Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had my Ninja 2021 1000SX stolen in the garage of the building where I live. Luckily I found it together with the police thanks to the GPS I got installed on it. Obviously you can imagine how much damage they did... 😱

While I am waiting for the insurance to repair it, I am looking around for some top security stuff to try to prevent this from happening again.

I was hoping people cod recommend me the best picks for the following things:

- Chain + lock best combo (I don't care how heavy it is as far as my baby is secure ❤)

- Alarm with shock/inclination sensors, possibly with a long range for notifications (there's no phone or GPS signal in the garage, so it has to be powerful in terms of connection)

- Front tyre disc lock (the one I had was broken in 2 pieces, without even cutting it... Not sure how they did it)

- Any other suggestion you may have

Ideally I would like to prevent as much as I can the steal in the future. I know that obv if they want it, they'll take it somehow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I was actually looking at it yesterday eve.
I noticed that on some websites there is the SRX-950 (maybe it's an updated version?) but I can't see it in their website. Any idea?

Also, given i live in a building at the 9th floor and either GPS or mobile phones don't work in my garage, do you think I will have connection issues with the remote?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would give them a call since in normal applications has a half mile range but, if you have a concrete garage and signals are blocked it may not penetrate the distance. They would need to define the signal frequency for range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I managed to email them as I am based in UK.

They suggested the Scorpio Maverick system as obviously it has the longest range but they can't guarantee it's going to work in my building.

Anything else you can think of to make sure it's going to work?

·
Registered
109 Posts
If I recall I turned down the maverick option due to negative reviews and fees if I recall. At worst you will have an automated alarm that disarms when you are near and has proximity and tilt detection with a loud loud alarm. If your lucky the RF will reach your floor. Like most RF devices you really have to test it in the field.

As you know options for GPS tracking without a battery drain i.e. monimoto are better separate solutions in my opinion.

Key to security is multiple layers and limit their undisturbed time. UK is having allot of thefts, check out TMF youtube channel he has some nice gadgets for security of the bikes

·
Registered
1998 Valkyrie, 2021 Ninja 1000SX
89 Posts
cast locks are brittle and will break when hit with a hammer. they're pretty easy to defeat. the best use for the would be as an alarm. forged locks can be better. I use 2 locks on my rear wheel (front wheel is too easy to carry). i put them on either side of the caliper so the bike doesn't roll far.

Oxford Mini T Disc Lock
I like this one because the design makes it difficult to get leverage on it to cut or pry it off.

Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 Disc Lock
this one i put this one where it's more difficult to access with the oxford.

Nothing is going to stop them from stealing the bike, it's just going to slow them down. park the bike around other bikes so they steal someone else's or put it somewhere they can't get a lot of leverage. a GPS is really the best approach so you can attempt to recover the bike once it's stolen.

check out sold secure for lock ratings. they have a bunch of items available in the uk

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
It's already been said that if someone wants your bike they'll get it. Here's a visual reminder. On a great trip to Canada, staying in Revelstoke, BC we get up in the morning and my buddy has lost the disk lock key. Search everywhere, no luck. A couple guys also staying in the same motel come out, take a look and shirtless guy wanders over to his pickup truck and comes back with the right tool for the job. It took roughly 30 seconds for the lock to fall to the ground in pieces. Just one tiny nick on the outer rim of the brake rotor. Turns out they were a railroad maintenance crew and had the right tools. We were happy, offered to buy them breakfast but they were "just happy to be able to help." It was noisy but it sure didn't take long.

Another reason to get a lock that makes noise is so when you forget you left it on the bike...you get a warning before you do much/any damage. Not that we ever forget...

My LEO riding buddies all say the best you can hope for is to discourage the casual thief to move on to easier pickings. Even with the GPS trackers you most likely won't want back what they find.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
632 Posts
A small battery powered / cordless grinder will do the same job in about the same time ( less than 20 seconds), and just about everyone, include dishonest people, have one in their garage.

At a recent motorcycle rally I attended, a "top end" Harley was stolen from a motel capark. Every room at the motel was occupied, and the bike was parked outside the owners room. Surveillance video later showed that 4 people walking into the carpark at 1:00am with what appeared to be 2 axe handles. 2 people slipped one axe handle through the spokes of front wheel, 2 people slipped the other axe handle through the rear wheel and the 4 of them picked the bike up and walked away with it (fully locked) without making any noise.

As everyone has said including the OP, "if they want your bike, then you won't stop them". Buy the best Insurance Policy you can find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A small battery powered / cordless grinder will do the same job in about the same time ( less than 20 seconds), and just about everyone, include dishonest people, have one in their garage.

At a recent motorcycle rally I attended, a "top end" Harley was stolen from a motel capark. Every room at the motel was occupied, and the bike was parked outside the owners room. Surveillance video later showed that 4 people walking into the carpark at 1:00am with what appeared to be 2 axe handles. 2 people slipped one axe handle through the spokes of front wheel, 2 people slipped the other axe handle through the rear wheel and the 4 of them picked the bike up and walked away with it (fully locked) without making any noise.

As everyone has said including the OP, "if they want your bike, then you won't stop them". Buy the best Insurance Policy you can find.
You are right, however, I want to make it such a pain in the *** to steal it again that they're gonna cry before walking away with it... and possibly have still good sleeps at night 😂

Is there any rear wheel disclock that would fit the Ninja 1000SX?
I can't manage to find any.

I am a bit terrified now so I am going to make it a pain in the *** even to look at my bike again.

I already have a BikeTrac GPS (which helped me recovering my baby), I am going to get either an almax 25mm chain + squire lock (home use attached to a huge steel pipe) + almax 19mm chain + squire lock (second one is for "portability"... I know sounds like a joke 😅) or Pragmasis with similar specs and 2 disclocks, ideally Abus detecto 8000 series (if the second one fits the rear wheel too, otherwise anything else you could recommend).
On top of this I will install an alarm, either scorpio (which seems great, just a bit hard to import in UK and deal with returns and warranty eventually) or Datatool (UK based but looks to me a bit weaker than the Scorpio options).
Potentially I might install another GPS not connected to the battery like the Monimoto.

I also found the roadlok stuff, is it any good?

I know it's going to be **** loads of money, but I put in so much efforts to be able to buy this bike that in all honesty I don't care as far as I can kinda sleep at night when she's back in my hands after the repairs ❤

I hope you understand me 😅

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
632 Posts
I understand you, and sympathize with your distress at having your "pride & joy" stolen and damaged.

Here are 2 YouTube videos that may help. Fortnine - Thief v Locks ... & ... Fortnine - Best Locks & Anti-theft Systems

As for me, when I have to park my bike on the street at night while touring, I just use a hardened padlock with a shroud that "protects" the shackle. In your case, I would probably buy 2 and fit both of them to the rear disk. I use a Lockwood padlock, but this image will give you an idea of what I am talking about.

The holes in the rear disk are 7.5mm diameter, so the shackle has to be less than that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts