Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can generally live with the padding and design of the stock seat except for one major issue. The forward slant is driving me crazy. I am a pretty big guy so the little seat pocket is already a bit cramped. Add in that it is always pushing my jewels against the tank I can't take it for too long on a ride, especially when I hit the more tingly rpms of 5k+.

So what seat doesn't push you forward? I don't need a downward slope. I wouldn't mind a little bigger pocket if I am going with something different. It will have to be a buy and replace the stocker. I don't have time to send my stock seat out to be reshaped. I ride the bike every day.

The one option I might be able to entertain is to stop by Corbins on a weekend and have the do the seat there. Laam is too far out of my way to consider as a ride-in option. I could reasonably consider anyone between LA & San Fran to ride-in or just order one outright. I don't really want to spend a fortune on it either. Expensive doesn't always equal better. For example I compared a Russell day long and a Corbin on one bike. I liked the Corbin better. I've also learned though just because a seat from one company is good on a bike doesn't mean that their seat for a different model bike will be just as good.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I actually purchased something to help with the sliding issue. I will be installing it soon and will be taking it for a test ride once done.

I tend to grip my bikes tightly with my legs, and I was finding that I was slipping even with my grip on the tank/side of the bike. After I waxed the bike (profusely), I found that the sliding only became worse.

This is the product I purchased/place I purchased from. It took 3 weeks or so to get it to me. Wish it had happened sooner, but there it is.
Techspec Snake Skin 4 Piece Grip Kit for Kawasaki Ninja 1000 13 14 Z1000 11 13 | eBay

I really don't want to replace the seat itself. I've found some of the replacement seats look to change the geometry of the seat too much for me, and I fear I will lose some handling of the current.

Reactions: maniak

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've already have the Techspec on order. It should be here tomorrow.

I also tried the Airhawk option. Their dual sport air bladder is the right size but it has a down hill slope to the front molded into it.

I'd like the seat pocket to be about an inch deeper and raise the front about 1/2" -3/4". I don't care if the seat is a bit taller, my legs are long enough to easily touch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've got the tech specs on mine too, they're good. I've got a Sargent saddle on order too. My VTR Superhawk had an irritating forward cant to it and a Sargent helped. Wasn't perfect but way better. I'll add my 2 cents on the Sargent solution after I get mine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm in Santa Cruz. The mountain roads ought to be cleaner after this storm by then. Still be lots of wet spots and pine needles though, watch it if you ride up there.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I was just in Santa Cruz 2 weeks ago. I like the boardwalk area. I planned on riding through again this weekend. I may go down to Carmel and then up along PCH to San Fran then over to Napa. Probably by then I'll hate the stock seat. It will be my longest ride on it. Either that or my rear will be conditioned. Techspechs said they will show up on Thursday so I'll slap them on before I go.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Any of you guys with the Techspec on a Green N1k? I'd like to see how it looks, although my guess is they will look fine...

I've got the OEM, (well, Kawasaki branded) Grip stuff on the tank (came with the bike) and it's better than the freshly waxed tank but not by much...

~Mark

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have the green, with Tech Spec. I'll snap a shot once I install it. I might do it tonight, I might do it tomorrow. Feeling a bit worn.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Here's a picture with the TechSpec grip on the tank and the smaller piece in front of the tank.

Attachments

Reactions: sprockethead

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks nice. Mine just showed up tonight. I have too many things I need to do ahead of it this week before I ride this weekend. My heated grips arrived. So did my pope's hat windscreen, 16T countershaft, LED replacement lights, cruise control, Hyperlites and a lot more goodies.

I have a lead on a local upholstery shop that supposedly does a good job with MC seats. I may give them a shot next week to see what they can do.

·
Registered
76 Posts
After my first ride on the Ninja I immediately ordered Tech Spec tank grippers. I couldn't handle the forward slant. I also had my seat reshaped, recovered and added a denser foam to the front of the seat where it meets the tank. I did a 3 day road trip shortly there after and have been comfortable ever since.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the Corbin seat covered in the plain leather. Extremely slippery. I already had the Snakeskin on the frame and tank or believe me, I'd have been lost overboard long ago. The nose of the seat is still way too low. If I'm sitting back and close the throttle it will slide me right into the tank. I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I realized on a long trip I am in the middle of that I could actually live with the stock seat if it wasn't for the slope going forward. I put on about 650 miles on Friday. About 300 of that was riding with my son along PCH. Almost nobody on the road and it was an amazing ride. I just had to keep the speeds within his abilities so he didn't ride over his head.

I definitely will need the nose raised up a bit and maybe the overall height of the seat. That would give me a bit more legroom as well. My legs were in a lot of pain by the end of the ride to be honest and I was feeling it on Saturday. I spent about 12-13 hours total time in the saddle on Friday under a wide variety of conditions. Had some 60+ mph crosswinds at time. One was so strong that I thought it was going to lift the entire bike off the ground while banked over in a turn.

The bike ran great and was truly in its element. I am glad I went with the pope's hat windscreen as well. In the down position it as about perfect for flying low on the interstates. I

then moved it up when I was in an area that had thousands of butterflies intent on committing suicide as I rode along. They were huge with about 4-5" wingspans. One hit me dead center on my faceshield and I had to stop and cleaning it immediately as I was blinded by the bug juice. It totally covered the faceshield. It was after that I went with pope's hat in maximum deflector mode.

Half way through the ride I stopped in Big Sur with my son. It was one of those magical times that you don't think life can get much better than this. I got to do a ride I always wanted to do with my dad but never did. I could see the expression on my son's face that maybe someday when he has kids that he'd like to do it with them.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spencer does good work but clearly articulate what you want him to do otherwise you are just throwing your money away. Each bike/rider is different and what his "standard" build is may not work for you so make sure you communicate what your issue are with the stock seat and what you want in the future one.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Spencer does good work but clearly articulate what you want him to do otherwise you are just throwing your money away. Each bike/rider is different and what his "standard" build is may not work for you so make sure you communicate what your issue are with the stock seat and what you want in the future one.
Yea, I told him overall the seat is fine; it just doesn't distribute weight very well. I also sent him a pic with the seating position. He recommended replacing the foam with Supracor. Curious to see how it turns out; he's done a few N1K seats and people seem happy, so fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I cancelled my Sargent order and went with a Laam seat which I sent back for mods and was still unhappy with it. Nice looking seat, beautiful craftsmanship but should've done a ride in fitting I guess. Anyway, now I've taken the foam intact off a SV 650 and stuck it on the seat pan of the Ninja and bingo, what a comfortable seat I now have. The back edge of it fits the seat pan perfectly, the front not so much but I'll deal with the upholstery details as I go. It brings the front of the seat up a good 1 and half inches at least. I'll post some pics soon.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts