Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello N1k members,

I've recently installed an Ivan's tune and his block off plates after installing a K&N filter, akra full exhaust (twin), and doing a valve clearance job all done over the winter.

I've just recently taken the bike out for the first time this year and have acceleration popping/backfire upon hard acceleration between 2500-6000rpm. After 6000rpm it clears up and runs great.

Anyone have similar experiences? Or ideas of what it could be? I've done a once over but nothing out of the ordinary caught my eye.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I would look for an exhaust leak. If the system isnt sealed 100%, it will cause popping. Especially at the joint between the head and exhaust header pipes. This type of leak is something that is worse when you close the throttle. Also, if you have a california bike, there are extra caps you have to install on the throttle bodies.....as i recall, the caps are between the 1-2 bodies and another between 3-4. If you leave those unplugged, it pulls fresh air in and pops like crazy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would look for an exhaust leak. If the system isnt sealed 100%, it will cause popping. Especially at the joint between the head and exhaust header pipes. This type of leak is something that is worse when you close the throttle. Also, if you have a california bike, there are extra caps you have to install on the throttle bodies.....as i recall, the caps are between the 1-2 bodies and another between 3-4. If you leave those unplugged, it pulls fresh air in and pops like crazy.
Thank you fot the reply,

I'll order some new crush washers for the head and try it. At some point I'll pull the tank and air box and look.

Decel popping is hardly noticeable/not there. It's only really. Under hard acceleration. Every once in a while I get a random shotgun bang when starting or taking off but it's mostly a quite constant popping.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Let your bike cool, 100%. Start it back up. You'll have a few seconds where you can put your hand up against that joint before it gets too hot. I've been able to feel mine leaking when I did that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may have felt a slight leak in the cylinder 1/2 area however I did notice that the header pipes for cylinder 1 and 2 take significantly longer to heat up then cylinders 3/4.

3/4 took about 5 seconds before being too hot to touch and the other two took 15-20 seconds. Thoughts? Leak? Other issues? I have no codes

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Warm up is probably no big deal. The inner and outer cylinders dont really function in the same environment. Similar t the rear cylinders vs the front on a v4, or v twin. This flash is capable of better mieliage than stock. If I dont exceed 6000 rpm, it will be in the high 40's to low 50's.

Hiw many miles on the bike? What are your spark plugs like?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has 25000 miles. Spark plugs are original replacements with about 100 miles on them. Did them at the same time as the valves.

I've been pretty easy on the bike and unfortunately the milage is at 22mpg. ill put the stock ECM back on and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
That is crazy. I dont have a ton of experience troubleshooting this bike...nothing ever went wrong. You should call Ivan.

Did you buy the bike new? One mod we did, on the original bikes, was to remove the secondary butterflies. That made the stock bike run better, but wouldnt work well with the flashed ecu. Maybe a previous owner did that? It's easy to see if you remove the airbox cover and air filter.

The reason I being this up is because I did something similar to myself. I had my power commander installed. One map had all zeros in it. The other had a map in it that we used with the butterflies removed tune.

I knew i only needed the zero map with Ivan's flash, so i removed my map switch. It was supposed to default to the zero map when i did this, but it didnt. It made the map where we added 30% more fuel active.

The bike didnt run that badly, but i needed fuel at 64 miles? Things returned to normal once I loaded the correct fuel map.

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
Cam timing would be my #1 suspect.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Avintage...I think you nailed it. I missed that part about the valve clearance check. I always thought the teachers were being mean to me when they said I had poor reading comprehension...maybe they had a point?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will start digging into the bike today and do another once over.

I'll check for the valves. I did not buy the bike new, bought it used last season.

I had initially though timing or a valve was remaining open but the bike runs perfectly fine up top and when doing the valve clearance job I quadruple checked everything.

Thanks for the help, I will updated with further diagnosis.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
When you put the cams back in, it's way too easy to miss that by one tooth on the chain. It sucks to check that, again, but I think you have to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So after multiple swapping back and forth between Ivan's tuned ecu and the stock ecu, there is a tiny bit more backfiring with Ivan's tune but that could be attributed to the addition of fuel for the aftermarket exhaust and for smoother power. However I still have a great deal of popping under hard acceleration in first gear with the stock ecu.

I am now tearing into the bike to see if anything else is missed. I'll work my way to the timing along with doing a compression test. Thanks for the help guys. Will update.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
That looks just like the manual... theres no problem there.

You did mention it sat for some time. I wonder what the fuel filter looks like? Thats more of a top end power issue, usually, but I'm not sire what other direction you should look for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't recall the valves being that far out but they weren't within spec. So I pulled the plugs and here is what I found,

The two darker normal looking edges are cylinders 3/4 of which were the ones where the header tubes were heating up quick and the two washed out plugs were cylinders 1/2 of which had a long heat up time in the tubes. I also noticed that the intake valves seemed slightly wet on cylinders 1/2 opposed to 3/4 being relatively dry looking.

I believe I have a over fueling issue on cylinders 1/2.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I went into self diagnosis and found an error 13 (intake temperature sensor malfunction). Will diagnose further.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts