Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how much more of this brutal winter weather I'll be able to ride through.

Plant Sky Tire Car Wheel

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
Same sort of day here, but not quite warm enough to be sure there is no...and I'm sorry, I don't know what else I'm supposed to call it...."Black Ice". Maybe it's African-American ice, but it's hiding in the areas where the trees have shade.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Looks like year round riding to me, and I would brag about it too!

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I see some of your pics and I feel bad for you. At least some of you get to break out the snow toys!

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
182 Posts
Ok, I've gotta ask - where in the world are you??
It looks picture perfect, especially for riding conditions!

·
Registered
2018 Versys 1000 & 2021 Z900RS
19 Posts
😅😅 Funny..... I'll take Florida for year round riding! I don't know how northern owners do it unless, they have a snowmobile to ride. 😎😎

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
There was a guy on a yamaha MT900 yesterday, riding around when it was 14 degrees with salt and sand all over the road as it was icy the day before. That was just plain stupid (looked like a squid), but some people actually still ride in the dead of winter around here, if there is no snow on the roads, regardless of how nonsensical. I draw the line at 37-38 degrees, and after the salt and sand has been washed away. That sh*t is traction kryptonite.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I've gotta ask - where in the world are you??
It looks picture perfect, especially for riding conditions!
If you're asking me, I'm in North San Jose, CA. Milpitas border at the south end of the San Francisco Bay Area. It's in the high 50s and pretty close to perfect riding weather.

There was a guy on a yamaha MT900 yesterday, riding around when it was 14 degrees with salt and sand all over the road as it was icy the day before. That was just plain stupid (looked like a squid), but some people actually still ride in the dead of winter around here, if there is no snow on the roads, regardless of how nonsensical. I draw the line at 37-38 degrees, and after the salt and sand has been washed away. That sh*t is traction kryptonite.
Maybe that's his only mode of transpo. I rode through 3 winters when my bike was my only mode of transpo.

Reactions: Matt-CO and MicMac

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
I was thinking of that, or he could have had a car in the shop. Either way, with the roads blanketed with white powder (de icer) he should have taken an uber or cab. We have a ton of cheap cab services around here and given the extent of his gear I would say he was local so a cab ride wouldn't have cost much. You can ride winters in your area much easier than we can. Not a chance you can go three winters around here with just a bike.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking of that, or he could have had a car in the shop. Either way, with the roads blanketed with white powder (de icer) he should have taken an uber or cab. We have a ton of cheap cab services around here and given the extent of his gear I would say he was local so a cab ride wouldn't have cost much. You can ride winters in your area much easier than we can. Not a chance you can go three winters around here with just a bike.
Yeah, I thought of that as I typed my reply. HUGE difference between here and where you are! Worst I had to deal with was rain and every once in a great while black ice.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
I road in the snow a few times and it was dicey to say the least. Not by choice but got caught with my pants down sort to speak. Two times the roads were warm when it started snowing and I only had 10 or so miles to go, so it didn't start to accumulate too badly until I got near my destination. A couple of other times I did not get my bike in storage in time and had to ride it in, but the storage facility was close and in a pretty straight line from where I was parked, so I kept my feet on/near the round like i was off road and gingerly road the couple of blocks. Still had some serious slippage.
Road conditioners or no, tires won't give enough in temps under 20 degrees to ever be able to turn safely, so you'd better grandma it in corners.

·
Registered
2021 1000SX, Akra slip on, KQR side cases, to be continued.....
60 Posts
Mother's Day weekend of 2020 we were on a 4 day ride about in northern West Virginia. Based at Seneca Rocks. It snowed. Accumulating on grassy surfaces and some of the roads at higher elevations. Worst part was the ice on the visor, inside. I was fairly warm with heated jacket liner, gloves and grips plus rain gear. One of my companions had no heat other than grips. He wasn't happy. We pulled in to a grocery store in Davis and spent 1/2 an hour tromping around the aisles, thawing out. Once back at the motel the sun came out and it warmed up a bit. Checking the bike I saw what I thought was a leak. It turned out to be the melting slush that had built up in the lower fairing. That's my only experience riding in the snow. Good times!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes Sir! My winter toy. I want to replace it with either a new Yamaha WR250F or maybe a KTM 250 XC-F.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
I don't think people realize how fast snowmobiles really are. The language is terrible in this video, but the snowmobile is way more stock than the Hayabusa.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The weather and lane splitting are one of the reasons why I still live in CA.
Same here. That and I was born and raised here. Deep roots.

I don't think people realize how fast snowmobiles really are. The language is terrible in this video, but the snowmobile is way more stock than the Hayabusa.

Holy Crap!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts