Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Went to my dealership today with the intention of ordering the Akra full system exhaust. Sat on a ZX10 and now I'm thinking about trading in the N1K for it. It's utterly impractical, but...
It’s highly likely they are releasing a new ZX10 November 23. Might want to wait; either to get the new one, or get a better price on the old one?

Reactions: Energydrinkvape

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
It’s highly likely they are releasing a new ZX10 November 23. Might want to wait; either to get the new one, or get a better price on the old one?
I'd assume so. They're not going to get rid of their flagship liter bike, and Rea had said that he was hoping for an upgrade. Since all the revealed bikes had no major changes, I'd assume there would be some overhaul for the bikes yet to be revealed. I'm not sure what they would do to it, though, since it has so much tech on board already.

Personally, I'd like to see a bike in between the ZX6R and the ZX10, with a bidirectional quickshifter and steering damper. Or at least a slight price drop for the ZX10 lol. $16k for a 200hp bike that costs $2k a year insurance wise, and in all likelihood I would never have to get out of first gear unless I was on the highway...

Probably the reasonable thing would be to upgrade the N1K with exhaust and flash, and then wait for a demo day for the 2021s. Or at least wait until the reveal before I do anything.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
If you really want a 1000cc supersport, right now, it's crazy to not buy the Honda cbr. It's a much better streetbike, it has tons of hop up potential, and its 10-11k. Unless you wanted a track bike at a very high level, the Hondas a better bike.

This generation zx10 is being replaced because it's almost impossible to get good low end and midrange performance from it. It's pretty awful in stock form. Especially as a street bike. Its restricted in its power output, and its gearing is way too high.

No big deal, just change the gearing...not so fast. It also has the traction control system that doesnt like that. Just like the motocross bikes, what you see Rea riding is barely related to what we can buy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
If you really want a 1000cc supersport, right now, it's crazy to not buy the Honda cbr. It's a much better streetbike, it has tons of hop up potential, and its 10-11k. Unless you wanted a track bike at a very high level, the Hondas a better bike.

This generation zx10 is being replaced because it's almost impossible to get good low end and midrange performance from it. It's pretty awful in stock form. Especially as a street bike. Its restricted in its power output, and its gearing is way too high.

No big deal, just change the gearing...not so fast. It also has the traction control system that doesnt like that. Just like the motocross bikes, what you see Rea riding is barely related to what we can buy.
What are your thoughts on the updated ZX6R? That was the bike I had originally considered before the N1K, but literally all of Florida was sold out except for the puke-inducing 2020 Yellow and KRT editions.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I dont like talking about the zx6r. It makes me want another one. I had a 2005. I think that was the first gen of the 636 motor. I also rode a 2008 zx6.....I think it was the first generationn of their new 600cc motor. The handling was amazing, but the 600cc engine was disappointing.

The 2005 was a far better bike. 36cc doesnt sound like much, but in this case, it was a massive difference.

I love the zx6. It isnt any lighter than the zx10, maybe 10lbs, but nothing serious. I dont know if anyone has ever been able to explain this, but with motorcycles, given identical weights, the smaller engine bike always feels better.

I can usually give facts, figures, weights, dyno charts, or information to support my thoughts. With this bike, I dont have any of that. I suppose the cost is really low , at 10k, and the Insurance would be less than the zx10. Ok, so theres one fact. Or two.

It would be hard to walk past the cbr1000 and know I could buy it for a thousand more, but the zx6 is magical. Once and a while they build bikes that end up being more than a spec chart, but this is one of those exceptions. Gsxr 750 is like this, too. Either one would be a great choice as a second bike to the ninja,

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I dont like talking about the zx6r. It makes me want another one. I had a 2005. I think that was the first gen of the 636 motor. I also rode a 2008 zx6.....I think it was the first generationn of their new 600cc motor. The handling was amazing, but the 600cc engine was disappointing.

The 2005 was a far better bike. 36cc doesnt sound like much, but in this case, it was a massive difference.

I love the zx6. It isnt any lighter than the zx10, maybe 10lbs, but nothing serious. I dont know if anyone has ever been able to explain this, but with motorcycles, given identical weights, the smaller engine bike always feels better.

I can usually give facts, figures, weights, dyno charts, or information to support my thoughts. With this bike, I dont have any of that. I suppose the cost is really low , at 10k, and the Insurance would be less than the zx10. Ok, so theres one fact. Or two.

It would be hard to walk past the cbr1000 and know I could buy it for a thousand more, but the zx6 is magical. Once and a while they build bikes that end up being more than a spec chart, but this is one of those exceptions. Gsxr 750 is like this, too. Either one would be a great choice as a second bike to the ninja,
thanks for your response. I’ll probably just wait then until next year when they hopefully have demo days and try out the ZX6R. **** the virus

·
Registered
2017 Yamaha FZ-10 2017 Suzuki M109R
111 Posts
My girlfriend's first bike was a 2006 ZX6R 636, I had a 2003 GSX-R1000, then went to a 2007 GSX-R750, talk about a twitchy throttle........:mad: I couldn't believe how much more powerful the 636 felt than other 600's.

Reactions: Energydrinkvape

·
Registered
273 Posts
I couldn't believe how much more powerful the 636 felt than other 600's.
That's kind of the same opinion Sean Dylan Kelly (Suzuki) complained about Richie Escalante (Kawasaki) during one of the MotoAmerica Supersport races last month, that the Kawasaki had an unfair advantage!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
When you see a bike sit in the line up , for 10 years,unchanged, it's often because they built a really good bike.

Unlike the h2 where they cant keep adding models fast enough to prove the technology, or to force people to want it, the bikes like the zx6 or gsxr 750 just keep selling.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
When you see a bike sit in the line up , for 10 years,unchanged, it's often because they built a really good bike.

Unlike the h2 where they cant keep adding models fast enough to prove the technology, or to force people to want it, the bikes like the zx6 or gsxr 750 just keep selling.
I ended up ordering the Akra full system exhaust. I’ll do the flash after. Even though it ain’t cheap it will be a significant (hopefully lol) upgrade, and cheaper than either trading in my bike or buying a used ZX6R. I guess if Kawi has great deals on demo day then mayb I switch then...but the dyno on Ivan’s website compares well to the stock ZX6R AND GSXR 750.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I really feel like you deserve the akra exhaust and the zx6. I just do...no reason why.

It sucks to spend that much, but you'll never know how well your ninja will run with the stock header. Plus, with my idea, if you are not happy, so what? You'll have the zx6 to fall back on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
I really feel like you deserve the akra exhaust and the zx6. I just do...no reason why.

It sucks to spend that much, but you'll never know how well your ninja will run with the stock header. Plus, with my idea, if you are not happy, so what? You'll have the zx6 to fall back on.
hahahahaha thanks. I guess I deserve it considering how much I’ve worked this year lol
I did some lurking on the zx6r forum and it sounds like the modern ones have the same problems the N1K has in regards to throttle response, so probably at least a flash would be needed. Plus I just don’t believe in slip-ons...why waste your money on a $600 slip on when you could spend $1k more and get so much more. Just more **** to throw away my money on when I should be buying a house 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
616 Posts
What are your thoughts on the updated ZX6R? That was the bike I had originally considered before the N1K, but literally all of Florida was sold out except for the puke-inducing 2020 Yellow and KRT editions.
I had a 2015 ZX6R-636. Regret getting rid of it but my long frame and advanced age no longer tolerate pure sport bikes.

The early 636 bikes obtained the extra 37cc by having a larger bore. When they released the second generation of the 636 the extra 37cc was obtained with a longer stroke to improve midrange power. It's a phenomenal bike and I never wished for more power when riding with my friends who had 1000cc machines. Yes, you need to keep it a bit higher in the rpm range but that is not a problem. Bike had the best stock brakes of any motorcycle I had ever ridden. Stock suspension was good as well. It was one of those bikes that really did not have any issues that I felt like needed fixing......great right off the showroom floor. Mine was completely stock except for the aftermarket forged aluminum rims I put on it for track days. I could ride it stupid fast in the twisties with little effort and come home feeling like this................

Cycle cat.jpg

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Energydrinkvape, with modern bikes, all will need a reflash to run properly. Although some are better than others, fuel cut and noise restrictions cant be worked around.

One of the magazines showed the exhaust header on the 2020 ninja 1000. These folks showed it from the bad side. You can see why they changed to a 4-1, for 2020, as there was no room left for the second slip on. The open area was stuffed with exhaust header and its various cats. If it was 25 lbs, before, it's probably 40lbs now.

141 - 156 of 156 Posts