I just cant see it. I doubt they want to give it away in their drawings?

Did you notice on the other style of forks...damn near any other type, they dont need such a giant steering head. With normal forks, the steering head has to be strong , and" heavy" . Even on the Ducati v4. It really doesnt have much of a frame. I think the "frame" weighs less than 10lbs....but, much of that is in the steering head. Maybe this would let them save weight up there?

Aprilias superbike is 30-40lbs heavier than the rest. Saving weight makes sense. Also, look at the new cbr 1000rrrrr Honda. They keep adding r's to its name. That bike is the new top bike. It has everything . Pretty much the best ideas and designs available, mixed into one bike.

Other than electronics, it has nothing that could not have been built in 2005. That has to change.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
something beyond electronics? an actual new front end construction? Well, Aprilia is owned by Piaggio and Piaggio has that weird front end on their mp3 scooters so who knows. Anything's possible.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I think its a good time to try something like a new front end. The retro rider thing is popular, for now. It wont be long until those people want something with performance. They probably want something that looks different than their dad owned. Look at that Yamaha fz09 with the strange front end. I'm not sure who is supposed to buy that?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Perhaps the only reason Aprilia is going this way rather than electronic / electro-mechanical ?

"MotoGP rules: Suspension and Dampers

'Electric/electronic controlled suspension, ride height and steering damper systems are not allowed. Adjustments to the suspension and steering damper systems may only be made by manual human inputs and mechanical/hydraulic adjusters.'

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Given this passage from the article the rules are pretty much what's dictating the design:

"The drawings appear to show the design fitted to forks and brakes from either Aprilia’s MotoGP bike or its SBK machine, suggesting that racing is firmly in its sights."

My guess is if you see this adapted to street bikes electronic adjustments might be added. This is still an approach to brake dive via the brakes (albeit along with that linkage component) as apposed to an innovative new front end suspension. But I guess it's a start.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I could see that. Their Motogp bike is not competitive with the top teams. Its not a surprise as they have not been doing it nearly as long as the Japanese. Its not even a slam against them.

When the big teams are that far ahead, you do need to find innovation.
How can you catch Honda if you do the same things they do sort of thing...That makes perfect sense.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts