Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
Its having the issues with both ecu's.....its probably worth cleaning the injectors? I'm not sure how much time I would spend messing with the throttle bodies, or wondering if they are ok. I paid 75.00 for a slightly used set, on ebay. Totally the wrong attitude to throw parts at something, but maybe with it.

That sensor you mentioned. That's on the airbox, isnt it? And I think you also mentioned a k and n filter. I stopped using the filters like that as getting the proper amount of oil on them was a nightmare.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Looks like you eliminated Ivan's tune as the culprit since you're getting same issue with either ECU.

22 mpg is definitely low so looks like your two cylinders are running very rich. The only thing that will make it run rich is if the ECU think the engine temp is cold. Possibly from a failed coolant temp sensor. You can test this sensor or replace it to eliminate it as a possibility. They are cheap and easy to replace. I don't know how your intake air sensor will affect this also but it's possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks OCL and RCannon. I have the bike back together and it seemed to run good on start up with all 4 headers heating up equally however I didn't get a chance to ride last night. Hoping today.

I do have a K&N filter. I have read some bad reviews so I may look elsewhere. If the ride shows similar symptoms I will diagnose the coolant sensor and air temp. Just unsure why 2 cylinders are running richer then others. I will update tonight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I'm not sure what fixed it other then replugginf all connectors and running over every hose and fitting but the bike runs amazing. Thank you guys for the help. I'm not exactly sure what fixed the issue but my guess is a half plugged connector was causing some type of wrong ecu reading that is now fixed.

Ivan's tune runs amazing.

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
That's strange, but good enough! No ones going to argue with success. I dont think the k and n is a bad filter, for what it was designed for, but we dont really use them in their proper environment.

They were offroad filters. Their solid construction was perfect for when water got on the airfilter. At that point, they were far better than a piece of water soaked foam, or can you imagine our stock paper filter covered in water?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Chalk it up to a bad connection from an electrical plug somewhere and your injectors went to limp home mode or something. Glad it's running awesome again.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts