Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my eye on these pipes for the longest. Sale, plus income tax equals PIPES!

The sale is still on! I have a small scratch on mine already. Don't know how or if I did it, or they came that way. It bums me out, but whatever. I can't keep her perfect, just have to wash and ride til the next bike comes along. You guys get it.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Theres nothing that looks better. Also, the money side of it really isnt that bad. If you keep them in good condition, it will be a long time before they are worth less than 500-600 , used.

The most expensive thing, for me, has been the feeling of looking at my bike and knowing I did not buy what I wanted. I've been paying that price since 2012. Back then, I could have had what you have for about 400.00 more than the Leo Vince system I have.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
214 Posts
Theres nothing that looks better. Also, the money side of it really isnt that bad. If you keep them in good condition, it will be a long time before they are worth less than 500-600 , used.

The most expensive thing, for me, has been the feeling of looking at my bike and knowing I did not buy what I wanted. I've been paying that price since 2012. Back then, I could have had what you have for about 400.00 more than the Leo Vince system I have.
I don't disagree that they look good. I have the Leo Vince Factory S. Which model do you have? I like mine but they kinda sound like a car?

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Leo Vince was a different company when I bought mine (2012) Since then, I believe they went bankrupt, then started again...something like that.

When I bought mine, they had three systems for this bike. Sort of a low life, 300.00 version, midrange, and an upper end, all carbon model. Mine was called the "LV One", and I know I didnt pay over 350.00 for it. In fact, it was 24.00 because I had some sort of discount code from motorcyclegrear.com.

I cant complain as it looks brand new. Its just not what I wanted.

Sound? LOL I dont know what it is, but I am the worlds worst judge of sound. I can tell if something is loud, or quiet, but as far as judging sound quality, I just dont have that ability A 500.00 dollar stereo sound system, and a 5000.00 dollar system sound the same , to me. A 5.00 set of headphones dont really sound any different than a 350.00 set of Bose. I dont hear a triple and think it sounds good . A cross plane r1 does sound good, but It doesn't sound different than my bike. If you had a Leo System vs an Akra system, I 100% guarantee they would sound the same to me.

The car sound comment is a good one. Seriously, Im not sure theres anything that different in our engines than a small, compact car. Yes, ours are smaller, and turn more rpm, but there is a lot of common ground.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
214 Posts
^^ Thanks for the information sir. Come to think of it, when I had my prior, Leo Vince wasn't really a consideration. But this time around, they look really nice.
I "hear" you about the distinction in sounds. I have somewhat of an ear for sounds being the son of a musician. However, I find myself unable to always hear slight differences that others may me mention.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If this were single sided for $500, I'd definitely be interested. I can't bring myself on spend one grand plus on exhaust.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I couldn’t keep this to myself. I shared it as soon as I bolted mine on first.
Mine is due here on Friday, and as soon as I can get some free time, I can't wait to install. It seems to be an easy install, was it?
Very easy.

Take off heat shield on the right side. Loosen two bolts. Slide on retainer for spring clip. Replace old gasket with new provided ones. Slip pipe hanger on, slip pipe into bike. Fit and tighten. After running the bike. The pipes are only warm to the touch. The DB killer’s have a small spot weld on the screw. I left the killers in.

Take pictures! Glad I’m not the only one getting in on this great deal!

·
Registered
837 Posts
If this were single sided for $500, I'd definitely be interested. I can't bring myself on spend one grand plus on exhaust.
My sentiments exactly. $1k is completely redone front and rear suspension. For $500 you can get very nice Delkevic carbon slip-ons. We all have our own value priorities.

Reactions: Volfy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I couldn’t keep this to myself. I shared it as soon as I bolted mine on first.
Mine is due here on Friday, and as soon as I can get some free time, I can't wait to install. It seems to be an easy install, was it?
Very easy! The springs are the only tough part. I used an allen key to put the spring retainers on.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Very easy! The springs are the only tough part. I used an allen key to put the spring retainers on.

Thanks! I really hope to get some time this weekend to install. I've been looking at different ones for so long, and always kept coming back to them. So many others kick up so much higher and would be really close to bags. I'll try the hex key tool on the springs. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You guys don't have the factory side cases?
Both Lextek and Delkevic have options for either with or without panniers. The Delkevic rep I corresponded with said even though they carry both options, they don't advertise the "without luggage" option because they rarely get asked for that.

I do think Akra is at the top of the food chain as far as aftermarket exhaust is concerned. They're meticulous with their engineering work and the quality shows in their product. They are rightfully proud of their wares. All depends on what a rider wants out of the exhaust. To some, they are worth every penny.

For me though, sometimes good enough is just that... good enough. All I'm looking for is converting to single sided, getting rid of the "belly wart" (I like the old-school 4-2-1 look), keeping it quiet with a long can, and lose some weight in the process. I am not concerned about HP gain, as it makes plenty of it stock. Heck, if I end up losing a couple of HPs up top, I doubt I'll notice it much. This is not a bike I'd bounce off the rev limiter on a regular basis. Fun in the slice and dice just needs good mid-range grunt and a smooth torque curve.

I'm saving some farkel money for suspension work. :smile:

Reactions: Darthanubis

·
Registered
543 Posts
Excellent buy at $299. Not sure if it is panniers friendly, but I like the long 20" can, and I like that it is a true 4 into 2 into 1 exhaust. However, the cylinder pairing is not the traditional 1-4 and 2-3 to improve scavenging. In fact, you quite often see cross link pipes between those 2 pairs, which IIRC is to minimize 1 midrange slump typical of inline4s. None of the aftermarket headers for the Ninja 1000 has these cross links.

Brocks, Akra and Lextek headers are all 1-2 and 3-4 paired. Maybe they know something virtually everybody in inline4 exhaust tuning world don't. If this were for the Yami Crossplane I4, I might understand. As is, it puzzles me.

Another thing, the Delkevic downpipes are continuous mandrel bent 1-piece pipe. Both Brocks and Lextek downpipes are made of sections welded together. I wouldn't say welded pipes are automatically inferior, but neither would I call the Brocks better based strictly on name brand recognition. Delkevic is a also stand out for the only system that has a 4-into-1 collector, which is supposedly makes better at higher RPM.

Then again, for somebody like me who isn't after ultimate performance, none of this really matters. I am pairing Lextek header with an 18" Delkevic can. All in, I'm at about $250. Probably could've save another $50 or so with a Lextek can, but I like old-school polished S.S. look. I actually bought a full Delkevic system first, but decided to go single-sided instead.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts