Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
44 Posts
You guys that own other touring bikes...doesnt something disappear once you have all these things we might complain about? My c14 is faster, it doesnt vibrate, ample wind protection. Once Ivan flashed it, the engine is magical. On paper, it solves every issue that we complain about. In real life, it does, technically, but it just isnt the same as rising a small, compact, light motorcycle. If I had to ride from Salt Lace, to Houston, it would be the choice. But from salt lake to somewhere 10 Mile's away, probably not.
My exact point.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I had a look at the Kawasaki USA website and I think they have nailed it with their advertising description of the N1K :

The sport appeal of Kawasaki Ninja® motorcycles goes well beyond the racetrack with the remarkably versatile Ninja® 1000SX sportbike. Enjoy pure sporting thrill with superior power, two-up touring capability and advanced rider support electronics. A force to be reckoned with on the track and a machine built for weekend trips.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a look at the Kawasaki USA website and I think they have nailed it with their advertising description of the N1K :

The sport appeal of Kawasaki Ninja® motorcycles goes well beyond the racetrack with the remarkably versatile Ninja® 1000SX sportbike. Enjoy pure sporting thrill with superior power, two-up touring capability and advanced rider support electronics. A force to be reckoned with on the track and a machine built for weekend trips.
There you go--officially confirmed by Kawasaki!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I wouldn't want to do 10-12 consecutive 500-600 mile days on the 1000SX--it would beat me to death.
Shhhhh! My N1k will feel bad after it's 7k mile trip to Alaska last year! I've also done it on an '87 VFR700 and that was a CAMPING trip. Much younger then, though. :) To be fair, we only did 350-500 mile days and the other bikes were all "touring" bikes (K1600, FJR, Valkyrie). Frankly, on an Alaska trip a touring bike might be better for some. There really aren't any twisties, just a lot of 2 lane sweepers and scenery.
The Ninja tries to strike a balance point like the old VFRs did. Reasonably competent on the twisties, reasonably comfortable on the freeways and all routes in between. Most of my riding has been done with folks on Concours, FJRs and Goldwings. I'm the sporty guy in that group. But about a third of my trips have been mostly supersports, I'm the old man they drag along in that group. How long you're comfortable in the saddle has as much to do with riding style. I've always been in the "stop-a-lot" camp. Every 60-90 minutes, get off the bike for at least a few minutes, repeat. It's easy to do a 500-800 mile day that way assuming not too many sections of tight twisties. :)
I do agree I wish they hadn't locked down the gearing on the Ninja and maybe had a bit more electrical power. The '18 seems to have controlled the vibrations a bit better but it's still in the mirrors. Still, for me, what are the lightweight all-around alternatives? Tracer?

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
<< snip >>
I do agree I wish they hadn't locked down the gearing on the Ninja and maybe had a bit more electrical power. The '18 seems to have controlled the vibrations a bit better but it's still in the mirrors. Still, for me, what are the lightweight all-around alternatives? Tracer?
As someone else has said, "it is what it is", but it could have been so much more.

Trouble is, there does not appear to be many (any ??) alternatives in the 1000cc class. It is either a 1300/1400cc heavy-weight or a 700cc light-weight.

Anyway, the sun is shining, and although the air is cold (it's Winter here in Oz), I may just take my Touring-Sports bike for a ride. :cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Shhhhh! My N1k will feel bad after it's 7k mile trip to Alaska last year! I've also done it on an '87 VFR700 and that was a CAMPING trip. Much younger then, though. :) To be fair, we only did 350-500 mile days and the other bikes were all "touring" bikes (K1600, FJR, Valkyrie). Frankly, on an Alaska trip a touring bike might be better for some. There really aren't any twisties, just a lot of 2 lane sweepers and scenery.
The Ninja tries to strike a balance point like the old VFRs did. Reasonably competent on the twisties, reasonably comfortable on the freeways and all routes in between. Most of my riding has been done with folks on Concours, FJRs and Goldwings. I'm the sporty guy in that group. But about a third of my trips have been mostly supersports, I'm the old man they drag along in that group. How long you're comfortable in the saddle has as much to do with riding style. I've always been in the "stop-a-lot" camp. Every 60-90 minutes, get off the bike for at least a few minutes, repeat. It's easy to do a 500-800 mile day that way assuming not too many sections of tight twisties. :)
Sure you can do it, but I would still rather be on an FJR or something of similar weight, power, and protection. We occasionally get caught in torrential rains with strong sidewinds where I just feel safer on a heavier bike. The thing I like about the FJR, in particular, is that once you do get to the twisties on a long trip (we ride out of Houston to the Rockies or the Smokies), it's still a reasonably fun bike--it's one of the "sportier" sport tourers. But then, I did get the 1000SX for all of its attributes that have been mentioned and would much rather be riding it in the mountains.

·
Registered
794 Posts
True. I just chose the bike I'm happiest on the vast majority of the time. We all have our preferences and since I can't have a 450# pre-VTEC VFR1000 with luggage...And since I'm only 40 miles from the mountains...

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would love to be 40 miles from the mountains. It’s been 40 years since I lived anywhere with good roads nearby. But we take what we have and make the most of it. At least in Houston we can ride year around, although the summers are pretty brutal.

The best part of living in Houston is having HouTex to ride with. As I stated other times, he and I met over 15 years ago and have virtually identical riding styles and of when and where we like to stop. Our standards for riding companions is quite high!

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
I took 6oz of weight off of my flywheel...maybe it was 6.5oz. Something in that neighborhood.

Assuming Kawasaki had to add weight to the stock flywheel, to achieve a higher output, theres a price to be paid for that in how the bike feels. Removing the 6oz made the bike feel 40lbs lighter. Especially at low speeds. This feeling might explain why they didnt use something with more output? I'm guessing that a high output stator would have to weigh more, and have a heavier flywheel?

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Murph, that spec was from Rider magazine, sometime in late 2010, or early 2011. There was also another touring magazine that confirmed this number, so we just went with it.
Thanks for the link to the Rider Magazine site. I did a bit of digging around in their previous bike reviews and found the following information there. As the engines are basically the same in both bikes, there may be an "upgrade" path after all.

2017 Ninja 1000SX Electrical Sytsem
Ignition: TCBI w/ digital advance
Charging Output: 336 watts @ 5,000 rpm
Battery: 12V 8AH

2019 Versey Electrical System
Charging Output: 407 watts max.
Battery: 12V 8.2AH

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the link to the Rider Magazine site. I did a bit of digging around in their previous bike reviews and found the following information there. As the engines are basically the same in both bikes, there may be an "upgrade" path after all.

I wonder if the 2020 1000SX is similar to the 2019 Versys?

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
The engines really are identical. Not that Kawasaki did not set them up differently. Different gearing, different cams, but basically its bolt on stuff that's different. The cases are the same bolt pattern. The z900 is, too. Kawasaki shows a different part number for the generator cover, the flywheel, and the electrical parts. That probably makes sense if it is physically larger. It's too expensive to guess, with brand new parts. The clutch is the same, which really doesnt help.

If I found a decent price, on used components, I think I would try it. Also, the parts for the 2020 ninja are different. That might not mean anything as these parts can change numbers, for any reason, as you guys know. But who's to say they might not have upgraded the system ?

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I wonder if the 2020 1000SX is similar to the 2019 Versys?
  1. The 2017 & 2019 1000SX share the same p/ns for the rotor & stator.
  2. The 2018 & 2020 Versys share the same p/ns for the stator & rotor but these are different from the 1000SX
  3. The 2020 1000SX have different p/ns again from the 2017 & 2019 1000SX and different from the 2018 & 2020 Versys.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Most interested in if the '11-'13 stator = the '17-'19 stator. Ninja's are on a 3 year update cycle. I suppose I could look it up if I wasn't so lazy. :)

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Most interested in if the '11-'13 stator = the '17-'19 stator. Ninja's are on a 3 year update cycle.
The 2012 1000SX stator is not the same p/n as the 2018 stator.

2012 1000SX ... 21007-0135 (rotor) 21003-0096 (stator)
2017 1000SX ... 21007-0646 .......... 21003-0172
2019 1000SX ... 21007-0646 .......... 21003-0172
2020 1000SX ... 21007-0691 .......... 21003-0198

2018 Versys ... 21007-0609 .......... 21003-0155
2020 Versys ... 21007-0609 .......... 21003-0155

·
Registered
794 Posts
Thanks Murphyau. That means there's probably about an extra 50-60 watts available since the LED headlights draw half the power of the Halogens which the 2011-2016 had. It explains why I can have the high beam on with the '18 and still run my heated gear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks Murphyau. That means there's probably about an extra 50-60 watts available since the LED headlights draw half the power of the Halogens which the 2011-2016 had. It explains why I can have the high beam on with the '18 and still run my heated gear.

Does anyone know of these new LED headlights are drop-in replacements on 2013-2017 models? I'd prefer getting them from Kawasaki than an LED seller from alibaba.

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
You know, they may have reduced the size of the rotor, for 2020? That would explain why the bike handles better. It wouldnt take a reduction of 3 oz to make a difference. I removed 6oz, from mine, and it's a difference anyone would notice within a few seconds of riding the bike.

The slightly different geometry would help, I've made those changes, too, but the smaller flywheel weight would be a massive change. That sounds crazy, I know. Theres no way we would be able to load test any of this to find out the real capacities?

·
Registered
494 Posts

Unless you plan on adding 3-4 sets of aux lights, 336w is a lot to play with, even subtracting whatever the bike itself consumes. You'd be fine with all the heated gear you'd want to wear. Might push the limit if Mrs. tags along with heated gear too. But IMO, the N1k is not really an ideal 2up LD-touring bike, anyway. It's a gentleman's sportbike that can occasionally tour. That's not to say a guy couldn't ride the world with it. Plenty of riders do long tours on lesser bikes. There are just better suited rigs for that sort of duty.

Anyhow, the LED headlights help a lot. You can always replace the turn signals with LED bulbs. I've already replaced the turn signal relay with an electronic one, so whenever I get around to it, I'll drop in LED bulbs. The license plate light bulb is also a good candidate for LED bulb, as it is ON constantly whenever the ignition is switched ON. I did that before I even rode my N1k.

The 15A fuse on the heated grips circuit is rather ridiculous. The wire itself looks like about 20 AWG, which has an ampacity of only 5A. 22AWG is 3A max. 18AWG, which it most definitely is not, is only 7A. Even the 7.5A fuse on the AUX circuit is over-rated. That wire is the same gauge as the heated grips circuit. I replaced it with a 3A one when I installed the USB outlet, IIRC.

Reactions: Murphyau
41 - 60 of 60 Posts