Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a set of Apex 3" Riser Clip-Ons (for 51mm fork tubes) originally planned for an '08 Aprilia RSV1000R I had. Sold the bike before I got around to it and kept the Apex ever since.

Even before I bought the '18 N1k, I had some misgivings about the handlebar positions. It made the bike feel too upright to me and the almost straight across stock handlebars feel like something out of a streetfighter. Just wrong for the character of this bike. All the yrs of sportbike riding has conditioned me to prefer the typical sportbike posture, particularly for spirited riding. These days, my aging torso may not be able to hunch over a race replica for 8hr straight, but I still prefer a "gentleman's sportbike" ergos that is midway between ZX10R and C14. I rode VFR1200F for some 7yrs and and considered it almost ideal for a this sort of bike. If you check it out on Cycle-ergo.com, you'll see exactly what I mean.

Then the more I ride the N1k, I started to suspect the vague front end feel might have, at least in part, to do with the riders ergos. Afterall, I've test ridden several late model ZX6R with the same type Showa BPF SFF forks and their front end felt livelier and more communicative than the N1k. Now I'm sure there are likely differences in valving and geometry between the two bikes. Kawi tweaked them in the latest 2020 N1k, but I felt it was a worthy exercise to give the Apex kit a try.

N1k's 50mm fork tube required a thin sheet of aluminum for the 51mm clip-ons to fit tight, and one of the base corners required some dremel work to get the rear swept angle I wanted, but otherwise, it was a straight forward fit. The Apex handlebar system allows you to vary the angle relative to the clip-on, and it took quite some trial and error to get what I consider the optimum angles for the character of this bike. There isn't a whole lot of wiggle room, as I barely got the bars to clear the fuel tank and the Vstream Sport Touring windscreen in the middle position. I don't see ever needing to ride with the screen in the lower position anyway.

Oh boy, do I like it! If the wail of the inline4 didn't give it away, I could swear I'm back on a VFR1200F that lost 50 lbs. The riding position is more committed, but also more conducive to getting serious in the twisties. I'm again reminded why sportbike ergos set the handlebars the way they are - not to torture middle-aged riders - but because those are the optimum engagement angles for side to side transitions and body positioning. If this were a full-on touring bike, I might not care as much, but I've already got a K1600GT for a comfy tourer. FWIW, even the K16GT has more down and rear swept angles than the stock N1k bars. Go figure.

I measured a drop (at mid grip) of about 1.25" and forward extension (mid grip) of 1". Plugged those numbers in to Cycle-Ergo.com and forward lean increased by about 5 degrees. Feels about that much. Of course the forward lean only tells 1/2 the story. The grip angles also contribute to the feel and engagement with the motorcycle. To me, those are the primary gain. If you just want more down and rear swept angles, the 4" Apex Riser Clip-On kit will probably give you just that, at roughly the same bar height as stock.

And in case you were wondering how these bars work with the ZX10R mirrors, here's what the image looks like from rider's vantage point:

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Volfy, the set of pics you uploaded are perfect for comparing, thank you.

So, if I buy the Apex 3" 51mm, I should be able to do the same right? Did you have any issues with cables? lengths, clearance, path, etc..

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will that program allow rider input like height and wingspan?
Height yes. See here: Cycle Ergo website

Volfy, the set of pics you uploaded are perfect for comparing, thank you.

So, if I buy the Apex 3" 51mm, I should be able to do the same right? Did you have any issues with cables? lengths, clearance, path, etc..
If you are buying a new set for the Ninja 1000 (Z1000SX), get 50mm. That'd be a direct fit without needing shims. That's what I'd do if I didn't already have the 51mm set.

I had no problems with cables. Even though I'm actually dropping the bar height slightly at the grips, because of the down swept angle, I'm actually bending the cables more. I doubt they are any more relaxed than at stock position. Not sure if the cables have enough slack to accommodate the 4" riser clip-ons. My guess is a cautious yes. A lot depends on how you adjust the Apex handlebar angles.

Clearance-wise, I was able to get enough on both side relative to the fuel tank. A bit tight, but no smashing my thumb against the fuel tank at opposite lock. The main problem was with the right side at the windscreen. With the Vstream windscreen at center position, the brake lever just clears the screen with the handlebars at the ignition switch "Lock". However, the handlebar travels a bit more past that before hitting the hard stop, and the brake lever does hit the screen lightly. For parking maneuvers and tight U-turns, which are the only times I would go opposite lock, it was no problem. Left side has plenty of clearance against the screen.

Clearance on the right side with stock screen was a mess. I tried it when I first got the bike home and gave up on it, preferring to wait for the National Cycle Vstream sport touring screen to arrive, hoping it would have better clearance. And it does.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW, in case you don't already know, you'll need to drill locator holes on the new handlebars for the switch pods and throttle wheel housing. I spotted mine almost exactly the same as stock positions, but you can change them to your liking.

As they say: measure twice, drill once. Aluminum drills easily.

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
144 Posts
You could buy a 04-05 ZX10 front brake master cylinder to help with the windshield clearance. The piston is oriented horizontal to the bars instead of perpendicular like out stock mater cylinder.

Reactions: agurudev and Volfy

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could buy a 04-05 ZX10 front brake master cylinder to help with the windshield clearance. The piston is oriented horizontal to the bars instead of perpendicular like out stock mater cylinder.
That's an idea. I think earlier ZX6R master cylinders are like that too.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks guys, I would really like a little more downswept angle on the handlebars. But I am on the stock screen.

Let me wait out the lockdown and then see what I can order from here.

Reactions: Volfy

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
Dont mess with your mastercylinder and switch back to the older style. That's a serious step backwards. Those old master cylinders, the non radial, are a complete pos as compared to what we have. Find a way to deal with what you have, or buy a Brembo rcs, but dont switch to the non radial style.

·
Registered
287 Posts
@Volfy - Looks like the pics you put up are not loading, can you please share them again, if possible? TIA

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Volfy - Looks like the pics you put up are not loading, can you please share them again, if possible? TIA
I just re-posted a couple of pics with the ZX10R mirrors. I will try to dig up some older pics with the stock mirrors and post those too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts