Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have jarred the rear ABS sensor removing's a defective disk lock, was doing some banging and wedging on the rear disk,,. First ride out,,,, ABS light stays on, no speedo and after 1 min all is flashing, engine light, modes everything flashing,,,.
Bike runs fine on and both brakes work,,. When you do a restart the ABS light stays on and after 1 min of operation the whole setup starts flashing again,. Did it five times in a row,,.

The only trouble shooting I've done so far
  • is a visual examination, everything looks in tact ?
  • pulled the fuses re installed
  • Also the battery cable and reinstalled,,. Still the same,.
  • Ran a pcs of paper between the sensor and the rotor,,.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Sorry to hear it.
The sensor spacing is very sensitive. It could be the sensor has been damaged.
Once the alarm is set it takes 3 successful starts and 10 minute runs to reset the error. If you need a service manual, let me know.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kenors,,. Yes that would be helpful, is manual electronic, Ill pop you a PM with my email,,.
Thanks?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to Kens help it seems pretty certain that its the rear abs sensor, seems to match other threads where the rear sensor was the issue, as far as the ABS light and the the other lights that come on at a certain speed,,. Engine light, traction control light, ABS light and modes flashing on and off,,.

Great, one shop is 4 to 6 days to test, others in the area are 4 weeks,,.
Parts are 4 to 6 weeks to arrive,,. Tempted to try and locate a part and install myself?
Will I need a tester?

Anyone know a Canadian internet supplier for OEM Kawi parts,. Boarders a problem with covid,,.

Looks like I'm down in any event,,!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Silly question - did you remove the tire? If you did, have you put the spacer on the right side in the correct side of the brake bracket that goes through the center tire shaft/bolt?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi N-1,,thanks,. No I did not have the rear off, however I have seen a thread where this was the issue which reinforces the notion that its a damaged defective AB
Silly question - did you remove the tire? If you did, have you put the spacer on the right side in the correct side of the brake bracket that goes through the center tire shaft/bolt?
View attachment 29556
S speed sensor,,,. I have read in the manual I believe that they are subject to failure due to shock and this is the most logical conclusion I can come up with,,. Bike was fine, stored for a week then banged around on the rotor removing the defective disk lock and then the light stays on,,. Alerts are identical if you do what you describe with the wrong spacers,,.

Right now I'm down to sourcing part number 21176-0774 Sensor Wheel speed, RR,,. Some are telling me 4 to 6 wks?

Reactions: Ninja_1000

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone with the 2016 know how to activate the display mode code,,. Manual says

• Key on
  • go to ODO
  • Hold mode button for 2 sec read 2 digit code in display?
tried the reset button for 2 sec, it sets the clock flashing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts