Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be sacrilege to some but after months of looking at my slip on and not being happy with the length I went ahead and shortened it. I couldn't justify paying for another slip on after paying over $750.00 for the Akrapovic and it takes modifying other slip on's as Akaprovic headers have more girth then the stock exhaust. It also sounds beefier too ha ha. I went ahead and tapped the metal end and used stainless steel bolts so I can remove it without having to drill the rivets out again. I also shorten the support ban so it can sit higher as it looked limp lol. I have a fresh decal coming.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Looks great! Out of box, that Akra can does sit a bit low, but I understand why they have to worry about clearing the OEM pannier. Yours now match the angle of the subframe, and that just looks right.

I've shortened exhaust cans before. Last one was a TwoBro Titanium slip-on for VFR1200F. It needed about 2 inches chopped off to clear the Givi G35 pannier. I did make the exhaust quite a bit louder, which I didn't care for but was okay with. Probably changed the tuning a bit too, but not to a degree that mattered to me. Not sure I'd do that with something as expensive as the Akra though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
This is going to be sacrilege to some but after months of looking at my slip on and not being happy with the length I went ahead and shortened it. I couldn't justify paying for another slip on after paying over $750.00 for the Akrapovic and it takes modifying other slip on's as Akaprovic headers have more girth then the stock exhaust. It also sounds beefier too ha ha. I went ahead and tapped the metal end and used stainless steel bolts so I can remove it without having to drill the rivets out again. I also shorten the support ban so it can sit higher as it looked limp lol. I have a fresh decal coming.
That looks fantastic! Not sure I'd have the cajones to chop up an Akra can.

Speaking of Akra, can you say what the ID/OD specs are for the Akra header where it meets the slip on? There's been much debate about whether or not a different branded slip-on will fit with an Akra header. All the other brands give specs for their stuff, and it all fits over the stock header (obviously). Akra refuses to give out specs, but also says all their stuff is designed to work with the stock parts as well. But now you're saying the Akra header is too big for a different slip on???? Something doesn't add up.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
I love mods like that. Where it takes a second to see what you did.

How difficult was it to cut the carbon fiber? I've worked with some that was easy to cut. Other pieces would rip the teeth from the saw blade. I have some amazing carbon fiber that's from the Airbus airplanes. Its ugly, but extremely strong. I cant cut it with anything I have. Even the dremel tile saw that turns 72,000 rpm.

·
Registered
789 Posts
That actually looks great. Well done!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
How difficult was it to cut the carbon fiber? I've worked with some that was easy to cut. Other pieces would rip the teeth from the saw blade.
I wouldn't cut any exhaust can skin with a saw blade. I tried that with the TwoBro Titanium can at first. Even with a fresh sharp fine tooth blade on my band saw, it started chattering soon into the cut. I switched to my 3" pneumatic cut off tool for the rest of the cut. You could use a dremel too, just takes a lot more patience.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love mods like that. Where it takes a second to see what you did.

How difficult was it to cut the carbon fiber? I've worked with some that was easy to cut. Other pieces would rip the teeth from the saw blade.
Not hard at all, the carbon was consistent through out. I measured and marked with lots of tape and used a thin cutting wheel.

Attachments

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks fantastic! Not sure I'd have the cajones to chop up an Akra can.

Speaking of Akra, can you say what the ID/OD specs are for the Akra header where it meets the slip on? There's been much debate about whether or not a different branded slip-on will fit with an Akra header. All the other brands give specs for their stuff, and it all fits over the stock header (obviously). Akra refuses to give out specs, but also says all their stuff is designed to work with the stock parts as well. But now you're saying the Akra header is too big for a different slip on???? Something doesn't add up.
Everything will interchange. I just miked it all, just use or not use the spacer that comes with the Akra. It also comes in the stock slip on which I removed to measure (2.4060 in).

Reactions: Oramac

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Outside Diameter of the the Akra header

·
Registered
155 Posts
Everything will interchange. I just miked it all, just use or not use the spacer that comes with the Akra. It also comes in the stock slip on which I removed to measure (2.4060 in).
Great news!! Thank you! Just so I'm sure I understand correctly, does the spacer come with the header, or the slip on?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great news!! Thank you! Just so I'm sure I understand correctly, does the spacer come with the header, or the slip on?
Comes with the slip on.
If you use Akra headers with stock slip on, remove the OEM sleeve.
If you use Akra slip on over the stock exhaust, use the Akra sleeve.
If you use Akra header and Akra Slip on, no sleeve required.
I have the Akra header and slip on, did not use sleeve.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the decal on there in a silver to match the theme of the bike.

Tire Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
89 Posts
I decided to de-baffle my Akra the other day and after drilling the rivets it turns out that not just the carbon end cap comes off but the whole end of the exhaust came off - Was this close to making it a "Shorty" at the same time - Looks nice

1 - 16 of 16 Posts