Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
One of the guys I work with does the snowmobile racing. He runs the older, two stroke snowmobiles. They still have 1/4 mile tracks in Boise, ID and Las Vegas.

I asked him how they are, in the snow, once they make 200ish hp. He said he had no idea. He said it wasn't possible to run it in the snow, anymore. It was too street specific in the way it made power.

No shifting. You just pin the throttle and go.. He says he's dialed in for 9.8's. He's a big guy. A normal sized person would be much faster.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Ahhhhh...44 degrees and OMG! Sunshine! Had to get out and hit the favorite touristy roads to see how my Eagles were faring. Fortunately the roads throughout the Skagit valley are a bit raised because a lot of the fields are under water. Some leftover debris on the roads but not much. I kept thinking "Yea! Winter's over, spring is here." I know, zero chance of that here. A hundred miles later and I'm feeling much better now. Ahhhhh...all is right with the world again...

Bike fired right up after ~5 weeks sitting, not even an extra second or 2 of cranking before it fired. The bike's clock is still set to DST! :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
One of the most common new snowmobiling rider mistakes that ATV and motorcycle riders make is judging stopping distance. You need way more, like 5 times more. That and way less control at a any given speed. The 800cc class 2 strokes make over 150hp stock, and thew new 2 stroke turbos make even more. trees have a way of jumping out in front of you in turns...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ahhhhh...44 degrees and OMG! Sunshine! Had to get out and hit the favorite touristy roads to see how my Eagles were faring. Fortunately the roads throughout the Skagit valley are a bit raised because a lot of the fields are under water. Some leftover debris on the roads but not much. I kept thinking "Yea! Winter's over, spring is here." I know, zero chance of that here. A hundred miles later and I'm feeling much better now. Ahhhhh...all is right with the world again...

Bike fired right up after ~5 weeks sitting, not even an extra second or 2 of cranking before it fired. The bike's clock is still set to DST! :(
Awesome. I can't think of anything that makes the world more right than a blast up a favorite section of road. Sometimes it takes two blasts but it ALWAYS works. I got to ride this entire week (it's been raining).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
One of the most common new snowmobiling rider mistakes that ATV and motorcycle riders make is judging stopping distance. You need way more, like 5 times more. That and way less control at a any given speed. The 800cc class 2 strokes make over 150hp stock, and thew new 2 stroke turbos make even more. trees have a way of jumping out in front of you in turns...
I've snowmobiled in the Sierras and can not imaging doing a 9 sec 1/4 mile on one. They must be setup very special to be stable at that acceleration/speed.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I rode a snowmobile about 23 years ago. We did 100 miles in Yellowstone at ten below zero. Having ridden motorcycles for many years I expected it to be natural for me. Wrong! I had no idea they are constantly moving around in the ruts. I had to learn to not fight it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Not only that but it beats the crap out of you between the legs worse than a horse. It kills all those muscles you're not used to using!

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
I rode a snowmobile about 23 years ago. We did 100 miles in Yellowstone at ten below zero. Having ridden motorcycles for many years I expected it to be natural for me. Wrong! I had no idea they are constantly moving around in the ruts. I had to learn to not fight it.
That's exactly my recollection of snowmobiling. I never felt like I was in control. You kind of urge it to go where you want and hope that it does if you have any kind of speed. And the problem in softer snow is you have to keep your speed up to keep moving.

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
We tried to take our "trail" snow machines, off trail. It don't take long to learn that tracks were like motorcycle tires.

A mild, short trail track was perfect for digging a hole so deep that it took 4 people to dig it out.

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
404 Posts
Looks like we will have good weather here in the Pacific NW today.
I was out yesterday on my Ninja and it was lovely to feel the smoothness of my 1000SX again after a hiatus of about 4 weeks.

Reactions: kenors

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you're asking me, I'm in North San Jose, CA. Milpitas border at the south end of the San Francisco Bay Area. It's in the high 50s and pretty close to perfect riding weather.
I lived near there in 1988 & 1989 (Sunnyvale then Santa Clara). It was an incredible place to ride back in those days. Real estate prices drove me.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts