Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. Has anyone removed the baffle from the new 2020 akro exhaust there is no grub screw and I’m being told we need to drill the rivets on the end cap to take it out cheers

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
From what I've seen, their new exhausts are all emissions compliant. In order to avoid that, you have to buy a slip on, or system, from their racing line.

In order to be emissions compliant, that baffle has to be fixed into position and not easily removable, like we had in the past. For that reason, yes, you will have to drill those rivets out.

I'm sure it's easier said than done, but if you use a drill bit that's about the same diameter as the rivets head, you can use it in the center of the rivet. At some point, you drill through its head, and the rivet will break apart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've seen, their new exhausts are all emissions compliant. In order to avoid that, you have to buy a slip on, or system, from their racing line.

In order to be emissions compliant, that baffle has to be fixed into position and not easily removable, like we had in the past. For that reason, yes, you will have to drill those rivets out.

I'm sure it's easier said than done, but if you use a drill bit that's about the same diameter as the rivets head, you can use it in the center of the rivet. At some point, you drill through its head, and the rivet will break apart.
[/QUOTE
Ok thanks mate suppose I’ll get the drill out then. Odd that hard to remove baffle would be need for emissions compliancy but oh well

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki ninja 1000 sx
9 Posts
There’s no baffle in the Akra slip on it’s just straight through. The muffler is in the belly box and it’s next to the cat. The belly box and cat are all one piece. I’m gonna eventually replace the headers on mine. I wish it was like on a zx6r or r1 where you could pull off the belly box, But it’s all welded together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There’s no baffle it’s just straight through. The muffler is in the belly box and it’s next to the cat. They are all one piece. I’m gonna eventually replace the headers on mine.
Sorry I should have mentioned I have a full system

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
Have you seen some of the penalties the people in this business have had to pay? This is the newest one I've seen.

When something is riveted in, it's considered "non-removable". When we had the 4mm screw, it was removable. 2 million in fines and people wonder why Vance and Hines stopped making urban brawlers. It's silly, but it's only going to get worse.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki ninja 1000 sx
9 Posts
I live in the southeast they don’t care about aftermarket exhausts. You can straight pipe a bike and nobody bats an eye.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
I dont think anyone really cares. Especially on a consumer level. It's a big deal for someone like Akra who could be looking at millions worth of fines if their replacement parts are not compliant. For revzilla, it's basically paying an extra California tax.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve already bought one so can’t look at US vs Aus etc. i mean if they make a fully non removable baffle in the future I’ll go with another brand and they would lose a customer and I dare say I wouldn’t be the only one.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
I'll bet it wont be just Akra. Obviously, the chinese wont care, but anyone with deep pockets will probably pay attention and do the same. I would also bet it's not going to be listed in Kawasakis official accessories unless its fully compliant. That's a huge deal as people can add it to the bikes purchase price and finance it.

Look at the Arrow pieces for the 2020. It's all certified, except for the "race" system

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
I wonder if noise is what's driving the EPA being sue happy in the US?

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
Vintage, i think its money motivated more so than any noise concern. Is it just random that the people they went after were the ones who had 2 million dollars to pay the fine?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts