Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
On mine, I used the optional Apex bar ends, but filled the hollow bars with BBs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Some pics I uploaded when I first created this thread got lost in a server change(?), so here are some pics taken as I was first trying to work out the angles:

I had to shave the corner of the clip-ons to be able to rotate the clip-ons more forward. Also visible is the spacer aluminum sheet, which was only necessary because mine were 51mm (bought for an RSV1000R I had earlier). N1k's fork tubes are 50mm.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Stock handlebars:

My final set up with Apex 3":

·
Registered
82 Posts
So how do they feel so far? I have mine adjusted close in, so I don't have the leverage as before but feel more connected like a sportbike.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
So how do they feel so far? I have mine adjusted close in, so I don't have the leverage as before but feel more connected like a sportbike.
The pic above where I shaved off the corner of the clip-on clamp was precisely to help spread the the bars as wide was possible. I did as much as I could and ended up only about 1/2" narrower on each side compared to stock bars. Turn in effort feels good, as long as your elbows are bent, and you're pushing forward (not down) on the bars... as you should on a sportbike.

Like you said, the whole point is to feel more engaged with the motorcycle. When you shift 1/2 cheek and lean forward into a corner, that inside handlebar is at just the correct angle for what-should-be your very bent inside arm. In that body position, the flat stock bar feels rather awkward. That's the same complaint I have with my Street Triple... and naked bikes in general. Plus side though... they feel nice and comfy when you're upright going straight.

That said, my N1k is still plenty comfy for me. It is what I call All Day Tolerable. For long day rides and shorter range sport touring, it's perfect. Anything longer, K1600GT is my All Day Comfortable rig.

·
Premium Member
13,347 Posts
Volfy, I believe you said 3" was about as low as you could go without hitting the tank, didnt you? No way you could have used 2.5, is there?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
RC, It depends on how you set the handlebar drop angles. Mine has just about enough room for my gloved thumb to clear the tank. I could've changed the drop angle to get more clearance, but to me that would make the bar angles more like stock and defeats the purpose of the conversion. The whole point was to get the drop and sweep angles to my liking, so that means 3" is pretty much the limit for me.

Reactions: rcannon409
41 - 48 of 48 Posts