Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,059 Posts
Let's think about this. Why would the manufacture continue to spec an old tire? Is it because they are cheap? Saving money?

There may be some of that, but the biggest reason is testing. They test these items that they bolt on our bikes. They don't go through the catalogue and grab random tires, shocks, or anything else.

You see them use the same, OEM spec tire on a bike until the bike is revised enough to require more tire testing. Then it will end up with a tire that looks like one of the modern tires, but will still be OEM quality, and built to the OEM spec, and price point.

Notice when the ninja tires changed as an example. They were upgraded when the bike was revised in it's abs and traction control systems,and not one second before.

Notice that none of them will lock in with a single brand. Japan has always avoided single suppliers. Even Honda uses KYB suspension, on some bikes, when they own Showa.

Nothing new here. This has happened since the 70's.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Another reason a lot of riders "feel" aftermarket tires are markedly better is because it's too easy to compare the brand new aftermarket tires they ride home on to the old worn-out uneven-tread cupped scalloped age-hardened OEM tires they rode to the tire shop.

For a fair comparison, a guy would have to remember exactly what the previous set of tires felt like back when they were brand new. For many riders, that could be a year ago, or longer. It's all too easy for the clear recent memory to color the faded old memory.

Reactions: MicMac

·
Registered
20 Posts
"I would say they are hypersport tires that lean way more on the track side than they do on the sport touring side."

Thanks. Perfect, that is what I wanted to hear. OKay, they sound good so that's some money saved. Yay.
I wouldn't celebrate too soon, I doubt these are the same as the retail versions, but OEM versions made to a lessor stansard. They grip great both in a straight line and on the side of the tire, but after 4300 miles my rear is squared off and at the wear bands. I am looking for a better option, no way I'm replacing tires every 3 months.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts