Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a little refresher course in one of life’s lessons, always check the bolts, even if, hell especially if they came installed from a manufacturer. The pivot bolts for the shift and brake levers were the only two bolt that came installed on the Sato rear sets, as I was getting of the exit coming home today I went to downshift and the shifter disappeared under my foot. Bolt is long gone, this is how I got the rest of the way home in 2nd gear thanks to a guy running back to his house and bringing me back some zip ties.
Wheel Tire Crankset Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
460 Posts
Whoever installed your Sato should have checked all the bolts during the installation. I check as many bolts as I can get to and sometimes remove plastic to check some even on a new bike (especially a new bike) and used bikes that are new to me. And that includes about once a year. Good to hear you made it home safe and got the assistance you needed.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoever installed your Sato should have checked all the bolts during the installation. I check as many bolts as I can get to and sometimes remove plastic to check some even on a new bike (especially a new bike) and used bikes that are new to me. And that includes about once a year. Good to hear you made it home safe and got the assistance you needed.
Um, yeah, that idiot would be me.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not just the peg, the entire shift lever was hanging from the linkage. Got home and found a new pivot bolt and back in business

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
I used a small amount of loctite, on every bolt , with my fake Rizomas. No issue other than the shift shaft bent. The stock piece they furnished was threaded aluminum, and about 25% as strong as it needed to be.

I didnt lose anything, but it's a strange feeling when those levers move, on their own, or disappear.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used a small amount of loctite, on every bolt , with my fake Rizomas. No issue other than the shift shaft bent. The stock piece they furnished was threaded aluminum, and about 25% as strong as it needed to be.

I didnt lose anything, but it's a strange feeling when those levers move, on their own, or disappear.
The Shaft that the shift arm pivots on?

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
I typed the wrong word.....sorry. I'll just leave it, but correct it here. No, the parts I have are strange. Very high quality. Way, way above normal Chinese goods...mostly.

No, mine was more comical than that. Your piece is the quickshifter.

I dont have the quickshifter, so mine was/is a simple *** rod. 150mm in length. I called it the shift shaft, but shift rod is the piece.

I know what angles my controls need to be. I have the info recorded in the bikes log book. I use an angle finder and my phone. This way, I can take anything off and end up back where I started.

So, I set the angle with Laser precision, and ride. A few minutes later, I feel like my lever is low. Impossible as I set it, properly. Ride more, thinking i must be screwed up, or my foot is swelling because now the lever is too high. Again, impossible.

I finally stop and look. I realize this beautiful, black shift rod is just soft aluminum, with soft aluminum threads. The rod is bending..

I went home to make one and realized i did not have a normal 5mm die. I think it was 5mm...i only had the reverse die. Go figure. And its sunday. I need to buy a set if I want that side. Salt Lake is closed on sunday. You cant even buy hard liquor, egally, although the homeless still sell hard drugs in the park.

Someone on ebay had aparently had the same problem and made a stainless replacement. I ordered 2, and that was it. These rearsets have been awesome.

I even upgraded them to ceramic bearings. That didnt do anything. I even ordered real rizoma footpeg joints and real pegs. They were 100% identical, so I dont know what I have.

The anodizing on one piece isnt amazing, like the oposite side. It's more charcoal than black. Someone said Rizoma has their parts produced, in China. The pieces that dont pass quality control end up on ebay. Listed there by the manufacturer. I dont know if I believe that, but who knows?

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
I did learn that buying any sort of assembly, from Rizoma, is a mistake.

I havent checked, but I'll bet I could buy any part from your Sato rearsets. If you damaged the shift lever, or brake lever, they would sell you a replacement.

With Rizoma, that's not nearly as true. Although you can get footpegs, and pieces common to other sets, the specific items for this assembly are discontinued. They do have part numbers, but they are not available. If you were to break a shift lever, you better hope someone can weld it. Or, throw both sides away and try again.

I'm glad I didnt spend much.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did learn that buying any sort of assembly, from Rizoma, is a mistake.

I havent checked, but I'll bet I could buy any part from your Sato rearsets. If you damaged the shift lever, or brake lever, they would sell you a replacement.

With Rizoma, that's not nearly as true. Although you can get footpegs, and pieces common to other sets, the specific items for this assembly are discontinued. They do have part numbers, but they are not available. If you were to break a shift lever, you better hope someone can weld it. Or, throw both sides away and try again.

I'm glad I didnt spend much.
Sato provides a parts breakdown sheet with the part # of every piece so you order down the a bolt or washer, my Giamoto's had the same thing, I was even able to buy the GP shift linkage from them. I'm surprised a company like Rizomo would leave it's customers twisting in the wind like that. I love my European bikes, but I don't love the cost of them and everything that goes along with them.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The inline4 buzz will loosen every nut and bolt on this bike if you let it. I've already lost a couple here and there and caught quite a few in various degrees of being spun loose. Loctite is your friend.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've just today discovered that both of these mount bolts are missing on my bike, on the right hand side (behind the coolant reservoir).
Nose Eye Horse Jaw Gesture

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yep, Loctite 242 is your friend.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
BTW, blue (medium) loctite is great, but don't use it on really small fasteners. It can act like permanent thread locker if the fastener gets small enough. Loctite suggest 1/4-3/4" fasteners for blue. I've used it on smaller ones, but I wouldn't push my luck with anything smaller than #8. Use sparingly if you do put it on smaller than 1/4".

Locktite makes a low-strength purple thread locker specifically for small fasteners. It's not as widely available as blue or red, but it's absolutely essential for working on firearm screws, for example.

Reactions: rcannon409
1 - 16 of 16 Posts