Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something to be aware of for those of us with bar risers. I had the Vstream touring screen in the low position today while attempting to do a low speed u-turn in my friends driveway. With the Murph's bar risers installed the brake lever hit the screen and locked up the front brake. I didn't know what was going on at first but managed to keep it upright.

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
This is probably why we dont have adjustable handlebars, isnt it? If we had them, it might be possible to rotate them into a position where this could happen.

I remember seeing one windshield....I forget the brand, but it had a warning g that said, "Use in MIDDLE position, only." Looking back, I'll bet that's why they said this? I'm glad you saved it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Another thing that can happen even without bar risers and/or adjustable handlebars is a key fob can get wedged between the handlebar and the gas tank, preventing full movement of the handlebar.

This actually happened to me once. The handlebar can still turn partially, so I wasn't aware that anything was wrong until I tried to make a U-turn. At that point I almost dropped the bike.

key_fob.jpg

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
Leximon, that's a good one. I learned that one the hard way. Now my motorcycle key its it's own key ring. Nothing else attached to it.

It's also a good time to mention throttle cable adjustment. The manual has the procedure to set this. I know everyone has access to that, but if the cables are too tight, it's very possible to make a sharp turn and have the throttle open. Usually the cables stretch, but if a person has changed bar position, it's worth checking.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I use a tang bag almost exclusively when street riding. When I got the N1K I mounted my favorite Tourmaster tank bag. It didn't fit as well as on other bikes I've had (because of the hump) so I positioned it closer than normal. While pulling into the garage and manuevering it, I went to full right lock and the engine stalled. I had the bag too far forward and it applied pressure on the starter/stop switch killing the engine. I was using my tipping toes pushing it back and feathering the clutch to go forward, back and worth to get it positioned tight in the spot I wanted. No big deal in the garage. If I had been making a full right lock turn under power and the engine died I would have dropped it quick. Lesson learned the easy way!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I never keep anything other than a flexible key chain on my motorcycle keys. I don't know how you guys with all things dangling on your keys keep them from getting all scratched up from the windblast. I keep a separate key fob/chain/house keys in my jacket pocket.

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
Ocl, I learned that keychain lesson in my old chevrolet service truck. I had a decent sized ring, with probably 35 keys. That's what happens when the place you work for doesnt realize someone invented Keyed alike locks......?

Anyway, I am driving along and hit a bump. The heavy key chain turned the ignition off. That wasnt a huge deal, but the locked steering wheel was. It took a second to realize what happened

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ocl, I learned that keychain lesson in my old chevrolet service truck. I had a decent sized ring, with probably 35 keys. That's what happens when the place you work for doesnt realize someone invented Keyed alike locks......?

Anyway, I am driving along and hit a bump. The heavy key chain turned the ignition off. That wasnt a huge deal, but the locked steering wheel was. It took a second to realize what happened

BET your glad u weren't in a curve when it locked the steering

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
It's funny how our brains are. You drive down the road and get a flat tire. It's not like you expect to get a flat. It really is a surprise, but not really. You soon start thinking about not making any rapid direction changes and look for a safe place to slow down.

The locked wheel was a complete surprise and it took a few seconds to figure out how and why. What to do wasnt programmed into my brain.

There were lawsuits over this. It was common with lady's who drive Suburbans. Like me, they had too much hanging from their keychains, and it shut them of, too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts