Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wandering if anybody is using the transition face shield on your helmet and how you like it, im having problems in the mountains with going from full sun to shadow areas where you see the dark area but cant actually see the road untill you have made the transition from the sun to the shadows, they are definately pricey but if they go from clear to dark alright they would be a great investment

·
Registered
709 Posts
Never tried the helmet shields. I know the technology for eyeglasses works slowly going from high-tint (sunlight) to low/no-tint (shadows). I would want to know about this before using one.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have and use the Bell and love it!

I originally bought the helmet because a transitions shield was available. I first got the Dark Silver Iridium. It looks great, is cost effective and is nice and dark... But I'm often in a canopy of trees. If cloud cover also comes in it could get borderline for me. Plus you would never want to be caught after dark with a tinted shield and a Ninja 1000.

I've had the Transitions shield for a couple of months and it had become my go-to. It gets very clear at night. It gets dark enough in bright sunshine that I never notice it. Mine reacts so smooth and quick. Almost never noticed. I was just in a one-lane 150 foot long tunnel in a canopy of trees. Half way through I flipped up the shield and was very impressed by the almost total lack of lack of tint (maybe 5%?).

At first I did notice a quick glimpse of the view being too bright, right after a dark tree line or tunnel. Within a couple seconds my eyes adjust and the shield adjusts and to tell the truth I didn't notice that effect during today's long ride. One way or the other that small effect would never change my opinion, the performance in the dark tree lines, and darker sky's makes it worth it for me. It just always seems right.

I've heard that too much sun over too much time can wear it out, so don't leave it hanging off the bike everyday.

Bell's Transition shield is one of the more expensive on the market, but I would have to say the Vendor/Producer of this one got it right. I'm very impressed and would not want to be without it. I'll be heading off to dinner with the wife soon and Don't have to change out my shield. On the way out the sun will be right in my face, and dark on the way home, still perfect for the task.

As you can tell I'm sold...

·
Registered
711 Posts
I LOVE my transition shield, and am reluctant to change helmets because of it. The helmet I have (Bell Star Carbon) is EXTREMELY noisy.

That said, the transition shield is pure sex. It's pretty much as HoloQuest described it.

I keep my helmet inside unless I am riding though. I have not noticed a "wear out" issue yet, but have been using my transition visor since September.

Reactions: Ishikawa and Mark59

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was the transition shield i was looking at for the bell helmet, ounds like they work

·
Registered
270 Posts
Where they sell it?

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Revzilla and the bell helmet store for bell helmets

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Best i can tell is there is not much of an after market for replacement shields, looks like each manafacture has there own.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yep, love my transition shields, and Bell helmets in general. Had a few over the last couple of years. The transition ISN'T straight away. So going from a very sunny day into a tunnel doesn't work well. The transition from full tint to clear takes time, a few minutes. But as a helmet for all times of day it is flawless.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pete you collecting 1000 cc bikes lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the Bell transitions visor too. I love it. I used to have a tinted shield which was too dark at times. The transitions shield does take a minute or so to shift and other than a tunnel situation, it works tremendously.

Absolutely worth the cost.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Pete you collecting 1000 cc bikes lol
It just kinda happened that way... :confused: I just recently replaced my Z800 for the Z1000, to complete the set :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a transitions shield for my Bell RS1, I haven't ever have a problem with it transitioning fast enough for changing conditions, and it has held up well, still works great after 2 years! It is definitely one of my best riding upgrades and I will probably never buy another helmet without one!

·
Registered
316 Posts
still waiting on mine for my new bell star

·
Registered
44 Posts
Shoei has them now for their newer helmets, like my rf1200, and I love it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Won't wearing transition sunglasses in a clear shield helmet be a cheaper option?
I tried out my sunglasses inside my helmet and saw all sorts of weird colors, maybe because the sunglasses were polarized. The combination of my face sheild, pinlock, and sunglasses just didn't work. I have since taken out the pinlock, so I should try it again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Bell transition shields are about $150. The expensive Oakley Radar line of photochromic sunglasses are about $200. Adidas Evil Eye Evo Pro are about the same. There are other cheaper photochromic sunglasses. Best of all you can wear them while mountain biking or doing other outdoor activities.

You'd look goofy with your Bell helmet while fishing.
B-)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts