Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Sorry for what is probably a silly question - but does the rear wheel need to be off the ground to adjust the chain tension, or can it be done without a paddock stand. (First time doing this on a bike without a center stand).

After just cleaning the chain and seeing the difference I'm going to have to invest in one and figure out what I need to buy but for the time being I was wondering if it's possible to adjust the chain without one.

If not - I may just have to make a day trip to my nearest Kawasaki service centre (which just happens to be the other side of a nice mountain range) - so it may be a good excuse to get out during the 'lockdown'!

Cheers

ST

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Easily done on the kick stand and can be done with just the tools in the kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
Dont go for the tight spec in the manual. Shoot for the loose end of the chart. As the rear suspension compresses, the distance between the sprockets changes, and the chain gets tighter. You need the chain to be loose enough to deal with that. A little loose is no problem. Too tight can cause serious problems, so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. It's around 55mm at the moment (whilst on the side stand). Do you think that is too loose and i should adjust to 30mm, or it's OK for a bit longer.

Around 3,500kms on it at the moment...

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
Did you see this video?

I dont know if it's one of us who did it, but he does a good job of measuring. If I walked to my bike and my chain looked like his does, I would leave it alone. I think he says his measures 40mm. Even though that's not in spec, it's not going to hurt anything , either, and there would not be any advantage to tightening it to 30mm.

Notice how he pushes on the chain, but he doesnt push like his life depends on it.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I'm of the loose side crew also on chain slack. 50mm might be a bit excessive though in my book and would warrant an adjustment for me. 30mm is what I shoot for now when making an adjustment but nothing tighter then 25mm 1" to 1 1/4" is my sweet spot. Found that the tighter I tried to keep it the more I adjusted it and that's not what riding is about. On my most recent new chain I adjusted it once after about 3k and now it's just at tire changes. Somewhere around 16k on this one and expecting over 20 with ease.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone...

On my most recent new chain I adjusted it once after about 3k and now it's just at tire changes. Somewhere around 16k on this one and expecting over 20 with ease.
Thanks - that pretty much matches my situation - ~3,000kms, so I'll look at adjusting it and I should be right until the next tire change. Great to know that I don't need to get it off the floor. I've been doing my head in trying to figure out what to look for in regards to a paddock stand (that's available here in Australia) - at least this will give me some breathing space.

Cheers!

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
I remember someone from Australia recommending a stand by the brand name of "Anderson" He thought I was in Australia . Apparently their stands are high quality. Very much like our Pitbull Brand. I have no info but I remembered the name.

It's worth buying a good rear stand. A good one is easy to use, so you use it all the time. When you have an earthquake, you are glad you got a good one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts