Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still enjoying my Spencer modded seat. Went out for a 120 mile ride this AM. But even in spite of the Spencer mod, there is still the ever so slightest forward slope.

So when I got home, I pulled off the seats and said to myself, "How can I raise the front of the seat w/out changing too much of the angle or appearance?" The solution was simple. No, it's not a complete fix to the forward slant but it is an incremental improvement that took about 3m of time and cost practically nothing. You'll only need a few small washers for each bolt & an appropriate sized wrench. Here goes-

Underneath the front of the seat is a support bar, which holds the rear of the gas tank in place. 2 small bolts hold the bar to the frame. Loosen the bolts and lift up the bar. Place the washers underneath the bar, reinstall and tighten the bolts back down- voila. Instant reduction in slope w/no negatives associated.

I used 3 thin metal washers on each side, so it only raised the front of the seat maybe 1/3" give or take. I could've added more but I wanted to use the least amount possible at first, keep the stock bolts, and not create a visual gap between the seat and frame, which you can see there is none.

I took the bike out for a quick spin and by golly, even though this was a cheap, quick fix, it worked. I may add more washers but for now, blammo. All done.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
That is a creative, out of the box way of thinking. The next long ride you get to take let us know your thoughts on how much it helped.

·
Registered
627 Posts
did that

Did that a couple of years ago.....actually had a mechanic use a re-thread inserted into the existing hole with about quarter inch or slightly more of additional spacer height to raise the front of the seat. Then I wanted to change the air filter a few weeks ago and the re-threads dis-attached.when i moved tank up. When I put it back together I just used a few metal spacers and the oem bolts...seems to work..I think a set of rubber grommets would be a better solution than metal washers...if i ever decide to change it again.....

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I agree, rubber grommets would probably be a better choice but would also require replacing from time to time. This was merely a quick fix experiment so I'll keep experimenting!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Nice work Spectreman, very creative and thanks for sharing, its tips like this that make this site a valued accessory in the N1K tool kit!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yes, I agree, rubber grommets would probably be a better choice but would also require replacing from time to time. This was merely a quick fix experiment so I'll keep experimenting!
I used rubber washers from the local hardware store. Lessens the tank vibration a bit and as a side effect, raises the front of the seat even though it wasn't an issue for me.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I need to this,,,,I don't really have the vibration problems in the bars and the pegs that many refer too but man do I ever get it in the front of the seat at 7500,,. This is a must do mod for me and right in line with my 2019 budget,,.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today I went to the local hardware store, picked up 10 rubber washers and 2 slightly longer bolts. I removed the metal washers- even tho I haven't felt any additional vibration w/them and reinstalled as many rubber washers as I could squeeze in there- 4 to be exact- and reinstalled the longer bolts. It's only a scintilla taller and I'm going to guess they'll be some squish once compressed, unlike the metal washers, but we'll see on next ride Saturday.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Finally got around to trying this out and took it as far as I could go. Love my Corbin over stock but it didn’t cure the seat angle. Used a combination of longer bolts, washers, and spacers.

A quick ride around the block and it’s a major difference. I’ll ride it like this for a while and may dial it back to reduce the gap and see if I like it that way. The gap doesn’t really bother me though.

Thanks for thinking of this and posting it up!

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
I can't even see a gap! What kind/size of spacer did you use?
Just some aluminum spacers I found in a big danish butter cookie tin full of assorted hardware I've collected over the past 20 years. I didn't measure them, but two spacers and two washers was the most I could squeeze between the bracket and the frame. The total stack height I'm guessing is somewhere around a 1/2" to 3/4".

·
Registered
404 Posts
Couple days of commuting and wow, what a game changer. No more having to constantly scoot my butt back because my junk keeps sliding into the gas tank. Vibration isn't a problem with the hardware I used, though I imagine the Corbin saddle's heft and density helps with that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm still enjoying my Spencer modded seat. Went out for a 120 mile ride this AM. But even in spite of the Spencer mod, there is still the ever so slightest forward slope.

So when I got home, I pulled off the seats and said to myself, "How can I raise the front of the seat w/out changing too much of the angle or appearance?" The solution was simple. No, it's not a complete fix to the forward slant but it is an incremental improvement that took about 3m of time and cost practically nothing. You'll only need a few small washers for each bolt & an appropriate sized wrench. Here goes-

Underneath the front of the seat is a support bar, which holds the rear of the gas tank in place. 2 small bolts hold the bar to the frame. Loosen the bolts and lift up the bar. Place the washers underneath the bar, reinstall and tighten the bolts back down- voila. Instant reduction in slope w/no negatives associated.

I used 3 thin metal washers on each side, so it only raised the front of the seat maybe 1/3" give or take. I could've added more but I wanted to use the least amount possible at first, keep the stock bolts, and not create a visual gap between the seat and frame, which you can see there is none.

I took the bike out for a quick spin and by golly, even though this was a cheap, quick fix, it worked. I may add more washers but for now, blammo. All done.

I looked at my 2017 N1K but it didn't look like it was going to work. Has anyone done or knows if it will work on a 2017N1K?

Bc2

·
Registered
180 Posts
For those of you who have done this "Mod", I must ask the question of: have you ran into any issues with removing/installing your side fairings?

The reason I ask, is that it looks like "shimming" the fuel tanks rear "Support Bar" would raise the rear of the fuel tank up. By doing so, I was wondering if it would create an issue of moving the fuel tank's side fairing mounting points [A] upwards and out of alignment with the fairing's plastic tabs.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've modded my bike with a 2 washer solution. There is no issue with removing and replacing the side fairing that I've noticed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've modded my bike with a 2 washer solution. There is no issue with removing and replacing the side fairing that I've noticed.
Thanks for the response Kenors. I still suspect, that there is a limit to how many shims can be used before one of the grommet holes (probably the rear) moves out of alignment. Having said that, it sounds like there is enough "wiggle room" to allow some useful raising of the seat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts