Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Ninja 1000 with the OEM side cases. I want to change out the OEM exhaust on my bike entirely. I would like to go with the Akrapovic headers because they come with a bung threaded for a 18MM O2 sensor (I plan on putting an auto tune unit along with a Power Commander V). But, because I have side cases, the only option I have from a dollar standpoint is the megaphone style (the 4 into 1 exhaust system doesn't clear the side cases, and two standard silencers are real spendy). Has anybody installed just the Akrapovic header with the megaphone slip-ons? If so, is it too loud for the street? My other choice is a full Arrow system, however, the header doesn't have a bung for the auto tune unit and the header would need to be fit for one. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have a 2014 Ninja 1000 with the OEM side cases. I want to change out the OEM exhaust on my bike entirely. I would like to go with the Akrapovic headers because they come with a bung threaded for a 18MM O2 sensor (I plan on putting an auto tune unit along with a Power Commander V). But, because I have side cases, the only option I have from a dollar standpoint is the megaphone style (the 4 into 1 exhaust system doesn't clear the side cases, and two standard silencers are real spendy). Has anybody installed just the Akrapovic header with the megaphone slip-ons? If so, is it too loud for the street? My other choice is a full Arrow system, however, the header doesn't have a bung for the auto tune unit and the header would need to be fit for one. Any suggestions?
Hey Man. I have the Megaphones, and their just a hollow titanium tube. It would be like running it open with the headers.

I have the cases too, and I believe that the Akrapovic dual slip on would match the cases, however it's 1k+ just for the slipons. You are looking close to 2k if you wanna go that route, This is what Ivan told me too if we wanted to do the dual exhaust option.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Man. I have the Megaphones, and their just a hollow titanium tube. It would be like running it open with the headers.

I have the cases too, and I believe that the Akrapovic dual slip on would match the cases, however it's 1k+ just for the slipons. You are looking close to 2k if you wanna go that route, This is what Ivan told me too if we wanted to do the dual exhaust option.
So you are saying it's too loud. Are you still running them, or have you switched to something else?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm no exert but those Akra Megaphones are essentially like the Urban Brawlers, just exhaust tips. I have urban brawlers connected to the stock head pipe and cat. It sounds great as the cat does a lot to silence the engine noise. However, a straight header mated to megaphone exhaust tips will be as loud as a NASCAR. I would expect that combination to be painfully noisy.

·
Premium Member
12,179 Posts
My arrow header, for the 2012 ninja 1000 has the bung welded in. As far as running open pipes, with no baffle? No chance, unless you like serious noise

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input! I listened to that video...way too loud for me. I've decided to go with a full arrow system, power commander V, reflash the ECU, and a dyno tune. I will post back when the bike is finished and I've gotten a chance to ride it. Thanks again for all your replies.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for all the input! I listened to that video...way too loud for me. I've decided to go with a full arrow system, power commander V, reflash the ECU, and a dyno tune. I will post back when the bike is finished and I've gotten a chance to ride it. Thanks again for all your replies.
What year is your bike? I thought only the early Gen's required a flash and a PC? That bike is gonna be strong with all those mods

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What year is your bike? I thought only the early Gen's required a flash and a PC? That bike is gonna be strong with all those mods
The bike is a 2014, any bike should benefit from an ECU flash considering all the EPA stuff that hurts rideability. I'm not looking to make it faster necessarily, just make it run cooler and smoother....if it happens to make it a little faster, I'm ok with that.:) As far as the PC is concerned, it makes the tuners job easier to get that fuel map just right when working in conjuction with a dyno.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts