Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have mentioned this before, I am on the Q3's and have tried the /55 and /50. I am currently on the /50 series and the difference from the /55 in negligible. I had chicken strips on the /55 and almost nothing on the /50. I think tire profile was the problem with the oem /50 s20s.
That is one thing I really like about the Michelin PR4, 55 rear. I'm not sure I want a tire profile that has no "chicken strip." I corner hard when the opportunity presents on curvy roads, often leaving riding buddies behind. I push the bike at about 80-85%, but always I'm confident that the bike has more left. I like that I still haven't run out of tire.

This is reinforced to me by a sad experience last summer. After several years of using Michelin PRx-series tires on his 2011 N1K, a friend of mine switched to Pirelli Angel GTs. It was a new tire and had good buzz about it. Comparing tires when stopped at a convenience store one day, we noted that his chicken strip was a lot narrower than mine, yet we were riding the same roads. The first day on a trip from St. George, UT to the Flaming Gorge area in late summer (extreme southern Utah to extreme northern Utah), we tired of the severely straight roads and took a detour near Price, UT to find some good mountain roads -- running up Huntington Canyon (SR 31), then down SR 264 past Scofield Reservoir. SR 264 was very tight and technical. And my buddy, with more experience than me, went down (low sided) on a tight, decreasing radius curve. Of course, the bike got busted up bad and he was in the hospital for almost 2 months, requiring titanium strips to be attached to several broken ribs on his left side. "We can rebuild him; we have the technology." It was that severe of a drop, even with full armored gear. He may never ride again.

Similar bikes, similar riding skills, but different tires. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The Angel GT has a fairly "flat" shape, so at high lean angles, it will have less of a contact patch than a more oval shaped tire for sure. A little chicken strip on the road isn't a bad thing; they should call it a safety strip instead so it doesn't sound so negative LOL Leave the high lean angles for the track.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Over the weekend I will find a "BIKE" magazine, from back in 2011 or 2012..cant remember which.

They had a comprehensive upgrade of their long term Ninja 1000 (z1000sx). We will see what tire size they liked, back then, as well as what rear shock they used, and its length.

It will be fun to see how consistent they are with their recommendations.
I recall reading somewhere that the N1K was supplied (new) with the 55 section tire already on it, in certain model years. I don't recall the year or years, but it was pre-2016.

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
I and the article from Bike magazine. I have @ 6 pages from early 2012 as well as the final report on their project bike. Im not really sure how or where to post it. The size is apparently too large to post here...

In the 6 page article, the 2011 z1000sx is his project bike. As far as mods go, he did a lot.

190/55-17 rear tire, longer rear shock as well as dropping his forks in the triple clamps. He mentioned dropping the forks may have been too much, but for sure recommended a longer shock and a 190/55-17 rear tire.

The magazine is so out of touch, it write the article without even going back to see what their earlier work said.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used the M pilots and have the Roadtecs on now. There is no comparison. I commute and ride long miles on the weekends. I'm fairly aggressive and my GSA is no feather. The Metzler has been better in all weather conditions and looks like its going to give me at least 3k more than the Michelin.
It will be the first thing I do for my new N1K.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts