Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - Just bought my first ever Kawasaki after a 12 yr Motorbike absence in my life. Went with something more touring focused this time as I am hoping to convince my SO to join me. She has never been on or expressed a desire to be on a motorbike in her life. So I went with the Ninja SX 1000 (I got the SE version as the paint in real life is soooo nice). I also added a top box instead of panniers so the SO can feel a bit more confident on the back of a bike. The top box is a bit polarising you either like the look or you don't. I am not in love with the look but don't hate it either. I got the keyed alike and green lid options to make it blend in.
Here she is after 1st service I got the TopBox and RadGuard fitted at the same time. Already added the PUIG screen on the day I picked it up.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lovely! i bought the SE also and ordered the panniers which still haven't arrived.
I didn't even look into the panniers but the top box was waiting for me in around 3 days after purchase of the bike. I assume its not as popular obviously. I like the way the panniers integrate on the bike too.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
170 Posts
Welcome Minlak, great choice of bike (and colour ;))
Enjoy!!
If your SO decides not to join you don't worry, it's a great solo ride!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome from another Aussie. I feel there are getting enough numbers there should be an Australian local section!!!

I like the top box. When I was purchasing mine I did have a think which I should purchase, top box or panniers. In the end for what I am looking for the panniers suited me.

Any mod's planned for the new machine?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome from another Aussie. I feel there are getting enough numbers there should be an Australian local section!!!

I like the top box. When I was purchasing mine I did have a think which I should purchase, top box or panniers. In the end for what I am looking for the panniers suited me.

Any mod's planned for the new machine?
Have changed the screen already - about to order a slip-on more for looks and small weight saving to the right side. That's probably about it for a while at least.

Got the SO to go on her first ever motorcycle ride on the weekend - Only around 70kms in total with a lunch break - She is an awesome pillion (I put that down to she was terrified and too scared to move)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which slip on are you thinking of getting?
I recently replaced mine with an IxIL RC slip on.
I was going to get the Leo Vince Titanium but have decided on the Akrapovic Titanium Slip-On - I like the little carbon heat shield piece and after more looking think I like the longer Slip-ons over the shorter ones.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Figured may as well keep this in here - So I ended up with a Michelin Angel GT tyre on my rear - Picked the bike up today after the service and it was like riding a different bike. Now I am not sure if riding the FZ1 aggressively around town lead to me being more confident or if it it was actually just the newer tyre.

I felt the bike (for me) was being forced in to the lean and once tipped over was fine but the tipping point needed effort - With just the rear changed I hit 2 lean angles left and right I had never hit before and just on my ride home from the shop. I was so impressed I took it straight back tot the shop and I am getting an Angel GT 2 fitted on the front.

I had read other people's experiences with the Bridgestone as being similar to mine that they felt they were forcing the tip in.

Might do my big round trip this weekend now just to see :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok fitted the new screen from Eagle screens - it’s ummm tall!!! Haven’t tried it in a ride yet - not a fan of the look but it would be impossible to get a taller screen and make it look like it should be there :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow that’s a screen mate, needs a wiper on it!
It does a better job than the smaller screen but its still not perfect - i just sit too high on the bike to get the helmet under or into the wind tunnel - Decided it is what it is for now and will just get better ear plugs I think :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
It does a better job than the smaller screen but its still not perfect - i just sit too high on the bike to get the helmet under or into the wind tunnel - Decided it is what it is for now and will just get better ear plugs I think :)
Just ordered better earplugs myself been using foam ones. Trying Alpine Pro’s get good reviews

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just ordered better earplugs myself been using foam ones. Trying Alpine Pro’s get good reviews
I have been using some Kawasaki branded plugs that are re-usable and cut the noise back by 24DB - they are ok - When I ride 2 up I still need to hear the missus in comms and if I block anymore out I wont hear it. Thinking of trying to get something with bluetooth speakers built in - Maybe like earmolds or something.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
You might try adding one of these. Inexpensive, it's lasted over a year and I can raise the windblast the inch needed to give me a nice quiet air pocket.

Reactions: Minlak

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You might try adding one of these. Inexpensive, it's lasted over a year and I can raise the windblast the inch needed to give me a nice quiet air pocket.
I actually tried on of them first as they were cheap - 450km round trip with it on adjusting it every time I stopped - It bought about its own issues in no specific order and they changed each time I changed its position
  • Sharp edge wind noise as no curve to the finish the wind blowing over the top edge was horrendous
  • Flexing of the screen when truck passed
  • no effect at all on helmet wind noise

That new screen when I tried it put the wind right to the top of the helmet and made the wind noise higher as it was catching the vent on the top of the helmet directly - I will probably also buy another helmet to try - I persisted with the screen options as the helmet I have is super silent on my naked bikes with no disturbed air being forced over or into it.
Current screen:- Puig Racing Screen
Position 1 (lowest) quiet but pushes all the wind onto my chest and can't use GPS in this position
Position 2 wind tries to pull the helmet from head with upforce
Position 3 no helmet pulling but wind across bottom of helmet super noisy
Position 4 (highest) wind noise bearable with ear plugs - some helmet pressure depending on where I move my head

1 - 20 of 20 Posts