Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011-2014 Ninja 1000 is $590 a year for me full coverage half that if i didnt take full coverage and just liablity.

2011-2014 ZX 10 or ZX 14, quotes ranging from "we refuse to ensure it" to 1500-4k.

I am a 20 year+ biker with a great driving record.

Just seems insane? both types of machines are capable of phenonmal speeds, I think the maturiy and driving instincts of the driver are to play a massive role in the liability risks here lol.

Am I insane? very happy with the N1K but would have considered a ZX14 but the options just seemed ludicrious to pay half the bikes value in insurance for a year.

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
Try amig insurance...They were priced 1/2 of what anyone else wanted, for me.

Yes, insurance is insane. A z1000 is way less than out ninjas. Plastic costs a lot?

Great...more plastic, more cost. Perfect. If so, why is my concours 14, with saddlebags, 1/3 of what my ninja is? Its also faster.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
supersport tag i guess. completely illogical a bad or careless rider is more prone to accidents on a 250 piece of junk then someone on any 1000CC + sport bike thats classed as super sport.

rcannon409: I am paying 1/3 or 1/4 on ninja 1000 as I would on a ZX14, both have plastic :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
First of all, YES, insurance is insane.

When an insurance has a bug up their butt over a particular vehicle, they just quote some ridiculous premium in hopes you will go somewhere else. It doesn't surprise me that some insurers quote really crazy premiums on the ZX-10. Not that they should, but that's just how they work. Shop around. The rates vary a great deal from one company to another.

When I was fresh out of college, I had AAA insurance. I gave the honda accord I was driving back to my stepfather and bought little hatchback with a turbocharger, oooooooh! So AAA, where I was paying 700/year for the honda, now wanted 2000/year for my new hatchback. I just about crapped in my pants. I knew it would be more expensive, but this was crazy. The next place I called quoted me 1200/year. That was pretty easy! I've been with this same agent/company ever since then. He got my renters ins., my subsequent homeowner's ins., and my last 4 vehicles since then...and my ninja 1000.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Alot dont know what there talking about, they made me decide to get a 1000, because it was cheaper than a honda 650 f figure that one out lol, but im thanking them now for being stupid

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
My agent is a lady who worked for my wife. She worked hard and ended up getting her license. We were customer 00000000002 for her.

She took all of our policies, and matched them up.

When she was done, she showed us how she could save on the car and house, but could not get close to my Progressive rate for the c 14 or the amig rate for the ninja.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Progressive and GEICO both run buckets of MC Insurance TV ads in Fla. I had my cars with Progressive for over 10 years and they wouldn't insure the NINJA. Same for GEICO, "we don't do sport bikes." Ended up switching everything over to State Farm took a $1k deductible on collision & theft, and it was very reasonable.

·
Registered
370 Posts
When I was a teenager, my father had insurance with State Farm. Every time I got a traffic ticket, the agent would call my father to tell him. This happened 3-4 times over several years. I swore I would never use State Farm insurance when I was an adult on my own.

Fast forward 24+ years, I had State Farm insurance on my home, cars, everything. They treated me well and the price was competitive. So, my son (oldest child) turns 16 just about the same time we made a major location move for a new job. Getting him rated on a vehicle kind of slipped through the cracks. Less than one month after moving -- you guessed it -- he totaled one of our family vehicles (the newest, about 9 months old) in a major 4-car accident at a busy intersection. Completely and unquestionably his fault. No one was injured, thankfully. State Farm covered it all. I am a loyal customer for life.

Five years ago, I bought a slightly used, but well-maintained Honda ST1300. Full coverage insurance, $250 deductible, was $210/year. About a year later, a yearling doe violated all traffic laws, failed to yield, and ran in front of the bike; causing over $3,000 damage (glancing impact, all cosmetic - yes the tupperware IS expensive on that bike). State Farm didn't total the bike as expectied, but covered the repair -- essentially a complete new fairing (I ordered the parts online and did all the work myself). I put over 55,000 wonderful miles on that bike. When I sold it 3 months ago, it looked brand new.

Eighteen months ago, I bought a new '15 N1K. Full coverage, $500 deductible, $540/year. (When I explained it was a ZX1000, not a Z1000 or a ZX-10, I was told the rating doesn't differentiate between the three models.) I'm okay with that price, especially considering all the history I have with State Farm.

Thanks for indulging my long story.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
State Farm was awesoem , for me, when I was 16-18. They bought me 3 different, new bikes when I totaled them. I paid a lot for it, but the coverage was amazing.

They were not competitive, at all, for me, on auto and motorcycle, but I kept my house with them just because they were so cool, so long ago.

Finally, my tax guy noticed the house premium and said, "My god, thats 4 times what it should be...'

I called the agent, and he offered to reprice the policy. I cancelled on the spot after he offered the new deal. It felt very dishonest.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah i was with state farm for like 20 years, faithful never even bothered to compare rates. no claims.

One day I ran an online quote on some other site and found out that I was paying almost double that so I called to ask about it and was flatly told that they weren't a call centre and advised "its not always about the rate" as an explain and refused to discuss it further.

I lost interest in state farm after that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
St Frm quote for my new 2013 is $808 per year. 100/300 full coverage. I have 5 vehicles and my house insured with St Frm. I am a 47 yr old attorney with a decent driving record. No way I am paying that for a bike I just purchased for 6900. Any ideas where I can go.

·
Registered
270 Posts
When I was a teenager, my father had insurance with State Farm. Every time I got a traffic ticket, the agent would call my father to tell him. This happened 3-4 times over several years. I swore I would never use State Farm insurance when I was an adult on my own.

Fast forward 24+ years, I had State Farm insurance on my home, cars, everything. They treated me well and the price was competitive. So, my son (oldest child) turns 16 just about the same time we made a major location move for a new job. Getting him rated on a vehicle kind of slipped through the cracks. Less than one month after moving -- you guessed it -- he totaled one of our family vehicles (the newest, about 9 months old) in a major 4-car accident at a busy intersection. Completely and unquestionably his fault. No one was injured, thankfully. State Farm covered it all. I am a loyal customer for life.

Five years ago, I bought a slightly used, but well-maintained Honda ST1300. Full coverage insurance, $250 deductible, was $210/year. About a year later, a yearling doe violated all traffic laws, failed to yield, and ran in front of the bike; causing over $3,000 damage (glancing impact, all cosmetic - yes the tupperware IS expensive on that bike). State Farm didn't total the bike as expectied, but covered the repair -- essentially a complete new fairing (I ordered the parts online and did all the work myself). I put over 55,000 wonderful miles on that bike. When I sold it 3 months ago, it looked brand new.

Eighteen months ago, I bought a new '15 N1K. Full coverage, $500 deductible, $540/year. (When I explained it was a ZX1000, not a Z1000 or a ZX-10, I was told the rating doesn't differentiate between the three models.) I'm okay with that price, especially considering all the history I have with State Farm.

Thanks for indulging my long story.
Remember both, the Ninja 1000 and the ZR-10R are "ZX1000"

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
Heres what I dont get.

Your zx is a high risk bike. Fine.

After paying six years worth of insurance, and no claims, are you still high risk?

Also, they have my vin number, and they are not stupid. They would know a zx100 from a zx1000r. AMIG insurance does. Progressive would, too.

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
St Frm quote for my new 2013 is $808 per year. 100/300 full coverage. I have 5 vehicles and my house insured with St Frm. I am a 47 yr old attorney with a decent driving record. No way I am paying that for a bike I just purchased for 6900. Any ideas where I can go.
I went with amig after getting silly, crazy quotes like that.

American Modern Insurance Group

·
Registered
56 Posts
My AMIG quote was not much better than progressive... Over $1600 for full coverage on two bikes and $1000 deductible with no roadside. My current progressive is $1900 with $250 deductible and roadside assistant.

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
My AMIG quote was not much better than progressive... Over $1600 for full coverage on two bikes and $1000 deductible with no roadside. My current progressive is $1900 with $250 deductible and roadside assistant.
The other odd option was State Farm. Ive seen a few people who actually had pretty decent rates through them.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Anybody insured with Dairyland? Are they just in Colorado?
I have insurance On my nk1 through dairyland cheapest place i could find.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have been with State Farm since I bought my first car and now have my homeowners with them as well. For my 2013 Ninja 1000 I pay 257 dollars for six months of full coverage, 500 dollar deductible.

I shopped around in 2011 when I bought my first Ninja 1000 and found a couple slightly lower quotes but they would not guarantee that I would not be cancelled if I make a claim. I do know of others who have been cancelled after a claim where the accident was their fault. State Farm guaranteed me they will not cancel me after a claim.

I wadded up the 2011 when I lost control on a rain slick road. It was a nasty crash and at first the adjuster wanted to repair the bike. I told him I did not feel good about repairing the bike after such a bad crash and he immediately said he would consider it totaled if I did not feel it could be safely repaired. Soon I had a substantial check in my hand and picked up a new 2013 with ABS for little out of pocket.

I was not cancelled, my premiums did not go up, and they did not place the accident on record so I still have a "clean" rating. They may not be the least expensive but their service has been impeccable. Add to this in a three year period between 2010 and 2013 I totaled two vehicles due to deer strikes, each which they assessed the following day. On my truck they even paid out a substantial sum based on the fact that it was in clean and excellent condition!!

State Farm may not be the least expensive but they have always taken excellent care of me!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts