Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to remember reading on this forum that the 2016 has added a slipper clutch but I have not seen this mentioned on the Kawasaki website and the dealers I talked to don't know for sure either.

So does anyone know for sure if a slipper clutch is now standard for the 2016 bike?

Besides the slipper clutch, is there anything else new for 2016 other than the new paint options?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Not that I've read. Other than slipper clutch, the usual BNG (bold new graphics). :)

I can't say that I'd buy a new one to be honest. A lot of low mileage 2014 and later used ones. The main updates came that year. The slipper clutch could be retrofitted if you want as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So Day Trippin where did you see that the 2016 has added a slipper clutch? I have looked all through the NK1 Kawasaki pages and specs and did not see anything. They should be promoting it at least I think so- it does represent an upgrade over the 2014 and 2015 models. I don't think the dealers are informed about it either.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Kawi press release.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Press/Release/2016-Ninja-300-ABS

"2016 KAWASAKI NINJA® 1000 ABS
Riders seeking the ultimate performance coupled with everyday practicality will be
thrilled to throw a leg over the Ninja 1000 ABS sportbike, especially with a new assist
and slipper clutch. It is well equipped with the most advanced tools to help the rider
tackle a variety of situations. Starting with the powerful 1,043cc DFI® engine, its usability
is enhanced with selectable Power Modes and three-mode KTRC Traction Control
system to help moderate the power in slippery conditions, as well as anti-lock brakes.
The new assist and slipper clutch was developed from Kawasaki’s experience on the
racetrack. The clutch uses two types of cams (an assist cam and a slipper cam),
allowing it to provide two new functions, not available on the standard clutch of the
previous model.
When the engine is under load, the assist cam functions to pull the clutch hub and
operating plate together to compress the clutch plates. This allows the total clutch
spring load to be reduced, resulting in a lighter clutch lever pull. Fewer clutch springs
(three replacing five springs on the previous model) translate to a 30% lighter clutch
lever feel.
When backload is applied (i.e. excessive engine braking occurs), perhaps as the
result of quick downshifts (or even an accidental downshift), the slipper cam then comes "

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Day Trippin. Interesting they don't note it on their NK1 spec page for the bike- not sure why. It is nice a addition to have.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I read somewhere the sipper is for the EUR market right now.. Anyone confirm this on the US bikes?

·
Registered
828 Posts
The press release I gave the link to is for Kawi USA. It doesn't cover just the 1000, but other models as well. That is why I left the link so people could easily read it and get the entire scoop. I just quoted part of it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The slipper clutch is a nice addition but I just saw a 2016 metallic spark black and it looks fabulous- by far my favorite paint scheme that I have seen on the NK1. Now I am thinking maybe I should get a new 2016 vs. a used 2014 or 2015.

·
Registered
828 Posts
If you really like the color, then go for it. I preferred to take my cost savings and put them into mods. I would have preferred the green over the blue but after having the blue, I've really grown to like. At this point I don't really care what color it is. Most every color I've seen the bike in, I like it.

Maybe the slipper clutch and the black paint is enough to sway you. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been looking for a gray-black 2014 or 2015 and I have yet to find one used. I do want the electronics package in this generation. I live in the ATL metro and there has not been any on Cycle Trader, Craigs List or Ebay. I did contact a dealer that had a new 2015 Gray Black and they wanted 10600 which included all the fees and destination charges and dealer prep BUT not the taxes. I will want to mod the bike with exhaust, tail tidy, ECU flash, and windscreen so I will have additional costs over the price of the bike.

So I am still looking.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm still just a bit skeptical because I too don't see it mentioned on their USA web site. I even downloaded the 2016 Brochure and in only mentions it for the Ninja 300.

AU is closer to EU than USA is my perception. The first I heard of this they were talking about in the EU.

Plus my dealer told me there were no changes for the 2016 and why would they not know about this rather significant improvement?

Someone prove me wrong. I have a new 2016 California model Ninja 1000 and would like to think it has a slipper clutch but my OCD wants proof. Is there someway to tell from looking at the bike without taking it apart? Or can I test it while riding it and have it be definitive?

i recently got the 2016 Nk1 and yes it has the slipper clutch.

Kawasaki Motors Australia - 2016 Ninja 1000 ABS

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a 2015 black-on-black N1K. Wonderful bike. I have seen the 2016 on the dealer's floor. YES, it has the slipper clutch - verified by the mechanic/owner. The clutch lever has a noticeably lighter pull than my bike. Nice, but I'm still very happy with my '15, which now has just over 20,000 miles of smiles.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, I saw that DT but it just bugs me that this info isn't more widespread. I'll have to wait until Tuesday now but I'll call my dealer and give them crap about not knowing this. :)

Of course, if the sun come out before then (not likely) I'll try a few tests and hope I don't skid off into the woods.

To have a new bike in the garage and have to wait days for the rain to stop is driving me crazy and causing me to post too many times in this forum!

·
Registered
11,271 Posts
OR, the clutch pull is light. To the point where you feel like the clutch is broken or damaged light...

Otherwise, it would mean a trip under the cover..where you would find the slipper.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks RC. Yeah, see, I don't feel the pull is that light. To me if feels about the same as the 2015 in the showroom. If it was real light I would appreciate that. Hmmm. Could it be that I have a 2015 not a 2016? That would be a big deal if true. How would I find that out for sure?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just checked and the VIN number has a 16 in the middle of it so I suppose that is a year code so I guess I'm good there. But now you have me wondering because the pull isn't light enough to feel broken. Hmmmm... I guess it will depend on the road test as I'm not tearing covers off. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts