Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody been able to turn off the ABS brakes on 2014-2016 Ninja 1000 models. Is it even possible (through the ECU perhaps)?

·
Registered
960 Posts
I think either pulling the fuse or unplugging either of the wheel sensors should turn off the ABS. You'll have to put up with the warning light though.......

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I love my abs, if i stood on the brakes on my non abs cbr like i do my ninja guranteed lock up ive been there and done that in emergency situations and its not fun,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sordo,

There are a few instances where even the manufacturer states that one may be able to stop faster with non-ABS brakes. The reason for the question was for a friend that is "old school", grew up on dirt bikes, and doesn't like all the new fanged gadgetry. He wants to have full control of the bike with no electronic intervention. Personally, I would rather ride a bike that has them as opposed to not. However, my Triumph 800 Tiger did give me the option of turning them off, which would be nice to have on the Ninja. If riding on a dirt or gravel road, it would be very difficult to stop quickly if you needed to with the ABS on. Not that I plan to be riding on those types of roads with my Ninja, but when you are doing some exploring on the back roads, you occasionally may come upon some unpaved sections. I have also heard from some riders of a few white knuckle instances when having to stop quickly while going over those strips in the road warning drivers that a stop sign or signal is ahead. Just something to be aware of.....

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've even done a stoppie, while testing my ABS (didn't knew it was possible).
In the wet ...

If you want to disable it, pull the fuse.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
I am like your friend. I spent the first 10 years riding dirt bikes. Then I was old enough to get a drivers license.

Be gentle, but tell him hes wrong on this issue. I can deal with sliding wheels, front or back, and its no big deal.

Given 4-5 tries, I could beat abs. Not on a 1-1 emergency, panic situation. That "OH F**K! Why did they do that moment."

Before he disconnects it, suggest a panic stop in a parking lot. It will win him over.

Dont get me wrong, I hate it too, but even the best dirt rider wont outstop one on the first try.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a Ducati Diavel. It has the option of turning the ABS on or off. I absolutely leave it on at all times. I have only been in an emergency stopping situation once and I felt it kick in. I don't think it added very much to the stopping distance. When you have less than a second to react I tend to go hard on the front brake and a lock up is not a good thing; it can easily send you to the pavement. For everyday riding its a huge plus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts