Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
REF:
The Doohickey Issue with the KLR is supposedly a well known problem across all generations of the KLR.
Was considering the KLR for mileage-king until I saw this. It's still not fixed in the latest 2021 model.
Question: are there any similar issues in our Ninja 1000SX? May be not the same part but perhaps other parts with weaker design that would favor an upgrade to a beefier version?

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
No, we really dont have any trouble spots in this engine. A few have had transmission issues, but even that doesnt happen often enough to be of much concern. I only saw a handful of those, around 2014.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, we really dont have any trouble spots in this engine. A few have had transmission issues, but even that doesnt happen often enough to be of much concern. I only saw a handful of those, around 2014.
You are 100% honest, @rcannon409, correct?
:ROFLMAO: (y)

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
Arthur, I try to be. If I were being more honest, I would say most of the transmission issues happened after a quickshifter was added. People thi k quick shifters are good at any/all rpm and any load, and that isnt true.

The klr is a pos. Always has been, always will be. It was a bad copy of the amazing Honda xr 600, back in 1983. People like them, but that doesnt mean it's a good bike.

Arthur, seriously.....if we had this defective part, and an upgrade was available, and under 100.00, I would have bought 2 or 3 of them, as I looked for the 4th. Yes, I'm that dumb. I have 2 shift supports. 1 isnt needed, 2 is foolish. I dont fight it, anymore. Its me.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I were being more honest, I would say most of the transmission issues happened after a quickshifter was added.
[...]
What were the issues revolving KQS ?
A dumb QS would just lower the RPM of the engine momentarily while you force the shift.
A smarter design would cause an assisted shift just like a clutch release but I don't think those exists.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What were the issues revolving KQS ?
A dumb QS would just lower the RPM of the engine momentarily while you force the shift.
A smarter design would cause an assisted shift just like a clutch release but I don't think those exists.
Mine (2021) feels and sounds like it momentarily interrupts the ignition system, going up. Coming back down, there does seem to be some rev matching. Not a throttle blip, but it feels a bit too smooth to be unassisted. Both are clutchless. I guess the problem is, particularly when coming down the 'box, it doesn't kick in at lower revs and it needs to be learnt when that point is being reached. Until then, the temptation might be to press the shift lever harder! I regularly ride other bikes and have to re-learn that point when I get back on, but it's becoming second nature.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine (2021) feels and sounds like it momentarily interrupts the ignition system, going up. Coming back down, there does seem to be some rev matching. Not a throttle blip, but it feels a bit too smooth to be unassisted. Both are clutchless. I guess the problem is, particularly when coming down the 'box, it doesn't kick in at lower revs and it needs to be learnt when that point is being reached. Until then, the temptation might be to press the shift lever harder! I regularly ride other bikes and have to re-learn that point when I get back on, but it's becoming second nature.
This :)
I had no issue going up shift right from the start and it is amazing when I remember I can :) - But down shift took me what felt like all too long to make it natural - I would forget to close throttle all the way or still pull clutch into try at too low a speed lol

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Auto-blip is there when coming down to lower gears to do rev-matching when you force in the gears.
I may be wrong but I doubt it automatically disengages and re-engages he gears, like a clutch does it, when you use QS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts