Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Anyone knows about 2017 models yet?

In the Kawi site they talk abouit a 2k discount, I don't know if it is because they are vringing the 2017 models soon.
Why green was removed from the 2016?

Dan

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
There's no info on it yet, at least that I could find. It'll likely be the same as the '16, only with different color options. Just par for the course in the motorcycle world. :)

As for the current promotion, it looks like the typical spring time promotion to me. You'll see lots of promotions like this one from all the manufactures throughout spring and summer.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But the issue is there is not a lot of options on 2016, only red AND GREY....

I went to the dealer and they want to push the 2015 instead of telling me what is the special for 2016...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone knows around what month they brought the 16's (or 15's)

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Typically, you start to hear about new, or newish bikes in late may-june. Half of what you hear about will turn out true and real.

This will be an interesting year. The 2017 model year. All the bikes will need to be Euro4 compliant. If you look at the 16 models, the new zx10 had to meet the standard, and kawi upgraded the zx14 to meet. Not the ninja 1000.

If the ninja 1000 stays around, Id expect to hear about it closer to august or September.

With the versys 1000 being sold, I feel like this year was THE year to see what sells in this class. If the versys 100 outsold the ninja, I can see kawasaki sending the ninja 1000 version on its way, and not even offering it for 2017.

·
Registered
709 Posts
With the versys 1000 being sold, I feel like this year was THE year to see what sells in this class. If the versys 100 outsold the ninja, I can see kawasaki sending the ninja 1000 version on its way, and not even offering it for 2017.
Initially this hurt a bit to hear :eek:. But considering how popular the adventure bike market space is right now, I guess it makes sense :mad:.

Respectfully...The reason I predict the N1K will stay around is as follows: Kawasaki knows that someday 90% of the adventure bike riders in the USA (the ones who never get off paved roads) will wake up and realize they're making huge sacrifices to look so rugged. The riding most of them are doing is more suitable on a sport touring machine, or an outright touring bike. The N1K will be there with a well established reputation when they smell the coffee.

I'm biased :D I know. Adventure bikes are like the SUV's of motorcycles. They look hella cool, and rugged, and can drive over a mountain of sh!t while us road bikes are stuck. When the zombie apocalypse actually happens, we'll all regret not having adventure bikes. Until then, sport touring is the sweet spot that I'm looking for.

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Keep in mind, I have no idea...just guessing along with the rest of us.

BUT, I feel like this class took a wrong turn. The ninja was right, in 2012. It combined enough sport to be fun, with enough comfort and touring ability to be very nice. Th z did the same, and added a bunch of style.

The class the ninja is in is turning into supersport with high bars, and adv bikes on the other. Neither of which I wanted when I bought the ninja.

So, we can hope.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I thought this bike was selling pretty well. The Versys, not so much at this point. I had to look around to find a '15 leftover in the winter which I can't say for other bikes. There were leftovers aplenty.

I can tell you this much from being on sport touring forums; there's allot of pissed off riders out there. No way this ADV craze is going to continue at this pace. People want their Sprints and VFRs backs. Also, if the Tiger 1050 makes its ways over here the Versys and the Vstrom will get creamed.

Look at the KTM SD GT coming out, the new R1200RS, the return of the bandit. etc. There's an appetite for STs. I even think the naked category is starting to fizzle a bit.

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Rock, the problem with adv bikes is we've already been there.

If you go back to 1970, there really wasn't a Japanese motorcycle made for offroad. You bought a small "enduro" and it was fully street legal. Ride bike to riding area, enjoy a day of dirt riding, then drive it home. Perfect....right...

Wonderful concept, but it had serious drawbacks. Anything that made a good dirt bike, was opposite of what we needed for street. This includes tires, lights, suspension, frame, brakes, seat, weight...

What we found was a 250lb+ dirt bike sucked, and knobby tires were horrible at 70mph. The lights broke, frames broke, and 25-30 hp was plenty, offroad. With some of the adv bikes approaching 500-600lbs, Id argue they are dangerous, offroad.

So, instead of learning, they tried it again. The economy sucked, and guys could only afford one bike, so lets combine street and dirt...

To prove its a bad idea, all I need is three letters....KLR 650.

If you have framed an idea to where this machine is good, your idea is flawed.

This bike is an old, overweight pos, and nothing more. Obsolete the day it was introduced.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Typically, you start to hear about new, or newish bikes in late may-june. Half of what you hear about will turn out true and real.

This will be an interesting year. The 2017 model year. All the bikes will need to be Euro4 compliant. If you look at the 16 models, the new zx10 had to meet the standard, and kawi upgraded the zx14 to meet. Not the ninja 1000.

If the ninja 1000 stays around, Id expect to hear about it closer to august or September.

Keep in mind that in some countries the SX is the best selling bike of Kawasaki.
That is for example the case in the UK.
It took a while, but it is getting popular as well here in Belgium.
Even bikers who went a few models in the adventure market, are now reaching back to normal bikes, and the SX is on top of their list.

I don't see the SX being dropped tbh.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Rock, the problem with adv bikes is we've already been there.

If you go back to 1970, there really wasn't a Japanese motorcycle made for offroad. You bought a small "enduro" and it was fully street legal. Ride bike to riding area, enjoy a day of dirt riding, then drive it home. Perfect....right...

Wonderful concept, but it had serious drawbacks. Anything that made a good dirt bike, was opposite of what we needed for street. This includes tires, lights, suspension, frame, brakes, seat, weight...

What we found was a 250lb+ dirt bike sucked, and knobby tires were horrible at 70mph. The lights broke, frames broke, and 25-30 hp was plenty, offroad. With some of the adv bikes approaching 500-600lbs, Id argue they are dangerous, offroad.

So, instead of learning, they tried it again. The economy sucked, and guys could only afford one bike, so lets combine street and dirt...

To prove its a bad idea, all I need is three letters....KLR 650.

If you have framed an idea to where this machine is good, your idea is flawed.

This bike is an old, overweight pos, and nothing more. Obsolete the day it was introduced.
I liked those days when you tore down the road on your enduro and hit a dirt trail before you could get yourself into trouble :)

Yep, everything good for dirt sucks for road except for maybe having some extra travel for those pothole ridden roads. I've dumped my Tigers and F800GSs in the dirt more than once and it was not as pleasant as it was on a 250lb bike. Not that it was actually ever pleasant :)
Point being, though they may take it well, it's not very rational. The GS taking it much better than the Tiger btw- but then the GS sucked on the slab. So these 600 lb. Tiger Explorers really make me chuckle.
That being said I'd love to have some super moto/enduro converting bike. The KTM 690 comes to mind.

However you slice it, these bikes are a bit of a frankenstein at the end of the day, and are sort of a compromise. I've ridden the big GS (R1200) before and can sort of see that as a touring bike, but I don't know if I'd want the cylinder head of a boxer smashing down on my ankle from a simple dirt dump. Yes, they have claimed many an ankle.
Though I must admit, there is a romantic quality to that go anywhere adventure trip, nothing can stop me thing. Just don't know how real it is beyond a dirt road. As I've said many times in the past my GS800 was pretty darn good off road for its size, but riding two hours on the slab with knobbies to get to some dirt really bit the big one.

are now reaching back to normal bikes, and the SX is on top of their list.

I don't see the SX being dropped tbh.
"normal bikes." Exactly! :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have always hated the dual concept. The bike does neither off road or on road well. Buy a dirt bike and if you can afford a KTM dirt bike you will never consider anything else again.

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Will kawasaki update the z 1000, z1000sx/ninja 1000, Versus 1000 to euro 4 spec AND stir find room for a supercharged middle weight machine?

I don't see it, and something will be gone.

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 42 Posts