Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Any body else been bothered by pollen while riding

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  ninja22 
#1 ·
Its been terrible this year high pollen count daily, seems like every time i go out and ride i end up being stuffed up and sneezing and coughing, first time i been bothered by it, i even tried filter material in the vents in my helmet, was wandering if any body else suffers this dilema, and i always take claratin or allegra.

#2 ·
I used to fail my flight physical vision screening every year because of pollen. The Navy doc would ground me until I could pass. The challenge was finding an antihistamine that didn't really mess with me other than dealing with my symptoms. So I went to an eye doc off base and he suggested something that made a huge difference for me.

Instead of some of the other drugs that are overkill, or tended to make me drowsy, he suggested chlorpheniramine maleate. I figured it would be hella expensive or worse. Went into my local Walgreens and asked for them. I think a bottle of 200 tablets was like $2 or so. At the time they were about a penny a piece. Fast forward 20+ years and they are up to about a whopping 3 cents each.

For me they work great and no side effects but of course YMMV. What I like is they are not an all day medicine. I just take them when I need them. They last about 5-6 hours so any side effects typically aren't long lasting. I keep a bottle of them in my backpack everywhere I go. They've worked for me all over the world. I've had to deal with spring pollen about 5 different times this year because of all my traveling.

#3 ·
Ill stop by the drugstore tommorrow day trippin and pick some up ive been taking this other stuff for so long maybe a change will help thanks for the info.

#4 ·
Not by pollen itself, but with insects filled with nectar.

Bloody ****, one splatted insect is enough to fill your full vizor :(

#7 ·
The pollen was real bad this year east bay especilly down here in the south east

#9 ·
I take 2 12 hr alegra d ever day and flonase at night i think my system is getting imune to this stuff

#11 ·
Ill look that up ninja 22 thanks

#12 ·
Ketotifen eye drops work for me on top of allergy pills. Ketotifen is an antihistamine that takes the burning out of your eyes, but than enters the tear ducts and works on your sinuses from the top down. It's non prescription, but they keep them behind the counter for some reason? Maybe people kept stealing them? And it's cheap!

#13 ·
Thats what i needed a month ago when i was traveling back and forth through the national forest every day, they was having controlled burns and my eyes hurt and watered so bad i would have to pull over cause i couldnt see. Ill definately pick some of that up. Fortunately the tree pollen is comming to an end down here, and so is the controlled burns thank god.

#14 ·
been dealing with allergies for 25 years. nothing has ever worked for me. the drus would barely take the edge off, but not much. but as i get older, i seem to be growing out of them thank god! 15 years ago when i started riding, i couldn't even ride this time of year. if i did, i had to take my contacts out when i got to work because my eyes would be swollen, watery, itchy, sneezing blah blah blah. they were so bad that people just didn't understand when i said i couldn't come out side to play as a kid, or couldn't go riding, shooting, hunting, fishing, any thing out doors.

but yes, pollen does affect you while riding. think of it as forced ram air induction for your eye balls at 140mph lol.

#15 ·
My brother-in-law is a Pharm.D. and recommends that you use either Claritin, Allegra, and Zyrtec, and find out which works best for you. He also says that after using one of these successfully for months, it may stop working and you need to change to another. I have found this to be true. All of these brands have generic substitutes.

#16 ·
I think you hit it on the head geldscheisser ive been on allegra a couple of years now daily and i think it quit working

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.