Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you know I moved to the Texas Hill Country just over a year ago. While not nearly as famous as the Tail of the Dragon for good reason, we do have some very good roads. The best are known as the “Twisted Sisters”.

Like the Dragon, we have a guy who takes pictures and posts them for sale. I decided last week to find any pics he has of me. I bought the best picture he has of each of my bikes. The place he is allowed to take pics is not ideal, but it is what it is.

Ironically, the best picture in my opinion is on the FJR, the least sporty of my bikes.

Wheel Tire Helmet Vehicle Motorcycle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Helmet Vehicle

Wheel Tire Motorcycle Automotive lighting Helmet

·
Registered
53 Posts
Some of you know I moved to the Texas Hill Country just over a year ago. While not nearly as famous as the Tail of the Dragon for good reason, we do have some very good roads. The best are known as the “Twisted Sisters”.

Like the Dragon, we have a guy who takes pictures and posts them for sale. I decided last week to find any pics he has of me. I bought the best picture he has of each of my bikes. The place he is allowed to take pics is not ideal, but it is what it is.

Ironically, the best picture in my opinion is on the FJR, the least sporty of my bikes.

View attachment 34037

View attachment 34038

View attachment 34039
Nice pics. Agree the FJR pic looks the best.

I've heard the roads there shred tires. What's your experience?

Also, I'm planning a trip late December/early January to visit the area and ride Twisted Sisters and other roads. How are the temperatures and weather that time of year?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the roads do shred tires! I’ve gone to Sport Touring tires on all three bikes. They chip sealed many of the roads the first half of last year. Since most of the loose gravel is finally become minimal it’s not as bad, but still worse than anywhere else I’ve lived.

December and January can go either direction on weather. The normal high is around 60 and low is high 30s. But it’s luck of the draw. Generally speaking I can still ride at least three days a week in the winter, but never know which three!

pm me if I can help with anything else.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Not an awesome photo - But I like photos that get your face kind of in the picture - As nice as a tinted screen helmet looks it feels a lot more personal

Tire Wheel Helmet Motorcycle Vehicle

·
Registered
386 Posts
snip
Great pics! I think the Ninja looks pretty good too, though the FJR is definitely the best photo.

I've always wanted to hit the Sisters since I heard about them. Sadly, at best I'm about 700 miles away, so it's more than a day trip for me. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: jjscsix and Brian60

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great pics! I think the Ninja looks pretty good too, though the FJR is definitely the best photo.

I've always wanted to hit the Sisters since I heard about them. Sadly, at best I'm about 700 miles away, so it's more than a day trip for me. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, 700 miles away and you may need to haul a second set of tires to get you back home after the Sisters chew up your first set. :)

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
568 Posts
Lovely pictures. You looked very determined and too serious. 🤣🤪

I should stand at some nice curvy corners here in WA state and start taking pictures and get motorcyclists to buy them.
So, how did you get to know that they are taking your pictures and how did they give you their contact info and website?

Perhaps, there are some cool places here in WA, @kenors ... any famous places ? Whitby Island? Twisted Brothers?:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lovely pictures. You looked very determined and too serious. 🤣🤪

I should stand at some nice curvy corners here in WA state and start taking pictures and get motorcyclists to buy them.
So, how did you get to know that they are taking your pictures and how did they give you their contact info and website?

Perhaps, there are some cool places here in WA, @kenors ... any famous places ? Whitby Island? Twisted Brothers?:ROFLMAO:
I look serious because it’s a stretch of road five miles or so of pretty much non stop curves, some of them tight and with limited visibility.

He puts up signs both directions as you approach. All you have to do then is Google it to find his site to buy them. I’m not smart enough to remember what the sign says at 60mph 🙈

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This is the stretch of road he is on. To give some perspective, what you can see in this picture is probably 7 miles or so of road. The curves in the left half of the picture are some really good curves that at 90-100 you are really cranked over on.

Ecoregion Rectangle Font Slope Screenshot

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Not exactly next door but...The Old Spiral Highway just out of Lewiston/Clarkston is a twisty rider's delight. 60+ turns, 2000 feet of elevation gain in a little over 7 miles. For me, it's a blast going up. Scary as hell coming down. Last few times I was there the pavement was perfect blacktop.
Organism Font Asphalt Map Electric blue

Sky Cloud Highland Natural landscape Plain

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
568 Posts
@kenors ,
Are there lots of bikers doing that route?
It needs to be a popular place in order for it to be worthwhile to stand there taking pictures and earn some money. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Sorry, I thought you were looking for a place to ride, not make 💲💲💲. It never occurred to me to ask for money for all the biker pics I've taken. Of the 4 times I've run up and down Spiral it's been me and a buddy. Often, no cars either.

Where you can make $$$ is at the Ridge Motorsports park. It's near Shelton, WA. They have MC days as well as gocarts and car events. I've gone down to shoot friends of mine that do the track. They let photogs out on the field but you have to pay. I had to shoot from the pit area. Some of you may remember the guy from another forum: Bakwheeltango.
Tire Wheel Helmet Motorcycle helmet Sports gear

Sky Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
15,020 Posts
I thought half the fun of the "Rock Store photos" was looking through and trying to find yourself in them. Recognizing the sports cars and bikes that passed you on the day you were in the area.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've ridden the TS. One of my favorite spots to ride.
We are winning - I find these signs to be of little use as the guys that are most likely to crash believe themselves to be too good to crash anyway

Motor vehicle Sky Infrastructure Mode of transport Font

1 - 20 of 24 Posts