Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I just dropped in to introduce myself. I just purchased a brand new 2018 Ninja 1000 from Mega Motorsports in Toccoa, GA. Should be arriving in a few weeks to my home in Texas. This is my 5th street motorcycle, and I bought it for longer tours and for more comfortable two-up rides with my fiancee and son. My past rides in order were:

1. 2008 Ninja 250R
2. 2010 Ninja ZX6R
3. 2018 Yamaha FZ-07
4. 2018 Ninja 650R

Very excited to join the group and share my future adventures with you all.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Congratulations. I went from an 06 FZ6 to a 15 Ninja 1000 and coudn't be happier. There are lots of relatively inexpensive mods to make it more comfortable if it's not to your exact liking initially.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulations. I went from an 06 FZ6 to a 15 Ninja 1000 and coudn't be happier. There are lots of relatively inexpensive mods to make it more comfortable if it's not to your exact liking initially.
Thanks! I've been doing some research on first mods, leaning towards frame sliders and a tank pad of course. Open to other recommendations!

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
123 Posts
Welcome from the Wacky West. You made a great decision. I recently came from a 2007 Triumph Speed Triple. I did really dig that bike, but I'm actually much happier with my N1K. Enjoy!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of great information here for Ninja 1000 owners. I bought my first one in 2011 and totaled it on a wet road in 2013. Luckily all I got were some bruises and a mild concussion. I was so sold on the Ninja that I immediately bought a 2013. Hope you like yours as much as I do mine. Superb all around road bike. Get rid of the stock 190/50 rear tire and replace it with a 190/55 for much more neutral handling.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought I'd share a few photos of my past rides. I repainted my Ninja 250 in white after a lowside, and I made vinyl stripes for my ZX6. The ZX6 and 250 had the most love and miles on them when they left my ownership, both with well over 20k.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Welcome!

I'm a total NINJA fan! I had a 2008 250R, a 2015 N1K, a 2017 300 (after totaling my N1K), and I just bought a new 2018 650! Sure wish there was a 650 forum like this one. If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me with some tips on windscreens (I HATE the Kawi "tall" one with less than 2000 miles on the bike), tire wear, and any issues you had? One of the reasons I bought it was because I really missed the hard sidebags on my N1K (I could only get soft for the 300) and Givi came out with some HUGE ones that fit the 650. So along with the top case I had on the 300, I now have 121 liters of crap-hauling space! That's Goldwing territory!!!:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Welcome!

I'm a total NINJA fan! I had a 2008 250R, a 2015 N1K, a 2017 300 (after totaling my N1K), and I just bought a new 2018 650! Sure wish there was a 650 forum like this one. If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me with some tips on windscreens (I HATE the Kawi "tall" one with less than 2000 miles on the bike), tire wear, and any issues you had? One of the reasons I bought it was because I really missed the hard sidebags on my N1K (I could only get soft for the 300) and Givi came out with some HUGE ones that fit the 650. So along with the top case I had on the 300, I now have 121 liters of crap-hauling space! That's Goldwing territory!!!:D

I too have (still) a 2018 Ninja 650 along with my N1K. It is extremely nimble, and easy to ride. If I end up keeping it, I will have to get a Sargent seat for it too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome!

If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me with some tips on windscreens (I HATE the Kawi "tall" one with less than 2000 miles on the bike), tire wear, and any issues you had? !/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
I had the 650 for about 5k miles, so I didn't swap out a windscreen nor did I replace the tires (perhaps a great sign). I had ZERO issues with it, just like all of my other Kawis. The only annoyance was trying to get the upper fairing clipped into the side fairing, always fought me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Seems like a lot of us here had/have the 650. I loved mine but didn't have enough money to keep both. especially with the absurd insurance rates in Ontario. You'd think a 40 year no accident record, one seat belt infraction over two years ago would do something for you, but if so, sure not much.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had the 650 for about 5k miles, so I didn't swap out a windscreen nor did I replace the tires (perhaps a great sign). I had ZERO issues with it, just like all of my other Kawis. The only annoyance was trying to get the upper fairing clipped into the side fairing, always fought me.

Yeah, the Tupperware never goes back on right, does it?:mad:
Actually, I've had a huge issue already: someone put a California ECU into a 49-state bike!:surprise:I had a check engine light right off the bat, and it turns out that was the issue. It was all covered under warranty, but I was without the bike for about 10 days. At least it was March, not May. And while it was in there, I had the shop finish mounting the bag hardware because it was giving me nothing but fits and it turned out that the blinkers needed relocated, so I wasn't about to screw with that. I spent hours doing that on my '05 Shadow Aero 750 so I could put hardbags on it. After I was done, I called my husband out to the garage to show off my handiwork, and he said, "That's not right,", then ripped it all out and re-did it in 10 minutes. He wasn't being mean or a smart aleck or anything, but I wondered why I even tried. Same thing happened with a ceiling light I tried to replace when he was gone. I figured I had seen him do that stuff enough times that I could manage it. Well, the house was built in 1950 and the wires barely had anything to wire to so I couldn't do it to save my soul. He came home and did it in 10 minutes. So why in the world I tore apart the clutch on my N1K to upgrade the shift spring, I'll never know. In the end, it ended up at the shop anyway.

Anyway, I'm loving the 650!!! I'm really hoping this will be the "forever bike"!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Yeah, the Tupperware never goes back on right, does it?/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif

Anyway, I'm loving the 650!!! I'm really hoping this will be the "forever bike"!
The Tupperware never cooperates, not since my 250. The 650 would certainly have been a forever bike had I not decided to get married lol

It was a fantastic single person motorcycle, but not the best at 2 up riding.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Seems like a lot of us here had/have the 650. I loved mine but didn't have enough money to keep both. especially with the absurd insurance rates in Ontario. You'd think a 40 year no accident record, one seat belt infraction over two years ago would do something for you, but if so, sure not much.
I had the 2014 Ninja 650 too but my agreement at home is one bike only. So had to give that up when I bought the 2016 Z800 and then had to give that up when I got the N1K.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Kind of in same boat. My 650 is for sale. No takers yet, and with the Covid crap, I don't expect it to be selling anytime soon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the 2014 Ninja 650 too but my agreement at home is one bike only. So had to give that up when I bought the 2016 Z800 and then had to give that up when I got the N1K.
Onwards, and upwards agrurudev! One thing that struck me immediately, was that the 1000 handles as well as the 650, despite its extra weight, in my opinion. My first move was in putting on the nice looking and sounding Hotbodies Exhaust, carbon fiber with the rolled tip. Immediately, over 11 pounds shaved. https://www.hotbodiesracing.com/product/kawasaki-z1000-2014-15-mgp-exhaust/ I also got their no cut frame sliders.

·
Registered
411 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I had a 2010 Honda NT700V that was my primary bike, and then I picked up a green 2008 NINJA 250R CL special just because I wanted it. My husband complained that I didn't need two bikes, so when the N1K came out with bags and I had had two full days of riding liter bikes during Suzuki Demo Days, I told him I would sell my two and buy one new one. So I need to make one bike do it all for me. I think the 650 is going to be the one!

·
Registered
411 Posts
The Tupperware never cooperates, not since my 250. The 650 would certainly have been a forever bike had I not decided to get married lol

It was a fantastic single person motorcycle, but not the best at 2 up riding.

My kid outgrew riding with me shortly after I got the N1K. He never liked it anyway ("I wanna take the car!!"). But when he was younger, I told him in no uncertain terms that if he wanted to go to the park programs, etc, we're riding the motorcycle! I don't foresee any passengers until grandchildren come along. But my son is only 16, so that'll be a loooong time!!:surprise:

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
That shift spring is a nasty job. Seriously, dont be critical of yourself for not completion that job. That's advanced work if I've ever seen it. Also, you finished about 90% of the job. That's worth a lot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts