Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
yeah - it happened to be a relatively old bike at that point too, but none the less I had trouble finding one for what I was willing to pay. Then to put it back in.... lord have mercy!

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have 2013 z1000sx and was going to swap and try the 2014 air box like you did....did u use the velosity stacks from your air box or did you use the longer ones that the 2014 box had

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
You pretty much have to flash the 2013 to make it run better. It has some very restrictive low rpm settings and messing with the airbox before you do that doesnt make a lot of sense. If you flash it, it makes more power than the newer bikes.

I drilled the plate in my 2012. It's just plastic and you can do it with a step bit from harbour freight. It sounds better.

If you decide to mess with it, it's way cheaper to find a complete airbox on ebay. Lots cheaper than individual parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You pretty much have to flash the 2013 to make it run better. It has some very restrictive low rpm settings and messing with the airbox before you do that doesnt make a lot of sense. If you flash it, it makes more power than the newer bikes.

I drilled the plate in my 2012. It's just plastic and you can do it with a step bit from harbour freight. It sounds better.

If you decide to mess with it, it's way cheaper to find a complete airbox on ebay. Lots cheaper than individual parts.

Thanks for reply.

i have bought complete air box from 2014 on ebay £15 (just had to at that price)...was just going to try a swap to see if any change jist for something to do in these corona virus timez as they are a little bit different from 2013-2014 model.

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
144 Posts
I use a 2012 air box in my 2014, with all short velocity stacks. I did this modification before I had the Akra system and before Ivan's flash. The bike ran stronger and rev'd faster.
IMG_0215.jpg IMG_0224.jpg

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
I thought the lower plate, in the 2014 and later boxes , was interesting. It would be fun to have dyno so you could test it.

It pretty much cuts the airbox in half, but not really because the 2011-13 box has a decent sized hole in it. The 2014 ended up being different as if the engineers grabbed a step bit and drilled holes. Strange, really, because you could have removed it.

I know this isnt our bike, but the airbox info here is fun to read. No idea if our bikes might respond in a similar manner?

Back in 2011 or 2012, Ivan had instructions on how to modify our airboxes. The holes he had us drill were very similar to the z900.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you see the threat/post on the other z1000 forum cumfee sofa i think guy name was..gen 4 air box mod where he cut and hud less volume but seams faster flow and cut lower bit and covered all in heat reflective gold tape..it may have been that that help...he reconned 3+ hp but did not dyno..it was on a z1000 not sx/ninja though

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
I know him , and hes a seriously cool guy. If he said that, it's probably true.

We actually have a better, larger airbox than the z 1000 has. Our fuel tank is different. It's all fun to play with, especially when you can buy an airbox for under 50.00. I wish I knew more about the plate we drill holes in, then put it right back in place. With airboxes and air flow, it's hard to know if its emissions related, or performance related. I need my own dyno.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use a 2012 air box in my 2014, with all short velocity stacks. I did this modification before I had the Akra system and before Ivan's flash. The bike ran stronger and rev'd faster.
View attachment 29193 View attachment 29194
hi

i have got 2014 air box the air filter sits lower down than 2013 one...i am going to leave the drilled plate in from 2014 but use 4x shorts stacks and seehow it runs...i could not afford gold foil tape but have used plumbers silver foil tape and stuck round outside and cut silver builders foil sheet to keep heat refected down the way and laid under airbox..

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
144 Posts
I use the 2014 drilled base plate in the 2012 air box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My z1000sx2013 Bike runs better in all ranges with gen 4 z1000 air box and long stacks on ..defo worth the £15 off ebay

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
144 Posts
There was a member here who modified his 2014. He used a data logger to capture time during roll ons to confirm if the changes improved performance. He determined that the previous gen air box, fully opened using short velocity stacks, with a high performance air filter gave the best performance. He had also replaced the intake cam in his 2014 with the previous gen intake cam. So his bike would be closer to a 2013 bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you define "better" ? More power, throttle response, smoother ?
Just felt less strangled and was smoother from 2.5 till 8 k ..i do not wring its neck everytime out..i just felt it suited my bike with what i have done...chinese decat pipe ,sp cans running db killer in ,lighter flywheel by 45%,k and n filter with the newer gen 4 airbox with 4 long stacks with drilled plate from gen 4 air box all wrapped in silver reflective tape and ...no flash/ remap req...looked at plugs /exhaust port colours..might try 4 short stacks in gen 4 airbox next

·
Registered
14 Posts
Its also geared up one on the front so cruises better and speedo is bang on ...i got a 2013 bike as it was that last model without modes etc and mine has no abs...i fell its more suited to how i like my bikes

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
The airbox mods can be ok, but when Sam was modding his airbox, he also had ecu flash equipment to take advantage of the airflow. Without being able to tune your bike around this, it's not really worth doing.

If someone is working on the airbox of an 11-13 bike, and it hasn't been flashed to remove the low end power restrictions, or removed the stock header, you are truly pissing in the wind.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts