Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, has anyone tried the Akra header with the stock can on 2020+ Ninja with the stock ECU? I'd love to hear your thoughts on:

1. How's the throttle response (low-mid-top end)?
2. How much louder? I'm mainly just looking for power, not noise so I hope by keeping the stock can it won't be too loud.
3. Without flashing the ECU, would there be any adverse effect on the bike?

Here's the header (P/N E-K10R5)

Dyno graph from Akrapovic's website:
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

Font Parallel Circle Rectangle Number

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
The legit exhaust makers like Akra, or Arrow design the systems to work with stock fueling. You'll get what their dyno charts show. I think you could install that without causing issues. Obviously, a flash would be best, but that's not available, everywher...if at all.

That other 2020 flash thread showed huge power restrictions, in 3rd gear.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I put a full Akra system on a 2011 and the A/F ratios were fine with no changes to the fueling. Obviously your newer bike is not an apples to apples comparison, but it certainly gives me reason to believe that you are likely to be fine.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The legit exhaust makers like Akra, or Arrow design the systems to work with stock fueling. You'll get what their dyno charts show. I think you could install that without causing issues. Obviously, a flash would be best, but that's not available, everywher...if at all.

That other 2020 flash thread showed huge power restrictions, in 3rd gear.
Most likely true. The OP did mention using the stock can instead of the full system though, which will be more restrictive, so he likely won't see quite the gain that the dyno chart shows.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Installed the Akra header and went out for a ride... WOW. If you have a Ninja 1000 SX and keep asking yourself why the quickshifter it not as smooth as others (my GSXR1000, for example), get the Akra header. It shifts NOTICEABLY smoother with just the header (and stock can). Seems like the bike also pickup a little bit of power up top & mid range but not as impressive as the quickshift improvement.

Another thing is the Akra header is slightly larger than the stock header at the collar where it meets the can -> You have to remove the graphite sleeve in the stock can to fit it on the akra header -> You'll have a small leak because without the sleeve, the stock collar is slightly too large. I did a ghetto fix by wrapping it with some kitchen foil but it is not perfect. Any suggestion on this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
high temperature red silicone?

what is your reasoning for not going with the akra slip on as well?
I was hoping to keep the bike somewhat quiet while gaining a little bit of power... Now I might have to go with the Akra slip on too. I thought about the RTV but that's going to be messy & I'll have to scrape all that RTV out if I decide to get the slip on.

·
Registered
1998 Valkyrie, 2021 Ninja 1000SX
89 Posts
i haven't done any akra systems before but i've done several yoshi systems on honda's. they've never been much louder than stock. it's not like going with a shorty or a 2 brothers system which sacrifices performance for noise.

·
Registered
2021 1000SX, Akra slip on, KQR side cases, to be continued.....
53 Posts
I know its subjective but the Akra slip on is not loud.

·
Registered
98 Posts
There are good reasons for only wanting the header. First, akra slip on's are very expesive. Second, they are louder than just sticking with the stock mufflers. These were my reasons.

Reactions: 1043_Rider

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are good reasons for only wanting the header. First, akra slip on's are very expesive. Second, they are louder than just sticking with the stock mufflers. These were my reasons.
What surprised me was the quickshifter smoothness improvement... It used to feel like the bike got hold back and then lurch forward on upshift when the quickshifter cut fuel/power. Now it is pure smoothness. I guess that goes to show how restrictive the stock header & catalytic converter are.

·
Registered
2021 1000SX, Akra slip on, KQR side cases, to be continued.....
53 Posts
to the OPs point, i think it would be significantly louder w/o a cat
Hopefully, since I intend to find out someday. Lots of other things to spend money on before replacing the header etc.

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
1043, if you have time, dig through Akra or Arrows Dyno charts. Make a list of the bikes that add 15 hp with a header change. 3-5 hp is way more normal, or you'll see systems that rob peter to pay Paul. Very few will add power, everywhere, like happens with a ninja 1000 and a good header.

·
Registered
216 Posts
So side question kind of related - Since we only get what 100HP up to and including 3rd gear - Would changing the header increase this or would the bile limitation still be intact?

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
This ride by wire could be different, but typically they restrict by closing the throttle body blades. They can also have rpm limits, fuel changes, or a combination of any of these.

But, the bike would have no clue you changed the exhaust system. Let's say this restriction happened at exactly 10,000 rpm and at that point in time your bike made 107hp stock.

Your new header has it making 115 hp at the same rpm level, so you would get that. Not so bad. The stock 11-13 bike ran like a 750 down low, so we won't count that. Having them removed changed the whole riding experience. The newer machines are not nearly as bad.

Most of the restrictions don't really hurt anything, on the modern bike. It's more of a mental thing. Much more fun when you don't have them, but I can't think of many occasions when I've redlined my bike, in 3rd gear.

If I'm doing this type of riding, I would have shifted to 4th at 8000-9000, anyway.

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
Those db killers make a great point.

The only way to have extremely quiet, and low restriction is to make the silencer portion large. Look at Kawasaki's breadbox and slip on as an example. Or a zx14. The black slip-ons it has blend in, but they are massive.

If you take the small, sleek compact Akra system and jam in a db killer, you won't get the complete power increase. Especially on top end. On this bike, figure a 7-10 hp loss once the db killer is in. That's on a full system.

If you have a stock header, it's not such a big deal. The header is so restrictive that the muffler doesn't need to flow very well to keep the power you have.

·
Registered
244 Posts
What surprised me was the quickshifter smoothness improvement... It used to feel like the bike got hold back and then lurch forward on upshift when the quickshifter cut fuel/power. Now it is pure smoothness. I guess that goes to show how restrictive the stock header & catalytic converter are.
I am intrigued! One of the few things I absolutely HATE about the N1K is the quickshifter. So much so that I've turned it off and stopped using it altogether. I'm already planning an exhaust at some point, so I'll definitely keep this in mind and give the QS a shot again after I switch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts