Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating whether to do this. Akra has a full exhaust system for $1300, and 2wheeldyno has a flash for $300. I don't have the tools nor expertise to replace the exhaust system, so I would require a mechanic for labor, so I estimate the total cost to be roughly $2k, conservatively. Has anyone done this? Ivan does not offer the flash for this model year, unfortunately. I'm also not sure about 2wheeldyno, as I haven't seen any posts regarding this type of remap. Its rather expensive, but it would be cheaper than trading in the bike for a ZX10 and modding it for better ergonomics...not to mention a ZX10 would be a terrible street bike, which is where I do my riding.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
There have been several people who had 2wheeldynoworks flash their ECU's. I would not hesitate to send one to him if I had a 2017-19 machine. His work is good. Heres a video of one. Dont pay too much attention to his power output. You'll do better with an Akra exhaust. He used some off brand exhaust. That's not always a problem, but he left the db killer in place.....that is a problem on a cheap exhaust. You could almost guarantee he lost 8-10 hp because of this.

Look at it more like the flash being amazing to let him keep as much power as he did with the db killer in place. Again, back to the word "guarantee". That's a word that's not smart to use, but I guarantee he would have liked the result more had he opened up his exhaust. The cheap db killers are pretty much like jamming a potato into the exhaust.

Ivan says he will have a flash for this bike, but no idea when. If I had a 19, I would get the flash, right now. Upgrade to Ivan's flash when it's available, or keep what you have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There have been several people who had 2wheeldynoworks flash their ECU's. I would not hesitate to send one to him if I had a 2017-19 machine. His work is good. Heres a video of one. Dont pay too much attention to his power output. You'll do better with an Akra exhaust. He used some off brand exhaust. That's not always a problem, but he left the db killer in place.....that is a problem on a cheap exhaust. You could almost guarantee he lost 8-10 hp because of this.

Look at it more like the flash being amazing to let him keep as much power as he did with the db killer in place. Again, back to the word "guarantee". That's a word that's not smart to use, but I guarantee he would have liked the result more had he opened up his exhaust. The cheap db killers are pretty much like jamming a potato into the exhaust.

Ivan says he will have a flash for this bike, but no idea when. If I had a 19, I would get the flash, right now. Upgrade to Ivan's flash when it's available, or keep what you have.
Thanks for your reply. What do you think the horsepower improvements would be if I just got an Akrapovic (megaphone) slip-on exhaust plus 2wheeldyno flash? If it's +10hp I would probably be ok with just getting that.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
This bike needs a larger header. A slip on wont do much for performance. 2 or 3 hp is about all you get.

The stock headers tube diameter is very small. Theres a point where the small tubes will help with low end power, and torque, so that's not always an issue. However, on this bike, they went too small and theres power, response, and torque to be had by replacing the header. You'll feel this everywhere. Even the low end is better. It's possible Kawasaki did this, on purpose, to limit the bikes horsepower.

Akra has good dyno charts. Look at the slip on chart, then click on the link for the header.

A GOOD reflash is worth having, even if it added zero horsepower. It does add power, but even if it didnt, response and overall control of the engine is so much better that it's worth whatever it costs. It's hard to measure because the dyno only measures hp with the throttle 100% open. If a person was able to measure at 20% throttle, 40% , etc, you would see serious gains with a GOOD flash.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
What's better woolrich or two wheeled dyno? Woolrich doesn't have mail in.
I'll go the two wheeled group if I can't find a local woolrich tuner.
Vape you do it first and let me know 😀

·
Registered
465 Posts
When did Ivan say when he will have a flash? and will it include the 2020 model? I am assuming it will since he always buys them bnew right?
I am still on my 2014, and I am waiting for the 2nd or 3rd reiteration if the 2020 model and accessories to proliferate. Can't even get chinese fairings for the revamped styling.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
235 Posts
I have a 2019 myself and have gone back and forth about this topic for a few reasons. I purchased an extended warranty and feel like if something wrong, they would tie it to the tune. The other side of that is whether it would mess up the TC. Lastly, if I did go the whole exhaust system would it cause issues her in California since they are stringent on noise which is no longer correctable and the emissions system.
I would likely try the tune with standard exhaust if I knew it wouldn't mess up the traction control.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
This is about the time Motoman is going to show up and drop his wad.....

Ivan wont discuss timelines as to "when". He said he will have one for the 17-19, but no idea as to when.

Woolich has the hardware/software to flash with. For way under 1000.00, you could order the cable and become "Rocks Reflash" and sell flashes. They get a license fee for the bikes you flash. Most every tuner uses their software and cables. They have a map share forum where you can find tunes for most any bike. I've seen the software, and I could use it. I can barely plug in an ipod. It's been dumbed down to where anyone can use it. Its amazing compared to the old power comander stuff.

This is where Ivan's different. He had his own flash system built and doesnt use the woolich stuff at all.

Woolich is an inch deep, and a mile wide as they try to cater to any bike that's available. Ivan's work is much more involved, but he cant cover all the bikes when it takes years to get one bike to his standards.

I would use the other tuners and woolich software if that's all I could get. That's not a slam on them. What they do is going to be way better than stock. At the same time, I would not BS myself into thinking i received Ivan quality work when I did this.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
235 Posts
I decided to give 2wheel Dynoworks a try. Just sent off my ECU and should have it back by Thursday. I'm running a stock exhaust with slip ons. I don't think I will go with anything custom for a lot of reasons. However, I'm not completely ruling it out in the future.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Cool. Let me know how you like it, because I reached out to them and may be doing the same thing in a week or so.
My warranty is up so I don't care, and I did get reassurance form them that it wouldn't trip any codes or interfere with the electronics (which remainds to be seen) so I don't have any apprehension in doing this this, but I do want to know what would happen if they flash it for an akro header that I plan to put on.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
235 Posts
Rock, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm going out on a limb since I have an extended warranty but based on what I've come to know, the bike is pretty reliable.

I communicated with Nels at 2 wheel and I feel assured that it will be OK. They've been around and from what I can tell, it's makes a difference without problems.

If things go wrong, get ready for the crying I'll be doing.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I think you're safe to do this train. They can always reset the ECU back to stock as well. ANd as you say there's little need for a warranty on a Ninja in the first three years.
Eager to hear how it feels.

·
Registered
295 Posts
There have been several people who had 2wheeldynoworks flash their ECU's. I would not hesitate to send one to him if I had a 2017-19 machine. His work is good.

My, my, my.

Sounds like SOMEONE has had a 'Come to Jesus' moment...

If it every arrives, you can always 'Downgrade' to Ivan's if you like riding around your garage and need real smooth response at small throttle openings... 😂

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
Theres no come to Jesus moment, but I cant recommend products that are not available, and people want to flash their bikes. This is more like, "Any port in a storm".

How many flashes has 2 wheel done that went over Ivan's work? Zero. But it's still better than nothing.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I for one want it all, the smooth response at small throttle openings and more power. If I remember correctly, I got both when Ivan flashed my previous Ninja. So for sure if 2wheel flashes my ECU now, I'll send it in to Ivan for a reflash once he has one finalized, unless the 2wheel flash blows me away. If I did reflash with Ivan and found I like the 2wheel better afterwords, 2wheel reflashes for free, so not a major risk IMO.

·
Registered
295 Posts
How many flashes has 2 wheel done that went over Ivan's work? Zero.
I don't know that and neither do you. But that never stops you from making wild guesses!

In addition to the fact that after spending money for a Flash, most guys wouldn't reflash with someone else unless there are some real problems and the original tech can't fix it. Which I've never heard of.

I imagine the Flash business is starting to get crowded at this point. So you have to make it up with Volume. In addition to the overall decline of Motorcycle sales. Ivan is known for flashing certain bikes, but I wonder if his business model is holding up. Plus, he isn't getting any younger... I imagine he'll hang it up soon, and come and live with you, RC! 😅

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
I saw a stack of papers on ivans desk that were flashes that went over the work of others. You would be surprised at how many know his work is in a different league from what the others offer.

That doesnt mean you should not take advantage of what you can get, at the moment....just like we did back in the power commander days.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I saw a stack of papers on ivans desk that were flashes that went over the work of others.
Well, that's interesting. So you actually went back East to see him? What pray tell, was the reason for that?

That doesnt mean you should not take advantage of what you can get, at the moment....just like we did back in the power commander days.
Or the TRE!

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
Who said i went east? I sailed from Long Beach and went through the Panama Canal. I hate airport lines.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts