Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So time for a full system on my 18 N1k, I looked at every header offered and decided on the Akrapovic 4 into 2 header pipe with the Delkevic 8" carbon fiber stubbies. Today I received the header but still have to wait till next week for the slip ons, CAN'T WAIT!!!!

One problem I see with my setup is the akra header uses a spring to secure the slip-ons but the delkevic cans use clamps. Any ideas?
image1 (1).jpeg

image0 (2).jpeg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Houston we have a problem.........
image0 (3).jpeg

·
Premium Member
13,008 Posts
Did the slip ons come with a clamp? If so, I would use them.

Wait. The stock system had clamps, didnt it? Those would work, too.

I have a good, local hardware store that sells "t bar clamps" Amazon has them, too.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I like the look of those Delvic cans. (y)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ya it came with everything needed for install, I mocked it up to figure out how I'm going to fit the Delkevic link pipe on the Akrapovic Header. The Akra Header requires a 45mm inlet pipe but the Delkevic pipes are 51mm. Delkevic assured me before I bought their slipons that the link pipe was 45mm lol BULLSHIT!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,008 Posts
Is it part number 11061 that you are looking for? On the stock bike, these fit between the link pipe and silencer. They make the link pipes larger in diameter. It's hard to re-use them as they pretty much crush and form to the smaller pipe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I tried using the gasket like you suggest but the outside diameter is the same as the Delkevic link pipe and I would have no way to tighten it on the header. I'll just have the link pipe tig welded to the header no problemo :)
image0 (4).jpeg

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
558 Posts
Would it be possible to use a hacksaw to cut and remove a small section (longitudinally) of the gasket until it fits over the header but also inside the link pipe ?

A rough calculation would suggest the small section removed would be 8~9mm wide. You could then use some muffler putty to seal the cut.

·
Premium Member
13,008 Posts
I remember something like this, years ago. Is this about making sure you buy the 900.00 akra slip on? Are you using the single, or double exhaust system?

I know people have used the Akra header and our stock slip ons. Why would delk make a slip on that wasnt the same dimensions as the stock part? T

My Leo Vince slip ons worked perfectly with the stock header. ....that's the double system. You had to eliminate the gasket, and it bolted right on. When I installed my arrow header, it took the place of the stock header. No mods, or gaskets needsystem.-!

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
558 Posts
The Akra headers in the first picture are for twin mufflers.

I fitted the Akra header to my N1K, but used the stock cans. The inlet pipe of the stock can slips inside the Akra header without using the gasket. The inlet pipe does need to be shortened a little bit (1/4") and I used some stainless steel T-bone clamps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thats right Murph but I would say more then 1/4" has to be cut off. Whatever slipons you're looking at as long as the header side inlet pipe is 45mm you will have no problems and thats a good point Roland why would Delkevic make a slipon thats not the same dimensions as the stock part hmmmmm? Well a couple of reasons come to mind.......
image0 (5).jpeg
image1 (4).jpeg

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
558 Posts
Thats right Murph but I would say more then 1/4" has to be cut off. << snip >>
I'm really not sure if it was 1/4" or 1/2" or 3/4". It was more than 18 months ago when I made the swap and I did not pay a lot of attention to the exact measurement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Akrapovic & stock header side by side comparison, Akra header is almost 10 lbs lighter. 38mm primary's on the Akrapovic & 32mm on the stock pipe.
image1 (2).jpeg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Full System Installed, ummm ya it's loud......Hella LOUD. Both mufflers spit twelve Inch flames @ high rpm decel, night rides just got a whole lot more interesting ;) Low rpm no problem, you definitely have to be careful with a setup like this.
IMG_20210719_183627.jpg
IMG_20210719_173515.jpg
image1 (3).jpeg

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
558 Posts
Akrapovic & stock header side by side comparison, Akra header is almost 10 lbs lighter. 38mm primary's on the Akrapovic & 32mm on the stock pipe.
Putting aside the reasonable weight savings, that 6mm increase in diameter represents a huge 41% increase in volume, which is why the Akras flow sooooo much better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Power is definitely up, even without a tune I can feel it. It rev's faster and pulls way harder @ the top of the gear. Akrapovic claims 11 Hp gain with there header, I don't know if I got that much but again power is up enough to feel it. Engine is also running cooler so all in all I'm happy :)
image1-1.jpeg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts